Advertisements
Muppet mechanic's 2001 LE.

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2013, 02:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Muppet mechanic's 2001 LE.

Dear IAC valve bolts:

You think you're so clever, being double-nested like that. T20 Torx on the outside, teeny little star down in the bottom. I guess I should be thankful, since you already stripped my new Torx bit, that there's more to you.

What do you have, a forcefield, that keeps my liquid wrench from penetrating? Shields down, MoFo! I'm serious! Don't make me hurt you.

Back to the store, again, for more pretty little tools, but I'm coming back, so you have time to think about what I've said. Understand??

Old 10 Jan 2013, 02:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnahmnah View Post
Dear IAC valve bolts:

You think you're so clever, being double-nested like that. T20 Torx on the outside, teeny little star down in the bottom. I guess I should be thankful, since you already stripped my new Torx bit, that there's more to you.

What do you have, a forcefield, that keeps my liquid wrench from penetrating? Shields down, MoFo! I'm serious! Don't make me hurt you.

Back to the store, again, for more pretty little tools, but I'm coming back, so you have time to think about what I've said. Understand??

those can be a bit of a pain, try an aluminium bit instead of steel, doesn't warp and strip as easily :-D
Old 10 Jan 2013, 02:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
those can be a bit of a pain, try an aluminium bit instead of steel, doesn't warp and strip as easily :-D
The ones that came with this tiny little ratchet I bought to fit in that space are really lightweight. I thought they were aluminum. Anyways, back to the store. If this car wasn't stuck in my driveway I'd be tempted to just take it in. I'm hoping for a sense of accomplishment but these bolts are just being #$%$ about it.

And yes the bits are warping too.

Last edited by mnahmnah; 19 Jan 2013 at 03:00 am.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 03:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

This were a hammer is a big help. Although on the car you can't get to it with the hammer. But if you could, wack the head of the bolt one or two times without hitting anything else. Then tap the torx bit in place. The problem is you most likely damaged the upper part of the star opening with the hex bit on the first go round. Tap it in might be some undamaged area at the bottom of the hole.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Jan 2013, 03:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
This were a hammer is a big help. Although on the car you can't get to it with the hammer. But if you could, wack the head of the bolt one or two times without hitting anything else. Then tap the torx bit in place. The problem is you most likely damaged the upper part of the star opening with the hex bit on the first go round. Tap it in might be some undamaged area at the bottom of the hole.
You have a good point about the hex bit. I had found another website with a step-by-step that said hex key. So, not being able to see the bolt head, I went with it. Later on I found the little mirror. Even if I could get a hammer in there, I couldn't get any momentum on it. :/ I think if I can find a bit to fit in that deeper star part, it'd work. Can't even budge it now, though.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 03:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you have to just take the throttle body off. Its no that difficult.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 05:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Alrighty, I give up on the IAC valve bolts.
Just spent 8 bucks on a set of bits, only to have come home and [temporarily] lost the little ratchet I just bought. Used a 1/4" ratchet that takes up more space in there with a small (and kind of loose) adapter, which dropped the bit into the engine. (I looked under the car.) Long story short, the bolts aren't moving. Hee hee, I guess I need a new toolbox for these new tools too, eh?

Also part of the outer plastic from the connector broke off while I was trying to pry it, so forget that, too. I'm usually good with puzzles, but geez.

[edit: here is a pic of the bottom side that can't be seen when installed.]

I removed the hose from the air cleaner to the throttle, wiped out the throttle opening, used the cam (?) to open it, and sprayed some carb cleaner into it. Put it back together and ran the engine til it got nice and warm. It's improved enough that it doesn't threaten to stall at idle, or actually stall out completely.

It shuddered a lot while warming up, then improved a little bit, but the idle was rough and settled at around 750. I'm pretty sure if I were able to clean the IAC it would make a big difference. Well, maybe.

Last edited by mnahmnah; 12 Jan 2013 at 03:02 am.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 06:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Before I forget, wanted to log how this all started recently.

I was all of a sudden commuting 3x a week, and had quickly accumulated 2,500 miles. No problems, and it was running smooth.

DEC 25: Halfway through my next trip there I had to drive in the worst bucket-dumping rain I've ever seen. Wipers full blast, defroster on, headlites on, fog lights on, probably back defrost on too. I didn't notice any changes in the vehicle at all that night. Might have drained the battery some, but performance the next day didn't show any weird symptoms.

DEC 26: Next day, sunny weather, I drive a half hour or so to an outlet mall (and that's where I had the first flat tire incident). left the car for an hour, came back, and tire was completely out of air. Got that re-inflated, and started driving again. No leak.. Also unfortunately I had left the Garmin GPS on and plugged into the power outlet, and it was probably 2 hours before I started the car back up (AAA t00k an hour.) Might have drained the poor battery a little more. (But battery and alternator check out fine)

Another half hour on the road, though it was starting and driving normally, the car started hesitating and sputtering on an incline, going about 60. I took an offramp to change highways, got to the stop sign, and stalled out.

I limped the car thru the intersection, made it a half mile before I realized i had to pull over. I couldn't keep it going unless I gave it gas. I then checked the oil, looked like there was at least plenty to drive on if not completely accurate. Car was not overheating, it would just shudder and die at idle. I had driven it enough and far enough to have recharged the battery.

Not really any choice but to take it back on the 2 lane highway into the nearest place, which was a huge travel center. It was stop and go while a line of cars went thru a 4-way intersection. I had to keep putting it in neutral so I could rev it because it would stall out otherwise. It was very very rough and the whole car shook.

At the travel center, I bought a quart of oil and a gas additive for fuel injectors. I know I have a small oil leak so for good measure I put in the oil too. (When I got it back home I checked it and it was right on the full line.)

Got back on the road, pushed it forward back to hiway speed, ran it rough without any stops for about 20 minutes, kept going, and the problem went away by the time I got back home (another 40 mins). I took it right to a shop and the guy in the office checked for codes for me. (at this point I didn't know about the key dance so I could do it myself.) He said no codes. I suggested maybe it was a dampness issue affecting a sensor and it dried off, and he agreed, perhaps, and said it seemed safe to drive.

DEC 27: I road tripped it again, running fine still, over the Altamont pass to Oakland, and then down the 101 for 2 hours. All was fine.

DEC 28: Drove all the way back, another 2 hours, everything was fine. Drove it in town a couple days, fine.

DEC 30: I filled up with gas (USA gas) then couldn't even get 30 miles out of town. It was 100% humidity fog, but it had been foggy before. Sputtering and stumbling, I pulled into a mini mart, got some more injector additive (STP), put that in and ran it in the parking lot. It was so bad I had to cancel the trip.

I managed to get the car back home, and drive it very noisy and jerky to run an errand once, and that was it. It had gotten to the point it wasn't driveable.

Something told me that it might have something to do with the gas - did I get bad gas?

JAN 2: I randomly decide to have a transmission flush. The shop I go to is one I trust, but they left it so there's a nice fluid leak, must go back. :/

JAN 15: After running it in the driveway 15 minutes a night for a few nights, just to run the gas with STP thru the fuel line, with no improvement, I got some Lucas injector cleaner additive, put that in too, and drove the car around the residential area 4 miles. Still horribly noisy and shaky, but not stalling now.

JAN 16: Realize that the air filter gasket is shaped weird, and it's not seated, letting air pass. So I decide to drive it to the parts store and get a better filter, and have them double-check the battery. *On the way there, after I pushed it past 35 miles per hour for a few mins, it started running smoothly again.* The battery checked out fine, and after putting the new filter in, might have been my imagination, but it seemed to run even smoother and quieter.

JAN 19:
I'm still able to drive the car around locally and it's running normally. It could probably be better. The shift between drive and park (it's an automatic) is a big bump. I'm pondering my next move. I'm sure it should involve the fuel system and air/fuel sensors (though there is so dang much else to replace I'm getting distracted.)

Last edited by mnahmnah; 19 Jan 2013 at 04:10 am.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 07:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Taking a break from the forum.

Here are the obligatory smileys
:he art: hugs and love

Last edited by mnahmnah; 11 Jan 2013 at 01:05 am.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 08:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnahmnah View Post
Taking a break from the forum. Tired of people thinking I'm bitchy when I'm simply direct and concise. I toodle along having a nice time and enjoying myself, until someone accuses me of being angry or something, and it ruins my own time here. I'm not angry, and to keep from being so, I have to take a break.

Here are the obligatory smileys
:he art: hugs and love
Did I miss something here?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com