PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Intermittent SRS light when passenger seat occupied

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Sep 2017, 08:55 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Intermittent SRS light when passenger seat occupied

About a week ago, my wife's seat belt light and chime went off on her commute home and stayed on the entire 30 min drive. All was good when I took a look at it and everything was fine there after. Yesterday we took the car for a drive and the SRS light came on as soon as she buckled up in the passenger seat. We only were going a few blocks so we continued on. During the drive, the warning light and chime would randomly go off and on. Is there anything I can take a look at before taking it to the dealer and paying them to play swaptonics, trying to "troubleshoot" the problem? I've checked all the sensor connections in the passenger seat and the only thing that I can see is a connector mounted to the seat cushion is very close to a seat spring. Maybe weight on the seat is putting tension on the wire going into the terminal and pulling on it? Here are some additional details..

The srs light and chime only comes on when the passenger seat is occupied and the seat belt is buckled

If the passenger shifts all their weight to the leading enge of the seat, the light goes out.

The srs light and chime will go on and off randomly while driving, but only when there is a passenger.

At no time does the passenger air bag light come on.

No maintenance has been done to the car and nothing has been sitting on the seat or stored under it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Semper Fi (USMC 96-01)

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." -Einstein
Old 20 Sep 2017, 03:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Post Re: Intermittent SRS light when passenger seat occupied

Based on your description it sure sounds like a loose connection at the plug or a chaffed wire rubbing and grounding out on the seat frame. Do the seat have the side airbags in them?

From my understanding of the SRS system it is similar to the ABS system in that if the warning light is on it will not operate in the event of an accident, much like the ABS or traction control system does not function if there is a warning light.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 20 Sep 2017, 06:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Intermittent SRS light when passenger seat occupied

It does have the side airbags. I guess I'll pull the seat out this weekend and disconnect/reconnect all the connectors and inspect all the harnesses before I break down and take it to the dealer. From what I have read, it could be the passenger seat buckle as well. I have no doubt, if I take it to the dealer, I'll have a $500 bill and no guarantee, what ever part they throw at it, will fix the problem.

Semper Fi (USMC 96-01)

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." -Einstein
Old 20 Sep 2017, 06:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

Found this...
Airbag light ON

I have a similar harness issue as the last post (seat spring pulling on harness).

Semper Fi (USMC 96-01)

Old 21 Sep 2017, 05:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

Anyone know if the professional OBD scanner with ABS at harbor freight is able to pick up intermittent SRS warning light? In other words, is it able to narrow the problem down to say passenger buckle sensor fault close to the dealers scanner, or is overly general and unable to narrow down the problem area? I'm just trying to figure out if there is any benefit to upgrade to the ABS scanner to assist with current problem or just take it to the dealer and take the beating.

Semper Fi (USMC 96-01)

Old 22 Sep 2017, 09:37 am
Regular Cruiser

Had the same EXACT same issue with my 08 convertible on passenger seat buckle. I checked wiring under the seat and all was good. I replaced the inner buckle with anew one and no more light. Easy to replace by sliding the seat all the way forward. Remove the inner side trim piece. There is a screw at the rear facing outboard and I was able to slide the trim piece up and then rearward to get it out. My torque bit drive was able to remove the screw for the buckle and the wire connection is clipped on the side of the frame just forward of the belt. Whole job took about a 1/2 hour and no more light. Wife now happy.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 03:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by My02RedRide View Post
Had the same EXACT same issue with my 08 convertible on passenger seat buckle. I checked wiring under the seat and all was good. I replaced the inner buckle with anew one and no more light. Easy to replace by sliding the seat all the way forward. Remove the inner side trim piece. There is a screw at the rear facing outboard and I was able to slide the trim piece up and then rearward to get it out. My torque bit drive was able to remove the screw for the buckle and the wire connection is clipped on the side of the frame just forward of the belt. Whole job took about a 1/2 hour and no more light. Wife now happy.
After reading through several posts, I suspect it is the buckle or harness as well. Got it scheduled to go in to the dealer on Wen. I plan to pull both seats this weekend and give all the harnesses a good look over and clean all the connections. In the event that doesn't cure the problem, i still have my dealer appointment. The cheapest I found for a new buckle is around $60 bucks. It being my wife's car and the warning light now dinging almost constantly without passenger, i figured I might as well bite the bullet and pay the dealer rather than buying and waiting on something that may or may not fix the problem. Atleast they deduct the diagnosis from the repair, but doubt it will put that much of a dent in the mark-up on the part (always over MRSP) and the labor rate. If they fix it under $300, i'll be happy.

Semper Fi (USMC 96-01)

Old 22 Sep 2017, 04:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

After reading this....

Seatbelts and Airbag (SRS) "Ding" fixed

I think i'll leave it to the dealer, rather than play swaptronics. Could be the drivers seatbelt reel (wont fully retract on its own), the passenger buckle (chime was coming on only when a passenger buckled in) or any number of other components, since its on near constant now and the passenger airbag diabled light on the center console will only come on if i put a little weight on the seat).

Semper Fi (USMC 96-01)

Old 27 Sep 2017, 10:16 am
Regular Cruiser

Well I ended up removing the passenger seat to inspect all the wires and removed and reinstalled all the connections to no avail. The only thing that remotely looks like a potential problem was a crimped wire coming out from one of the connections. Rather than paying $60 bucks to swap out and hope its the passenger buckle, i opted to drop it off at the dealer and pay the $150 bucks to diagnose.

Semper Fi (USMC 96-01)

Old 27 Sep 2017, 10:46 am
Regular Cruiser

For anyone following this due to similiar issue...Dealership called and said all they are showing is an open circuit and suspect the passenger buckle needs replaced. So for $150 bucks, i'm back where I started If I opted for them to fix, it's 2 hours labor to remove the seat and swap buckles. Minus the diagnostic fee, the stealership wants me to fork out $406 bucks to swap out a $50 part that takes 30 mins and that folks, is why I hate my l hate my local dealership!

Semper Fi (USMC 96-01)