PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Muppet mechanic's 2001 LE.

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2018, 02:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Muppet mechanic's 2001 LE.

the white stuff on the oil cap is 100% normal. when oil gets up to temperature, any moisture boils out and since steam rises, you see the scary milky stuff on the cap.

i wouldn't worry about or deal with fixing anything you describe. the junk up top by the four fingers is likely power steering fluid. the reservoir and cap design is pretty crappy on PT's. mint was always leaky and greasy as well. couldn't find a good fitting cap and never really cared. if it's not leaking enough of anything to be low, just keep on chuggin'

mnahmnah likes this.

Last edited by rob302; 10 Jan 2018 at 02:13 pm.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 02:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnahmnah View Post
I had an oil change... changing engine oil is never a bad thing Maybe I shouldn't have even had that oil change. The machine is just maybe falling apart.

I opened the oil cap and there was some white sludgy stuff on the cap and sitting just inside on the little ledge. That didn't look right. I put Seafoam in it, recommended amount, a couple weeks ago. Bad idea?
If after you drive your PT for about say....30 minutes if you check and the white stuff is still there, then it may be a concern. You have a sealed engine with a PCV system sooo......

It looks like it's got a crankcase seal blown, there's wet stuff all over under the intake manifold (is that the right name for the thing with 4 fat fingers sitting over the center?) And a wet ...sensor? The thing that sits on the drivers side of the crankcase. Has a red plastic thing on it. It's all wet with oil.

The weird thing is, all the stuff dripping under the car is pink, but none of the fluids are low!
This seems to be ATF??? Place a drop on a clean white rag and go rinse it with water see what happens.
I'm about done with this car... I am losing interest in keeping it going. It's the never ending cycle of "but I just did this work to it and invested this much on the last thing, I have to keep going."
You have a high mileage vehicle and it is a daily driver. No matter what you choose to own and drive like this you are going to need to allow for expenditure annually of about 1k-2k a year to keep it healthy and reliable.
Just be patient and take care of one problem and then move to the next. Try to outline all the issues and address the ones with the potential to leave you with a none running car.
mnahmnah likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 11 Jan 2018, 04:14 am
Cool Cruiser

My commute is only 1.25 mile one way to work. It doesn't even have a chance to warm up, really. Could this be part of a bigger issue?

i.e. I start it at 5 degrees in my garage, and it stays in the cold zone or below on the gauge the whole time. Then it sits for 12 hours outside until I try to start it again at the coldest part of the morning, down to -16F.

That was the day it shrieked when I started it (frozen belts?), and the temp gauge went straight up in 5 seconds (frozen coolant in the thermostat?), and the exhaust smelled chemical-y. That was when I got real concerned. I had checked the coolant protection level, it should have been fine.

Recently it has quietly stalled out, sort of stealth-like, idling around 550 and dying. Other times it is fine. Most times it idles at 850-1000.

I don't think we can save it, but I thank you all for your input!!
My dogs fit in the back. One of the split seats went into a dumpster in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I threw out the shelf and the arm rest unscrewed and fell off. We'll see how it survives the Upper Peninsula winter.

Last edited by mnahmnah; 11 Jan 2018 at 04:16 am.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 08:31 am
Cool Cruiser

Okay... Okay... I figured something out. (Someone recently said there's no bad time to get an oil change. But this last time, I think was - if not a bad time - it was the wrong place.)

I was looking for low fluids, which I didn't find. HOWEVER: The last mechanic randomly topped off fluids without asking me, and there's too much transmission fluid. Not by much, but it registers in the middle of the hot zone when it's 10 degrees in the garage and the car's been sitting all night. And it's been leaking for two months now, so it was a lot fuller before...

I was going to take it to this other place this morning, with a better reputation, to drain some out of it out and check the leak. It's snowing. It's a holiday. I'd rather keep my money. I can't decide.

The stuff has soaked through a couple cardboard boxes I stuck under it in the garage, and then there's the drip pans covered with it... How toxic is this junk? Do I put it all in a container and take it somewhere special? There's probably 12 ounces or thereabouts soaked out altogether. I could be pissed off, but whatever. "Figure in 1k or so per year in maintenance." Okay.
My dogs fit in the back. One of the split seats went into a dumpster in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I threw out the shelf and the arm rest unscrewed and fell off. We'll see how it survives the Upper Peninsula winter.
Old 26 Feb 2018, 04:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Posting a late follow-up. It was a transmission solenoid seal that blew.

Now having that combo 1684/401 code, but it's the first warm day for months, and I'm going to guess it's something that's suddenly wet. I'll let it dry out. Or not - since it really smells bad.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by mnahmnah; 26 Feb 2018 at 04:33 pm.