PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Any good products repairing cracked vinyl ?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fk5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jan 2019, 03:18 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Any good products repairing cracked vinyl ?

I have cracked vinyl seat on my gt, anyone tried any products to fill the cracks that would actually last? Any input appreciated. Thank you
Old 24 Jan 2019, 10:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Any good products repairing cracked vinyl ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808PTcruiser View Post
I have cracked vinyl seat on my gt, anyone tried any products to fill the cracks that would actually last? Any input appreciated. Thank you
The most reliable repair product comes from:
FIBERNEW
Middletown, SW Nova Scotia.
902-363-FIBE
It's a staged process with their kit. First a prep of the area, then skim the cracks sparingly with a proprietary compound much like a flexible Bondo. This'll fill in the cracks. A light sanding to surface, spray on a proprietary sealer primer, a second light sanding and spray on the finish match coat of vinyl paint. They can supply the right color after you send them a sample swatch from the seat. It's not cheap. I was about to delve into this before I found a very nice replacement set at our local salvage yard for a little over $140.00 out the gate.

oldseats 012.jpgnewseats.jpg
original seats in SOOO BIG............................................... .....replacement seats

Here's two other kits found on the internet with a one minute search.

Walmart $9.07.....................Mechanics Surplus $23.49 Particularly in vinyl repair, you get what you pay for.
Happy PTin', ptprice

wm.jpgqwpeAmojIr.jpg
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 02:54 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks, Iíve seen a lot of products online, but was wondering if anyone used it and have experience with actual results. Good deal on replacement seats btw!
Old 25 Jan 2019, 08:46 am
Senior Cruiser

I got all my informational instructions from an expert upholster who touted a full catalog of before and after repairs using this FIBERRNEW product. Mine's not from first hand knowledge but seeing his photographic results were believing. The before and after repairs appeared to be absolutely perfect. He did a lot of work on high end collector cars repairing the ravages of age on their upholstery.You might just give FIBERNEW a call and see if it's worth pursuing. Good luck.
If you considered the route I took with SOOO BIG and were going to replace the seat I imagine salvage yards in Honolulu are few and far between.
A second option though is finding an upholster with matching vinyl and having the damaged panel replaced. That was my last resort before I found a full set of replacement seats. The guy did some very amateurish stitching and the vinyl was a bad match. The same shop did some excellent work for me years ago but the numb skull son had taken over the business and sometimes nepotism doesn't work. In retrospect, I think I might have smelled marijuana in the air at the shop.
Happy PTin'', ptprice
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 09:51 am
Senior Cruiser

Aren't most of the GT interiors leather? I know most i have seen are either leather or cloth, not vinyl. That can make a big difference in what repair products will work. Mine look like Price's dark seats and I am pretty sure they are leather and where they are worn, it looks like a scuffed up and folded leather shoe.
Sinbad likes this.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 10:09 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Aren't most of the GT interiors leather? I know most i have seen are either leather or cloth, not vinyl. That can make a big difference in what repair products will work. Mine look like Price's dark seats and I am pretty sure they are leather and where they are worn, it looks like a scuffed up and folded leather shoe.
Your right, they're leather suede and grain finish. The side panels are matching vinyl as are the backs. Leave it to Chrysler to save a few bucks on material. I understand the FIBERNEW product works on leather too.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 01:42 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Center perforated part is leather, sides are vinyl, I can see fabric through the cracks 😂