Advertisements
Muppet mechanic's 2001 LE.

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2013, 10:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Muppet mechanic's 2001 LE.

Nope, you didn't miss anything "here.."

But maybe there was something else somewhere else that wasn't worth seeing. Don't worry yourself about it.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 10:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnahmnah View Post
Nope, you didn't miss anything "here.."

But maybe there was something else somewhere else that wasn't worth seeing. Don't worry yourself about it.
I hope it wasn't this site. We do have a few lava rocks at this pearl convention.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Jan 2013, 10:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

It's a little more complex than that, but I don't want to be a downer.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 05:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
If you have to just take the throttle body off. Its no that difficult.
That might be too much for me, I don't know a lot about this engine yet. Actually taking it off wouldn't be hard it seems like putting things back together is the hard part...
Old 11 Jan 2013, 05:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Today I went back under the hood to check the battery again. Last time cold and off the battery was 11.8. Today, 12.3. Running, the battery is 14.3-14.5, so using my "charging system for dummies" approach, I'm going to guess the alternator is fine, and may be some drain on the battery somewhere, since I drove it last night and it may have charged more than just running it in the driveway does? IDK.

More on the battery: When I observe it in the dark, running it with lights on, if I put the heater on just 2 notches, the headlights dim noticeably.

I've also noticed (for a long time, actually) the interior backlights for the instruments flicker slightly while driving.

Any thoughts on this? What is this about, if the battery and alternator are okay?

MY ANSWER (after hours and hours of forum reading in the tech library)..... DO THE BIG 3!

Idling condition:

Park and Neutral are the least shaky.
Drive and Reverse are the worst.
In reverse, it just rattles and shakes more. But in drive, it actually tries to lurch hard forward. Each time I put it back in drive it did that.
(This has since resolved iself - ? Still a little bump getting between drive and park, or, neutral and park.)

There is some water coming out the exhaust pipe (kind of spurting now and then) and made a puddle about 1/4 cup on the ground. I didn't run the engine more than 3-5 minutes. I don't see any color to it or notice any smell when I took a rag to it and smelled the rag. Is this normal?

Last edited by mnahmnah; 19 Jan 2013 at 07:30 am.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 07:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
It's the other side of the filter that gets dirty first. That bolt looks like it has green paint. If so not from the heat shield. Check in the hole to see if bolt is broken off. Not something to worry with if it doesn't rattle.
Forgot to respond. It's not green paint - it actually looks black but not like paint. Just another mystery, and it's last on the list right now.

I'd like to try and take pics of the shocks next. The whole suspension system is so bad, when I took ownership of it in 09 I got nauseous going down the freeway, until I got used to it. It bobs around soo much.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 04:20 am
Cool Cruiser

Who wants a Matchbox car of a 2001 Gold PT? Only 5 hours left (until it's relisted...)

2002 Johnny Lightning Classic Gold 2001 PT Cruiser | eBay
Old 13 Jan 2013, 07:29 am
Cool Cruiser

NO Dexron for transmission fluid! Ok, I get the message... after I had it done last week and didn't ask.... Will call Monday.

Nope, they used ATF or at least it says so on the receipt. It however didn't state ATF+4, which also worries me. Unlicensed ATF brands can also harm the engine... Why do so many things harm this engine???

Last edited by mnahmnah; 19 Jan 2013 at 08:15 am.
Old 15 Jan 2013, 05:26 am
Cool Cruiser

Sorry for no pictures or updates. I'm semi-seriously considering replacing every part I'm suspicious of, and just getting it over with. So right now that would be fuel pump, intake air control valve, throttle position sensor, and throw in a few more sensors for good measure. Maybe some fuel injectors. Ha ha.

Then I have stopped worrying about the ABS light and Trac light. Forget that for now, but cleaning the speed sensors isn't a bad idea, if I can get under the car.

I just bought a "Factory Service Repair Workshop Manual" for my 2001 off ebay for 8 bucks. I'll see what I can do with it.

I also want to buy this dash cover for 90 bucks but I think I'll wait till there's one at my local pick n pull. The money must be saved for parts and tools. Aaaand,..... the expensive gas.

Last edited by mnahmnah; 19 Jan 2013 at 01:27 pm. Reason: error in facts
Old 15 Jan 2013, 06:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnahmnah View Post
Then I have stopped worrying about the ABS light and Trac light. Why? The idiots at the tire store sold me the wrong size tires in the rear, so the lights are going to probably be on from that anyway. Forget that for now, but cleaning the speed sensors isn't a bad idea, if I can get under the car.

Nope. Many folks put different size tires front/rear and don't get ABS light.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles