Advertisements
door service time

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By RickinPA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Mar 2019, 05:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default door service time

Ah, a little rattle in the door. sounds like a metal rod tapping on sheet metal, I know that sound. Time to service the doors. Thought I'd record it for your benefit.

First remove the door panels. Start by removing the sail panel, it just pops off. There's a screw behind the rear sail panel, don't miss that one. Next remove the Phillips head secrews. There's four on the front door and three on the rear door. The one behind the latch handle is a different size so don't mix that one with the others. Then remove the two bolts holding the door pull, they're Torx T-30. Then pull the door panel starting from the bottom. It's a bugger, you have to pry the door panel and use a lot of pressure, it will sound like you're breaking the car when it pops free, but you aren't.

Next, work the top lip out of the window channel, but don't pull the panel off the door yet. The front door has an electrical connector on the door lock switch that has to be removed (with a pry-up locking tab). Both doors have a clip on the door latch rod that has to be rotated so you can disengage the rod. NOW you can remove the door panel. Here's what the door panel looks like on the inside (sorry it's a little blurry):

Here's a picture of the inside of the door:

And here's a picture of the little noisemaker:

The rods are covered with a loose fitting plastic mesh that prevents rattles against the door sheet metal. Over time, the plastic degrades, becomes brittle, and breaks, exposing the rod to the sheet metal.

Here's the fix:

I replaced the old plastic mesh with some Nylon mesh tube I had. Total mesh required for the project, I'd estimate a little under 10'. That should prevent rattles.

While in there I:
Vacuumed any debris out of the bottom of the door.
Applied some Fluid Film rust preventative to the bottom seam of the door.
Gave the door panels a good cleaning while they were off, Spray Nine followed with a clean water wipe.
Brushed a little lithium white grease on the window lift track.

Reassembly was the reverse order of the above. Had to replace one lost screw. Sheet metal screws holding plastic panels always work loose, in fact I noticed a number of loose screws on disassembly.

A little less that an hour per door, but worth the effort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door panel inside.jpg (81.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg door inside before.jpg (93.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg old mesh close up.jpg (76.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg door inside after.jpg (95.4 KB, 29 views)
thehoghunter and smarq17 like this.

Last edited by RickinPA; 30 Mar 2019 at 05:21 pm.