Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
POWER WINDOW MOD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Aug 2004, 10:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default POWER WINDOW MOD

Has anyone done the power window mod that allows you to operate the windows without key-on? How did it work out? Any comments,photos or suggestions? Thanks[:I]
Old 05 Aug 2004, 12:14 am
Cool Cruiser

I just did it to my car. and cant be happier!!!

Folowing are the instructions that i typed up in another thread in this forum.

1. Get an Inline "Blade" Fuse Holder from Radio Shack (RadioShack=RS hereafter)(RS P/N:270-1234)
2. Open your fuse panel inside the car, you will see a colorful fuseblock.
3. At the top left side of the fuse block is the Power Window Relay. Pull It.(It is about 1.25" long and silver or aluminum colored)
4. Crimp one male Crimp On Quick Disconnect (RS P/N: 64-3137)on each end of the fuse holder.
5. On the other solderless connector cut a very small bit off of it ( to narrow the width)I only had to trim just less than 1/32".
6. Plug one into the RIGHT slot that you just created by removing the relay.
7. Look at the bottom of the fuseblock you will see a black box relay, this is for the headlights; next to that you will see where there could be another of these black box relays; as part of this area there is a HORIZONTAL opening ( for one of the tabs on a relay) that is right next to the headlight relay; plug the trimmed end of the fuse holder into that.

Side Note: If you have heated seats, or if you have a 2003 or newer vehicle that is less than a Limited Edition there will be no way to plug into that spot because there is no power going to it. So, you will need to tap into a 12v power supply.

12v power supply:
1. Go to the fuse block in the engine compartment. There should be several openings where cubes can be inserted.
2. Go to the one for power seats (spot 6 is what i used since I dont have power seats) and used the male tab and ran a wire from that (using a female Crimp On Quick Disconnect) through the firewall and to the "trimmed " end of the fuse holder that you have been working with.

Entry to the Inside from the outside:
1. Raise your steering wheel up all the way
2. Grab the panel under the steering wheel at the place closest to the steering wheel itself
3. Pull down, it swings away ( sweet!!!)
4. Look towards the firewall and to the left a little, you should see 2 cables leading out. one is a conduit of power and electrical crap that we will leave alone, the other is a small cable that i assume is for the hood latch.
5. Go to the engine compartment, and look just below and to the right of the master brake cylendar (spelling?) you should see where this thin cable pokes through the firewall and its rubber grommett
6. give this grommett a good shove and push it into the passenger compartment.
7. go back to the interior and pull that grommet to a place that is easier for you to reach
8. Now, take some wire ( I used 10 awg red wire from RS) and feed it along the black cable through the small hole ( i had to lubricate it a bit and it was a b**ch getting it through. BUT IT WILL FIT!)
9. When this is fed through push the grommett back into the firewall ( this wasnt near as difficult as getting that stupid wire to feed along the release cable!)
10. Once again: connect one endof this wire to the "modified" end of the fuse holder that you have been so carefully working towards getting to use, and the other end to one of the CONSTANT 12v MALE connections on the engine compartments fuse block.

Final touch:
Take the Silver metal relay thingy that you originally took from the interior fuse block and plug it into your newly wired fuse holder ( it snaps in tightly, it possibly might be nice to use some electrical grease). Give it a try! take out the keys from the ignition and enjoy your new power window feature.

Some explanation:
In the PTDIY instructions they want you to look under the dash and find a "pink wire with a thin black line" YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!! have you seen the number of wires under there!? Not to mention 1. I dont like separating stock wireing looms, and 2. I definetly don't want to direcctly tamper with existing wire.

Running the wire to the engine compartment fuse block may have taken longer, but; its clean, easy to remove, and gives you a new place to tap into 12v power on the inside of the car that dont involve tapping into D/C wires
2k3 Electric Blue Touring, N/A, K&N dropin, Silencers removed, Snorkle Replacement, BTG Catback Single Tip Exhaust. \"Technogrounding\", Custom Painted interior, 2k1 5 spoke wheels painted black, Next Destination: Hahn Stage 1. (alas! the perils of insufficient funds)
Old 05 Aug 2004, 02:21 am
Fanatic Cruiser

technobear, it may just be me, but I found you first set of instructions (1-7) very confusing. What are these solderless connectors you're speaking of? And a blade fuse holder? I think I may want to do this mod myself, would you mind typing out the instructions to be a bit more longer and precise?
Old 05 Aug 2004, 03:02 am
Cool Cruiser

Chromed,
I spent some more time and tried to clarify on what i was saying on the first 7 steps. I have done wireing like this for years so sometimes what i call something or what i was tought to call it isnt necessarily what it is called. The instructions that i typed up are LONG and make this project sound much more complicated than what it is. If your car has that power slot on the interior fuse block you will save much time and effort. It will make this job take like 15 minutes if youre slow. Whereas it took me 30 or 45 minutes to find where to run power from the engine compartment and get the wire to pass through that stupid gromet!!

Once again if the directions dont make sense tell me and ill work on them some more. I typed this so that anyone could do it if they wanted.

CJ
2k3 Electric Blue Touring, N/A, K&N dropin, Silencers removed, Snorkle Replacement, BTG Catback Single Tip Exhaust. \"Technogrounding\", Custom Painted interior, 2k1 5 spoke wheels painted black, Next Destination: Hahn Stage 1. (alas! the perils of insufficient funds)
Old 05 Aug 2004, 09:50 am
Cool Cruiser

http://ptdoityourself.net/pitpass/gu...werwindow.html

I co-wrote that guide.
The pics are all mine, so I was one of the first to do it.

Unlike Technobear, all I had to do was plug into the power feed for the heated seat relay. I did not need to fish around for a 12v B+ wire.
Old 05 Aug 2004, 11:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

MX-5, Can't seem to get to your pictures & guide without joining the club. Are they posted elsewhere? Thanks technobear for instruction, will have to give it a go. Will try to find a B+ inside the cabin though.
Old 05 Aug 2004, 07:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

No. They are not posted elsewhere.

The diy site is the only place you need to go for anything PT related. There's over 600 pages of info, including about 60 owner submitted guides (of which I personally submitted the highest percentage).
Old 06 Aug 2004, 02:02 am
Cool Cruiser

Thats why i did the text version. You have to pay like i did for the pics!

[}]

Right Mx-5?
Old 06 Aug 2004, 08:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Guys for all the help. Just did mine today. All went well. I tapped into the "pink/black" in cabin wire. Was easy to find and tapped it with the new screw-in type connector.[?]

Now....what to do about the sunroof????[:I]
Old 06 Aug 2004, 11:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

I must be colorblind because when i looked under the dash for the hallowed pink and black wire i saw several that might have fit the description. LOL that is part of the reason that i headed to the engine compartment!