PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How to remove speedometer cover and air bag cover?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shelbyzman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 May 2019, 10:41 am
Cool Cruiser

Default How to remove speedometer cover and air bag cover?

My 07 Black GT has silver on the speedometer cover and air bag cover. I am wanting to paint them black to match the exterior. What is the process to remove them? I don't want to set off the air bag, lol.
Old 15 May 2019, 11:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How to remove speedometer cover and air bag cover?

Taking the battery cable loose will mitigate the air bag hazard. You will need to remove the dash cover to get the dash bezels out. I don't know if the right side is attached directly to the airbag or not on the 2nd Gen PT. The left side is pretty straight forward. There should be some guidance in the Service Manual. Let me know if you need the donwload link again.
Old 15 May 2019, 01:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Taking the battery cable loose will mitigate the air bag hazard. You will need to remove the dash cover to get the dash bezels out. I don't know if the right side is attached directly to the airbag or not on the 2nd Gen PT. The left side is pretty straight forward. There should be some guidance in the Service Manual. Let me know if you need the donwload link again.
I didn't even think about the user manual, lol. Now I'm trying to figure out if I want to do the speedometer cover and air bag cover or leave them gray and do the center bezel in black....what you do think?
Old 15 May 2019, 03:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Probably look great leaving the speedometer and air bag cover silver with console black...

Quote:
Taking the battery cable loose will mitigate the air bag hazard.
... if I remember correctly, it's remove the battery cables and wait a half hour before messing with air bags.

2005 N/A 5 speed manual - Booger bushings, K&N Filter, MSD spark plug wires, APC Taillights, Accra-Form Running Boards, Hubcap Mike's Spoke Hubcaps, Retrosound radio (usb1-2/aux1-2/bluetooth), Chrysler 1949 Hood Ornament, and a Flameball white pearl shift knob (which makes it go faster).
Old 16 May 2019, 10:33 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoghunter View Post
Probably look great leaving the speedometer and air bag cover silver with console black...
I think I'm going to go that route. I'm going to paint the mirror adjustment panels and the pillars as well. Maybe do other accents like the overhead light cover etc. My PT looks cool on the outside and I want to make the interior more fun as well!

Last edited by shelbyzman; 16 May 2019 at 10:47 am.
Old 17 May 2019, 08:42 am
Cool Cruiser

Didn't get a chance to paint the center bezel yet but I did the pillars and that was a fail, lol. There are too many grays and different colors to add black to it. The center console will still look pretty good I think though. Time to bust out the paint remover
PGBCruiser likes this.
Old 17 May 2019, 11:10 am
Cool Cruiser

Keep at it Shelbyzman! What's the old line, "A hot rod is never finished!" You'll get it dialed in and it will look great. Post the interior pics!
Old 17 May 2019, 12:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGBCruiser View Post
Keep at it Shelbyzman! What's the old line, "A hot rod is never finished!" You'll get it dialed in and it will look great. Post the interior pics!
Thanks for the encouragement
Old 18 May 2019, 03:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

It's far from a perfect paint job but I got the center bezel painted. Should I leave the posts black or strip the paint back to stock. The pillars look a little out of place with the other grays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt2.jpg (81.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg pt_.jpg (71.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 19 May 2019, 08:47 am
Cool Cruiser

I think with as many coats of paint I have on the pillars I think I am going to leave them. Do I go deeper and paint the overhead light cover and the other pillars too? Not sure what I want to do