Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Spray adhesive for inside roof liner?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jul 2018, 02:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Spray adhesive for inside roof liner?

it's the top front near the windshield that needs to be repaired. I used double sided tape, but it doesn't seem to hold up.

What kind of spray adhesives have you guys used for this?
Old 10 Jul 2018, 03:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Spray adhesive for inside roof liner?

I haven't had to do that repair but I have used 3M Super 77 on other projects with great results.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 10 Jul 2018, 04:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Spray adhesive for inside roof liner?

Are you talking about the fabric? Most parts places will have special glue for it. In my experience it never works and falls down within a week. We usually end up using contact adhesive, which at least one interior guy called his "trick." The main problem is usually that the padding separates from the fabric and when you glue it down, the padding is glued, but separates from the fabric and it hangs down. In that case, not matter what glue you are screwed If that is your issue, you need new headliner material. It isn't very hard to come by, but it is an annoying job.
Old 10 Jul 2018, 06:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Are you talking about the fabric? Most parts places will have special glue for it. In my experience it never works and falls down within a week. We usually end up using contact adhesive, which at least one interior guy called his "trick." The main problem is usually that the padding separates from the fabric and when you glue it down, the padding is glued, but separates from the fabric and it hangs down. In that case, not matter what glue you are screwed If that is your issue, you need new headliner material. It isn't very hard to come by, but it is an annoying job.
Yes sir, it's the fabric. I'm trying to glue it back to the padding.

Really? It's that problematic? That sucks

Last edited by texas2002cruiser; 10 Jul 2018 at 08:17 pm.
Old 10 Jul 2018, 06:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

The trick for contact adhesive is you have to spray both surfices and allow it to tact up, or it won't hold up. Like fk5 has stated, if the fabric has come loose from the foam, contact adhesive or anything else for that matter, will not work, unless you remove all the flaking material. No different than trying to paint a dirty car. The roll on c tact cement works much better, and gives you more time to work. Again, must be applied to both surfices and allowed to tack up. If you have a local upholstery shop in your area, you might can get a good price for them to reupholster it.

Semper Fi (USMC 96-01)

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." -Einstein
Old 10 Jul 2018, 06:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I've used the 3M Super 77, as previously mentioned, on a few small spots of the headliner right at the front by the windshield. The fabric comes off the foam backing. I have a couple of small spots right now that need to be tended to.

I spray some of the adhesive into a disposable cup, then use a small touchup paint brush to take the adhesive from the cup then brush it onto the foam of the headliner then press the fabric back to the foam.

Has worked fine so far, no problems doing this method to repair the small areas that have come loose. I think the areas that need mending came loose when I was pulling down the headliner slightly to tuck the wires going to my mirror-mounted dash cam. So the spots didn't come loose on their own, but from me.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 10 Jul 2018, 08:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
The trick for contact adhesive is you have to spray both surf ices and allow it to tact up, or it won't hold up. Like fk5 has stated, if the fabric has come loose from the foam, contact adhesive or anything else for that matter, will not work, unless you remove all the flaking material. No different than trying to paint a dirty car. The roll on c tact cement works much better, and gives you more time to work. Again, must be applied to both surfices and allowed to tack up. If you have a local upholstery shop in your area, you might can get a good price for them to reupholster it.
Removing all that seems almost impossible. when i tried doing the double sided tape method i immediately noticed all the flaky material. of course it didn't work out for me.

that's why i was thinking a spray glue would be a better method

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I've used the 3M Super 77, as previously mentioned, on a few small spots of the headliner right at the front by the windshield. The fabric comes off the foam backing. I have a couple of small spots right now that need to be tended to.

I spray some of the adhesive into a disposable cup, then use a small touchup paint brush to take the adhesive from the cup then brush it onto the foam of the headliner then press the fabric back to the foam.

Has worked fine so far, no problems doing this method to repair the small areas that have come loose. I think the areas that need mending came loose when I was pulling down the headliner slightly to tuck the wires going to my mirror-mounted dash cam. So the spots didn't come loose on their own, but from me.
That sound like a better method. I guess i'll try that and see what happens. The part that gets me is that the 3 different spray adhesives i looked at, said that the area has to be clean. There's no way to get all the flakes off the foam/padding. I'll try it though, and see if it holds up in this texas heat/humidity.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 07:58 am
Veteran Cruiser

I agree with grasshopper about getting the old glue off. I did that to Saturn I had once. I used a soft bristle scrub brush, like for your dishes, to get the glue off. I'd say it got about 90% of it off. I used the 3M spray adhesive and just did a small piece at a time. I used a large diameter wooden dowel to roll over it and smooth out the glue. You could probably use a plastic putty knife too. It worked for me for several months and was still holding when I sold the car.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 11:28 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Once the padding starts to deteriorate..
Glue won't stick to it...
I have taken them out flipped them over and
Glued in new material...
Oh crap it was fake fur...lol
VsandFords likes this.

Old 19 Jul 2018, 01:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

i called a few upholstery places and most of them quoted from $300 to $450.

no way am i spending that much