Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dash top cover

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jun 2005, 07:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Dash top cover

I would like to have the top of the dash pin stripped. Does anyone know if there is a fiberglass or metal skin available for the dash top. I am going with the retro look and feel a metal dash top would add greatly to the style. Thanks
Old 09 Jun 2005, 10:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It would also blind you in the sunlight unless it was allful dull metal. Sorry can't help, only seen fuzzy type of dash tops.

Old 09 Jun 2005, 11:45 am
Cool Cruiser

I have seen painted tops; they look nice. I'd imagine that the prep is the same as other interior parts. Once you have a base coat down, a pinstriper should be able to decorate at will. Make sure the work will stand up to flexing due to temperature changes. Don't replace with metal. Too much of a safety issue, huge cost to duplicate the shape and it would squeek/rattle. Also Crewzin had a point about a shiny surface. You will need a dash cover to drive it during the day.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 09 Jun 2005, 11:55 am
Senior Cruiser

I remember a post somewhere by someone who used a skim coat of filler, sanded and painted to remove the texture of the dash top.

I can't remember where I saw that but I guess it can be done.[]
Old 09 Jun 2005, 01:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

There used to be a guy here in metro detroit area that removed his dash an had it painted blue with lighting bolts an it looked great he used a dash cover sometimes because of the glare but it looked great! an it was a pt cruiser.[:X]

flames&stripes by \"gator\" 2003 milan dragway \"chrysler classic\" winner
Old 09 Jun 2005, 02:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jforce

There used to be a guy here in metro detroit area that removed his dash an had it painted blue with lighting bolts an it looked great he used a dash cover sometimes because of the glare but it looked great! an it was a pt cruiser.[:X]
That was Greg Morris from Minnisota. He was in a couple of the PTE calendars and YES I remember him saying something about the glare off the painted dash.
Old 04 Jul 2005, 11:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My husband & I painted mine. We sanded it , layered on plastic flexible filler, then primer, paint & clear designed for plastic. It took a few weeks to complete, so I bought a dash top from a junkyard.
The big photo doesn't show it, but it's all pearlized.(You can see it in the smaller pic).

And yes, there's a lot of glare. I am looking at buying a velour dash cover for sunny weather.That should solve that.[8]

Old 05 Jul 2005, 02:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

2 2 Cool, Thanks for the info..good idea on obtaining one from a junkyard.

Also thanks to all of the above for your imput.
Black 2003 5sp, airaid box, black & chrome smoothies, chrome bumpers, PTeaser retro mirrors, door spears, cups, head light covers, custom tail lights, custom grille, shorty ant., magnaflow exhaust system, lowered and sway bars.