Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Chrome door knobs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jan 2005, 08:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Chrome door knobs

I recieved the mgw Billet Chrome plated door knobs and something in the directions worry me. It says to unscrew the old one and when you get almost all the way out the bottom of the facrory ones have a hex bottom on it. It says to bend and twist a little as you are unscrewing the door knob. It says that the hole may become ocal shaped byt you can press it back. I must say that the chrome door knobs look great but I really do not want to take a chance in damanging the door panel. I am sure that there are a bunch of you that have replaced this door knob. have you had any problems or and damage to the hole when removing it. I am really concerned that I will damage the hole.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 01:33 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rszappa1
...I must say that the chrome door knobs look great but I really do not want to take a chance in damanging the door panel. I am sure that there are a bunch of you that have replaced this door knob. have you had any problems or and damage to the hole when removing it. I am really concerned that I will damage the hole.
Just be firm but gentle and the installation should be fine. The holes are definitely very tight. Good luck.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 10:40 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

yeah i messed mine up a little but i made sure it was the outside part so the lock knob hid it.
if i were to do it again i would remove the door panel first.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 11:42 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Funny you mentioned that. MGW actually said that the best is to remove the door panel first. That seems like way to much work for door knobs. Does anybody make some kind of overlay that you put over the stack ones??
Old 21 Jan 2005, 06:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Removing the door panel takes less then 4 minutes if you chose to do it that way. I replaced mine with no damage at all. Just go slow.

http://ptcw.truckmoxie.com/mygallery.ten?id=3466
Old 21 Jan 2005, 10:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The stock plugs do have a square bottom but if you wiggle it as you pull up they will come out with no problem. It may misshape your panel a little but just use your finger to reshape it. Its really easy.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 12:55 am
Regular Cruiser

It's a piece of cake! I did it with no problems and used one those orange stick thingys to reshape the holes. MGWs chrome stuff is the best! Wish they'd make more.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 10:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks for all of you comments. After looking at the MGW site and looking at the picture they have of them installed and enlarging the picture. I can see where it has marred the hole in a few spots. I did install them but took off each panel and did it that way..
Old 22 Apr 2007, 04:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Chrome door knobs

On this subject, does anyone know of a manufacturer or link to a place that sells the chrome or rubber grommets that are the ring that goes around the door lock pins for the PT 2006? I got myself a skull set and they are not flush with the original pin hole, quite smaller. thanks for any help!