Custom Radio Fake Plate

Like Tree11Likes
  • 9 Post By KalebSikora
  • 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Dec 2017, 07:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Custom Radio Fake Plate

I recently upgraded my car audio and wanted to ensure my nice touchscreen radio wasn't stolen. I read around that the best way to deter radio thieves is to create a custom radio fake plate to fool them into thinking it is a factory radio.

So I took my Dremel tool and made one from an actual PT Cruiser radio plastic faceplate. It took 7 hours and costed me $80, but I think it was worth it. I don't live in the best area (Las Vegas actually) so protecting my radio is a must! It's by no means perfect, but it was my first Dremel project and it turned out decent. I'll post pictures below:

The fake plate itself:

The radio without the fake plate off:

The radio with the fake plate on:

Last edited by KalebSikora; 03 Dec 2017 at 07:07 pm.
Old 03 Dec 2017, 07:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Custom Radio Fake Plate

That looks SUPER!

If you can find a way to hide the attachment points better (maybe hidden magnets?), I think you will have a perfect solution.
rckstein and PGBCruiser like this.
Old 03 Dec 2017, 07:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree with coming up with something different than the velcro to hold the dummy panel, that's the only thing that takes away from an otherwise perfect solution.

Anybody doing a quick scan at the dash while searching for stereos to rip off wouldn't suspect anything and would likely move on to another vehicle.

I had an custom stereo with a flip-face in my Ranger P/U and of course it was ripped off, and they destroyed a good part of the dash ripping it out.

After that, no more custom stereos, the stock will do just fine.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
151k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 03 Dec 2017, 09:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah I tried lots of things actually. Initially it was a suction, then magnets, and finally the Velcro. In order to really use magnets I'd need pretty strong ones. The one's I purchased from Wal-Mart were too weak and wouldn't come close to keeping it held up.

One of the main issues was if I had the adhesive sticking to the back of the dash bezel, it get in the way of the magnetic connection. I'd really need some strong magnets, much stronger than fridge magnets.
Old 04 Dec 2017, 08:31 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Neat.

One problem I notice using Velcro in cars is that the glue turns to liquid in the heat, so first hot day you'll be looking for another solution. I had a tiny radio remote Velcro'd in my car on just a slight angle, like a wooden doorstop. I went swimming at the pool. When I came back out the remote had moved 3 inches and the Velcro left a very gooey snail trail.

Then again some Velcro like whatever the tollway uses for the ipass transponders seemed to be fine. Maybe I just had cheap stuff.
Old 04 Dec 2017, 08:59 am
Veteran Cruiser

Strong magnets are in the magnatron inside a microwave over. You have to take it apart to get to them, but I have a couple that I use to find lost magnetic items I may lose in the yard. Those bad boys have got some power! Of course, they're about the size of a sliver dollar, so you'd have to cut one an just use a couple of smaller pieces.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 05 Dec 2017, 01:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

This is a bit out of my league; but I'll throw the question out there: The magnet idea is great; but would a very strong magnet that close to the radio have any impact on function?
PS... looks great!

Last edited by PGBCruiser; 05 Dec 2017 at 01:16 pm. Reason: additional comment
Old 06 Dec 2017, 12:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGBCruiser View Post
This is a bit out of my league; but I'll throw the question out there: The magnet idea is great; but would a very strong magnet that close to the radio have any impact on function?
PS... looks great!
If the display isn't on then no. Essentially, when the display is on, the electrons are moving and can be magnetized, and if it is off, then the electrons are not moving and therefore cannot be magnetized.

I am unsure of how magnets near the side of the radio would affect it, I doubt that they would. If I put magnets next to a TV it probably wouldn't affect it, so I don't see how it would affect the radio.

But thanks for the compliment. It's worked so far, and I believe strongly that it truly is the best radio thief deterrent!