Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Console apart, OK, now what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Dec 2004, 09:43 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Console apart, OK, now what?

I got the console off, and could not find anything that seemed out of place. I took it for a test drive, console off, and the vibration was still there, very faint now, but I could still hear it. I installed booger bushings several weeks ago, and have had the problem ever since. I used a good amount of force to put the two shifter bushings on, but nothing popped or snapped or broke. So, anyone have any thoughts or possibilities? It only vibrates between 3,000-5,000 RPM, and it comes and goes.
Old 31 Dec 2004, 12:17 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to CJJ

What I usually do is have someone else drive the car while I poke around to see if I can find the source of the rattle. Many times I've been able to find it by touching the various components until I find the one that is the problem CJJ
Old 31 Dec 2004, 03:52 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I believe I've narrowed the problem down to the piece on which the shifter arm goes through to connect up with the linkages. It's got what looks like a ball socket and is surrounded by a large metal black piece. Any ideas what it could be? Would switching to a hurst short throw take this problem away? Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 31 Dec 2004, 12:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Old trick of mine - shoot everything with silicone rubber. When it starts to set, move things so they're not bound, but should stop any vibration noise and shouldn't hurt anything. [:I]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 31 Dec 2004, 05:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote: It's got what looks like a ball socket and is surrounded by a large metal black piece.
If its the plastic ball (about 2" to 2-1/2" diameter) thats loose & rattling, it sounds like this pivot socket may be worn & needs to be replaced. The Hurst STS won't fix that as this pivot socket is reused in a new molding from the Hurst kit.

However the Hurst will solve a bunch of other issues. [8)]
Old 31 Dec 2004, 05:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

quicksilver: heard of silicone rubber, but have no clue where to find it. Will this affect shifting at all?
Old 31 Dec 2004, 07:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CHROMEDCRUISER

quicksilver: heard of silicone rubber, but have no clue where to find it. Will this affect shifting at all?
Sounds like Silicone Spray he was using. WD-40[:I] maybe.
Old 31 Dec 2004, 08:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I gave the whole shifter area a good spray of WD-40. It sounds like a metallic vibration/rattle/buzzing. It's really difficult to explain. If it's the pivot socket, is it under warranty? Should I take it to the dealer and have them look at it? It's not a mechanical failure, everything runs great and smooth, it's just very annoying.
Old 03 Jan 2005, 04:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Since you've replaced your nylon bushings with metal ones, you may have tightened up your linkage to the point to where it transmits in vibrations from the engine compartment.
He meant silicone rubber. He's using it as a soft rubber gasket to be a vibration dampener. It's at the auto store next to the glues. Since you've sprayed WD40/silicone spray, you'll need to clean it off for the rubber to stick. B-12 is great for this but can hurt everything else. BE VERY CAREFULL WHAT YOU PUT THIS ON! Maybe spray it on some cloth and just wipe with it. Put WD40 on a cloth and lightly wipe any surface you want to rotate/move after it cures.
Old 07 Jan 2005, 05:44 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Just my opinion. Remove the 3 bolts that holds the shifter stick/ball and then lay a bead of grease to the upper aluminum housing and the black plastic insert bushing and see if that solves your problem. There really isn't much that will vibrate in the shifter area unless the insert is worn out. Can look at the pictures here to see how to disassemble the shifter mechanism, it's for installing a Hurst shifter, but it also works for the stock shifter:
http://ptcruiserworld.tenmagazines.c...-shape_shifter

Might as well take apart the actuator and grease that as well while you have everything apart. There's a "C" clip that holds it in. A synthetic, marine, or aluminum complex grease will last longer than a lithium complex grease, but the choice of grease is up to you. See if greasing those areas solves your problem. Also did you grease the booger bushings? They should have just snapped/locked into place on with just a moderate amount of force.

Hope this helps.

[8)]