Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lever to adjust seat angle broken

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Oct 2004, 04:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Lever to adjust seat angle broken

First of all, hello everyone. First time I post here... but then again I wasn't a PT owner before

I bought a used 2001 PT Cruiser Touring Edition today... It is basically in perfect condition, I have little to complaint about. However... now I'm noticing one or two defects that escaped me in the beginning.

The major observable "problem" is that the driver's seat lever that adjusts the angle of the back of the seat is broken at the base (I don't know if such a thing has a technical name, so I apologize for my inexistent techical lingo).

Eventually I'll have to get a replacement (I hope it's not too expensive) but, in the meantime...any ideas on what can I do to adjust the seat to a more comfortable position? :-P I mean, it's not that bad the way it is now, but it is not in the optimal position for me...especially for long drives...

Edwin
Old 22 Oct 2004, 08:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Welcome Edwin. I checked the service manual and it doesn't mention the front seat recliner handle. However, looking at the handle on mine, it is held in place by a phillips head screw. You might try removing the screw and what is left of the handle and see if you can get a wrench on the shaft (if opposing sides are flat) or a pair of pliers on the shaft (if only one side is flat) and rotate it clockwise (looking at it from the outside of the car). If you have a strap wrench you might try turning whatever is left of the plastic handle without removing it. It only turns a few degrees to unlock (less than 20 degrees). Try not to bugger up the shaft or you will be in much worse shape than you are now. You should not be leaning against the back of the seat when you are trying to release it as the extra pressure works against you.

I doubt that the plastic handle itself is an expensive item so you might want to check on replacing it first.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 23 Oct 2004, 01:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your reply and welcome, Michael... [8D] I'll try to follow your advice...

I didn't really notice if the screw was still there. From what I remember, I could only see a metal coil in the hole with some remaining plastic in the middle... I do hope the shaft is still in good condition...

Can't imagine how the previous owner could've ripped that thing off. The passenger-side lever unlocks the backrest with very little pressure... must've been some kind of freakish accident.

I'll post again later, whether I'm successful or not. Again, thanks for the thoughtful and thorough advice...

Regards,

Edwin

P.S. *sigh* I think I should buy myself a digital camera for situations like this one, since I think my descriptions suck and a picture would be more effective, but this will have to do for now. :P
Old 23 Oct 2004, 03:38 am
Cool Cruiser

on my van it popped right off when my coat snagged it. Aparently once its ready to go it dont take much to break it.
2k3 Electric Blue Touring, N/A, K&N dropin, Silencers removed, Snorkle Replacement, BTG Catback Single Tip Exhaust. \"Technogrounding\", Custom Painted interior, 2k1 5 spoke wheels painted black, Next Destination: Hahn Stage 1. (alas! the perils of insufficient funds)
Old 23 Oct 2004, 04:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by technobear

on my van it popped right off when my coat snagged it. Aparently once its ready to go it dont take much to break it.
Yikes... is it possible to get sturdier ones (made of metal perhaps)?

Did the lever popped off alone, or did it take the screw with it as well?
Old 23 Oct 2004, 10:43 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

Edwin,
Welcome to the forum. I looked in my parts manual and found the part I believe is the correct one. It says adjuster recline, drivers side- #5018529AA. You also might want to check this site:https://www.1stchryslerparts.com/oe_parts_catalog.html When entering info use collision bullet.Mopar OEM site

Gonz
Old 12 Nov 2004, 07:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to this forum Edwin. You came to the right place
to get your answer. These guys on here know everything
about Cruiser and are happy to help.
gonz nice web sight , I put it in my favorites

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 13 Nov 2004, 11:05 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

Jimbo,
They are wholesale prices also, plus shipping. I've purchased alot of stuff from them. You can email or call on the phone to order or ask questions about part descriptions
Old 10 Nov 2009, 07:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Lever to adjust seat angle broken

Glad I found this thread in the Search.

On my 01 Limited over the weekend, the shaft that the recliner lever screws to broke!
It simply sheared off like it was barely hanging on.
I'll post a picture later.

I have the leather seats with power stuff, but mechanical recline. Does anyone have info on if it is possible to get the new shaft or needed part?

I would hate to try and locate a new seat since mine are wonderfully aged leather now. Plus the color match thing woud be a nightmare.

Any helpful info would awesome.
Old 10 Nov 2009, 08:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Lever to adjust seat angle broken

Someone on the forum is parting out a '01 or '02. Check it out.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar