PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Possible brake caliper mod

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 May 2013, 10:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Possible brake caliper mod

Ok, I know this isn't my PT but, it is on a MOPAR... my Magnum R/T. And, I'm thinkin' it might just be a cool... and cheap... mod for the PT when it arrives.

Anyway, I wanted to do something to clean up the butt ugly brakes on my R/T, but wanted to do something a little different. I broke out my die grinder, D.A and polisher and went to work. Essentially, I knocked off all the lumps and bumps, sanded the entire caliper smooth, than hit it with wet/dry paper, finishing with 1500 grit.

I followed that up with metal polish and ended up with this...

Here's a shot with the wheel mounted...

My Magnum is silver, but the PT is a dark blue/green, so I'm thinkin' the polished look will look much better.

BTW, I shot the caliper bracket with Candy Red over a Copper base coat... just to add a little colour.
Old 16 May 2013, 10:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Possible brake caliper mod

WOW!

eXTRA wORDS
Old 16 May 2013, 10:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to mole

it looks really nice.

but it takes away from the cooling of the Caliper.

2004 SRT-4 built
2005 SRT-4 mole' 16g bws setup. 380hp 444tq 11.7@122 100% stock motor/head/axles. Dsp tuned.
2003.5 MazdaSPEED Protege stock
2004 PtGT Atx BWS SETUP and a few bolt ons. stay tuned for dyno #s
Contact me for all your BWS/DCR needs..........
Old 16 May 2013, 11:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I know how much work you put into doing that!
LOOKS GREAT!

I did this:

PT rear calipers

And here they are before I took them to get powder-coated.

mole and honu like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 16 May 2013, 11:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Man that is a lot of work, hope you didn't get too dirty LoL. Mole is rite by doing that you closed all the pores and the heat can't escape. Also it will oxidize and turn a dull color on you since there is no protecting coating on it over time. Nice job though.
Old 17 May 2013, 12:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromer don View Post
Man that is a lot of work, hope you didn't get too dirty LoL. Mole is rite by doing that you closed all the pores and the heat can't escape. Also it will oxidize and turn a dull color on you since there is no protecting coating on it over time. Nice job though.

Don a couple things pores are what you have on your nose and they get bigger as you get older. On brake calipers it is called, now follow along...."surface area". So when you polish, paint,plate or otherwise coat it you are smoothing out or removing "surface area" that may normally help more heat to be transferred.

Some food for thought? Formula 1 engineers many years ago did specific testing of brake components to see how effective they were using different coating and finishes. There conclusion was that it made such a small difference that it was not worth the concern and that is why you see Formula, NASCAR, Indy cars,Sprint Cars....etc., with everything from polished calipers to full on state of the art Aero Space coating that all give the finish a smooth show quality look.

Next when the heck are you planning on coming over? We need to get a BLV installed on your PT!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 17 May 2013, 12:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
it looks really nice.

I will definitely have to keep an eye on that.

I drive pretty conservatively and virtually never in commuter traffic, so hopefully heat build up won't become an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I know how much work you put into doing that!
LOOKS GREAT!

I did this:

PT rear calipers

And here they are before I took them to get powder-coated.

Now that took some skills, I'm impressed. Did the additional "fins" aid in brake cooling? Either way, beautiful job...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromer don View Post
Actually, it wasn't that dirty of a job... though the polishing did tend to get things goin' that way. Fortunately, doing it with a polisher attachment on my drill motor kept my hands from getting filthy.

As for the oxidation, I'm considering shooting the caliper with a coat of clear engine paint. Hopefully, that'll seal the surface and prevent dulling.

Out of curiosity, wouldn't painting or powder coating the calipers have the same effect, of closing the pores and hindering the caliper's ability to shed heat? In my mind, it seems as if it might make the situation even worse than merely polishing them. The paint or powder coating actually adds a physical barrier between the caliper material and the air that cools it. Just wondering...
Old 17 May 2013, 12:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by honu View Post
I will definitely have to keep an eye on that.

I drive pretty conservatively and virtually never in commuter traffic, so hopefully heat build up won't become an issue.

Then you would never notice any difference in braking no matter how you finished your caliper.

Now that took some skills, I'm impressed. Did the additional "fins" aid in brake cooling? Either way, beautiful job...

They are for the rear and it was all for LOOKS. Someone made a comment about why didn't I mod them as I seem to mod everything else? And that was after I gave them a nice RED paint finish.

Actually, it wasn't that dirty of a job... though the polishing did tend to get things goin' that way. Fortunately, doing it with a polisher attachment on my drill motor kept my hands from getting filthy.

As for the oxidation, I'm considering shooting the caliper with a coat of clear engine paint. Hopefully, that'll seal the surface and prevent dulling.

The high heat clear should work fine if you cure them with slow heat. If they are already on the car then it is much harder to cure HH clears. So you may have to watch them and touch up from time to time?

Out of curiosity, wouldn't painting or powder coating the calipers have the same effect, of closing the pores and hindering the caliper's ability to shed heat? In my mind, it seems as if it might make the situation even worse than merely polishing them. The paint or powder coating actually adds a physical barrier between the caliper material and the air that cools it. Just wondering...

I have not really read any credible source that actually tested this information out. Even Track racers will paint or powder-coat there calipers. The drivers with less experience or less then the greatest driving techniques are the ones that tend to fry the coating off their calipers anyway. LOL
Honestly on the street I don't think it matters. But that is truly my opinion as I have never thermal tested any brake calipers with and without a finished surface. I have a couple of complete BBK's and the calipers that go with them and I have the calipers powder-coated and never had a customer yet complain of brake fade because of the finish.

Read the bold responses.

This is the one of the BBK's I engineered and offered a few years ago through my shop.
Rears utilized the stock caliper with larger disc's and hats.

The front were a machine Mustang GT caliper with a larger custom disc and hat.

The front were custom sized for the wheels. The caliper to wheel clearance is 5mm

Busted_PT likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 17 May 2013 at 12:54 am.
Old 17 May 2013, 01:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your input... it put my mind at ease regarding overheating the brakes.

As for clearing the calipers, it wouldn't be a problem to give the clear time to cure... I've got other vehicles I can drive. Would you suggest using a heat source, such as a portable heater, to warm the calipers as the clear cures, or would ambient temperature be sufficient?
Old 17 May 2013, 01:46 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Whaaa? The sky is falling.
zamfir2 likes this.