PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Muppet mechanic's 2001 LE.

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2016, 05:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Muppet mechanic's 2001 LE.

I don't know. What I do know is that I broke the data port completely apart, all plastic components are separated, and the wire bundle with the exposed male ends all potentially touching one another and touching the metal frame for the data port.

It was an accident. I drove home from work for lunch, and when I got in to go back to work 40 minutes later, I kicked a module that was plugged into the data port and it all broke apart. Later trying to figure out how to put it back, it came apart totally.

As far as I can tell, nothing else is wrong, and the battery is good. Starter fuse is good. I don't get a click when I turn the key, but all the lights come on and I can run the radio just fine.

What the heck happened?

I can test the voltage to the starter, I have a voltmeter, but that involves me getting under there and I'm fat so that's the hardest step. LOL

Last edited by mnahmnah; 10 Jan 2016 at 06:30 pm.
Old 08 Mar 2016, 11:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

OK! I got my answer. Thank you if you responded that any touching metal ends of the destroyed OBDII port could cause a problem.

Response to whether I tested voltage: no. Can't take the car apart enough to reach the starter. Someone I hire will have to do that, so that's why I needed to ask questions. I don't want to pay for a rip off diagnostic.

The wires seem really short and I am injured, can't really lie on the door jamb upside down, so at some time when or if I'm able to sort out how to put the port back together and secure the wires in the right places (should be a piece of cake, right??) I'll let you know how it went.

The electrical problem that's existing? well, my PT was overheating. I was in a jam and took it to a Meineke, where they diagnosed it by looking online. Ha ha! They actually SHOWED US this, after they'd replaced the entire cooling system and it was still overheating. They narrowed it down to this electrical junction box, which they said was expensive, and since we'd already paid them over 2K (they also did the timing chain while they had it taken apart), they offered to just bypass the junction box!! We were like, ok, we have no more money, just make it run and not overheat! Since then, no mechanics have wanted to touch it. They're like, we don't know what the F this is about. (Don't judge - I was in grad school and literally only cared about getting back and forth to school.)

Yes, I'm going to try to keep it running. But I want to find someone to fix the electrical. :| Ever hopeful.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 04:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

I was looking back here to find out how I resolved the OBD issue, but it's not here - I think I just taped apart the ends so they couldn't touch. I've been driving the car, it still overheats if it's over 48 degrees outside and it's idled any length of time, but now the issue is smog. It'll pass smog, but the station said it couldn't communicate with the OBD computer.

It may be time to retire it to the state. I don't think I want to try and do this myself. I used to be in better health and had more energy. Then again, I live about an hour away from NitroPT LOL ... Nah this car is toast. Who am I kidding. 156,000 miles on a 2001 that overheats and badly needs a swaybar... I'm done.
Old 23 Sep 2017, 03:46 am
Cool Cruiser

Just checking in. I'm still driving the car. Swaybar link was replaced, the data port was fixed, it was smogged and registered, and it was towed to Wisconsin so I could continue to enjoy being its owner.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 23 Sep 2017, 10:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnahmnah View Post
Just checking in. I'm still driving the car. Swaybar link was replaced, the data port was fixed, it was smogged and registered, and it was towed to Wisconsin so I could continue to enjoy being its owner.
Hey, missed your previous post. Goid to see my friend on here again. Glad you fixed it. The heating is most likely the cooling fan.
Did you mean you have moved?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Sep 2017, 10:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yep, I moved to Wisconsin near Green Bay. Things are going pretty well! I keep talking about saving up for a truck, but I'm starting to think I'm stuck with this car until the salt rusts it into pieces. It's great for hauling the dogs around in, and I'm fairly secure in that nobody would want to steal it.

The cooling fan and overheating issues have been going on since 2009, and I know for sure it was re-wired in some crazy way (by a Meineke franchise) that it always blows the fan fuse. So I just work around it. A mechanic in Oklahoma took a look at it and they wouldn't touch it because of that. The fuse that's under the hood isn't cheap like the little ones, and I'm too frugal to keep buying those.

Good to see ya~!
Old 01 Oct 2017, 09:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Send some picks of what they did if you can. Might be just a extra wire that can easily be undone. Hope you new home is kind to you.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com