Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front licensr plate holder holes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jun 2005, 07:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Front licensr plate holder holes

I am new to this forum 6/4/05. I need some help! I bought a new PT Turbo Conv. "High Output", and the car had a front license plate holder on it. I think it looks bad so I took it off and there are 4 holes now open in the front bumper. I know someone had to have this very same thing happen to them. Is there any way other than body work to plug, or possible fill the holes with something and then possibly use touch up paint to hide as best as possible where the holes are ? I appreciate any advice you all can give me.

Thank you,

Larry Gregg - Lakeland, FL
Old 04 Jun 2005, 10:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum Larry. You sortof answered your own question on how to go about getting rid of the holes without a body shop. But will it ever match up perfectly as a body shop can do it...depends on how good you are taking on a job like that. Any auto store will have a small can/tube of body filler to put in the holes. Let dry, use very fine sandpaper and wet-send it down and the surrounding area, then get ahold of the factory spray touchup paint from the dealer and put a couple light coats on. Wet sand again, another light coat and see how it turns out. There's also a clear coat on the bumper from the factory and you can buy small cans of that too. Don't spray anything in humid air we have in Florida. Pick a time when it cools down.

P.S. What's this got to do with interior accessories. [:I]
Old 05 Jun 2005, 11:30 am
Senior Cruiser

A few years ago I had a Dodge Ram that was all tricked out like a show truck and I didn't want to have the front plate on the bumper. The color was an emerald green, sort of dark. I happened to have some soft, black rubber plugs with 3/8" mushroom shaped heads in my coffee can of odds and ends. I shoved those in the holes and was quite happy with how they looked.
Old 05 Jun 2005, 04:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

2Step,

Actually, I did the same thing to my wife's SUV and painted them the same ugly gray that the bumpers came with, but I don't think Larry would be pleased with what they look like on the cruiser...but I might be wrong. [:I]
Old 05 Jun 2005, 04:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Larry your lucky you live in a state that doesn't require
a front plate.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 07 Jun 2005, 09:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'd say don't hide them, get some Stainless hex-head bolts at home depot and put those in.
You can also have a personal front plate made.
They won't become invisible without body work.[:I]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Jun 2005, 12:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you all for replying to me. I found some mushroom push in plugs and used a bottle of touch up paint given to me by the dealer, and actually it looks pretty good. I took the car down to the dealer to get rear flaps put on and the dealer asked me who pluged the front bumper holes after removal of the front plate holder and I told him I did. They said it looked good and are going to use the same option if someone else doesn't want the front plate holder. The plugs can be removed for future what ever.

The plugs were bought at a local auto parts store, and are made for chrysler to attach various plastic areas on chrysler cars.

Again thanks for the help !
Old 12 Mar 2008, 01:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Front licensr plate holder holes

As to not create a new thread on something already open, I will post here

I ahve a question, In the state of VA we have to have the front license plate, however I dont like the placement of it being right on the front bumper.

Is there a way to mount it under the bumper on the lower grill? I think I saw someone with this once before, but I haveno cluse how. Also will this restrict any air flow that would be a problem if I were to do it?

I see how some have plugged the holes, so I will attempt that if I am abl eto acomplish this, but I wanted some imput on it

thanks all
Old 12 Mar 2008, 10:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Front licensr plate holder holes

Larry,
Just want to point out that the bumper is "exterior"!
This subject has been discussed a lot before. See this thread....
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/exterior-accessories-forum/15060-removed-front-license-plate.html
Old 13 Mar 2008, 12:55 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Front licensr plate holder holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Larry,
Just want to point out that the bumper is "exterior"!
This subject has been discussed a lot before. See this thread....
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/exterior-accessories-forum/15060-removed-front-license-plate.html
That thread does not tall me how to attach my licence plate to the grill below the bumper.....