Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Chrome trim rings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jan 2005, 08:48 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Chrome trim rings

Has anybody installed those chrome trim rings that go around your front door speakers and also the ac/heater control knobs? Also I see you can get them in chrome plated plastic or billet/chrome plated. I like the way it looks but it is not cheap and would like to see if anybody out there has them and likes them or not worth the money....
Old 03 Jan 2005, 12:43 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I have the chrome rings around the AC knobs. Got them from a friend after they would not fit his GT dash. They stick on with some black sticky crap. They look good and fit is ok but I do have to press them back in place once in awhile.
Old 03 Jan 2005, 12:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks for your reply. I have ordered a set of four and will see what is on the back. I would think that they woulf use the 3m type tape. This black sticky crap does it marr the plastic at all or can you remove it without damage? also you mention they come looose at times how often does this happen? I am paying around 60 bucks for a set of four that are billet then chrom plated. I sure dont want them to keep coming off at times....
Old 08 Jan 2005, 10:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

They haven't actually come out its just that they don't fit as well as I wish they did. The guy I got them from has a '03 Dreamer and they didn't fit his dash at all. If you get the black stuff to mount them with, you only need to use a little. It has not gotten on the dash but if you try and use to much, then it may get on your dash but it comes off fairly easy. I'm not sure 3M would work because you would have to cut such a thin piece but it may be worth a try.
Old 09 Jan 2005, 02:51 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rszappa1

Has anybody installed those chrome trim rings that go around your front door speakers...it is not cheap and would like to see if anybody out there has them and likes them or not worth the money....
I received a pair of the front door speaker rings as a Christmas gift from one of my kids. They are very pricey ($70) and the picture in the Moss Motors catalog was different from what was received. Due to the extremely small width and bend in the shape they did not fit well (kept coming out of the enclosure as the 3M tape would not hold them securely in place). Futhermore, some of the chrome had peeled off on one of them. Therefore, they have been returned to the company for a refund. IMHO, they are not worth the money. I would NOT recommend them. [V] [B)]

PS: I have some of the other dash chrome surround pieces made in Germany by the same company. They fit well, look good, and there are no problems with them staying in place with their 3M tape backing.
Old 09 Jan 2005, 04:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have the chrome-plated trim rings for the heater-a/c knobs. They're all metal and fairly wide. I got them quite some time ago and they didn't have any adhesive so I attached them with GOOP and they stayed in place very well until I took them off to transfer them to a new center console that was painted pewter. As a bonus, the GOOP cleaned up perfectly (peels off like rubber cement) from the other console so that I have that one left in perfect shape for a future project. I also have the chrome plated radio surround - it's pricy for he amount of metal you actually get, but quite nice too. That attached with some 3m tape to my old console but came off quite nicely and was also attached to my new console using GOOP.
Old 09 Jan 2005, 04:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It looks as if these are not very wide at all. I will wait and see when I recieve them on monday to see if I like them...Hey gary you seen to have all of the goodies on you PT. I notice you do not have the trim rings on yours.
Old 09 Jan 2005, 05:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

Here's a pic of my setup. Excuse the white dots on some of the chrome. They're just artifacts from the flash - the finish is actually quite smooth. My a/c knobs are polished billett, not chrome like the others. When I bought them, no one had chrome out yet.

Old 09 Jan 2005, 06:16 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rszappa1
...Hey gary... I notice you do not have the trim rings on yours.
I gave it some thought, but, decided against it because as they say..."More is less."
Old 10 Jan 2005, 09:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Well I recieved the chrome trim rings today from race and street. I really like them they are not plastic they are metal and you have two ways to put them on. One is with a glue that looks like super glue or black butyle. I chose the black butyle. You just use a razor blade and cut some very small peiced and install. plus this stuff will not mar the plastic. The super glue can if you get a drip or it begins to flow before it setes up. I think I will get the speaker rings next...