HOW TO: Replace Clock with Boost Gauge

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By InfernoGT
  • 1 Post By wwpptc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 May 2014, 09:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default HOW TO: Replace Clock with Boost Gauge

This is something that I have wanted to do ever since I picked up my cruiser. So if you've ever pondered the idea too, here's how to do it! (I'm sorry 1st gen guys, you'll have to sit this one out )

First, gather the essentials:

-Boost Gauge

I chose to go with an OEM neon srt4 gauge since this will be a theme on my car. Since it is made by Autometer, it is a standard size (2-1/16" barrel) so any gauge should work. Although, the size of the outer rim could vary on non-Autometer models.

This is the back side of the gauge. It takes a twist socket with a 194 bulb for illumination.

-Bulb and Socket

It's your typical 194 bulb but with a twist socket. I did not have the OEM one so I bought this off of SuperBrightLEDS.com. You can find it here: T3.25 Base Wired Socket | Empty Bases & Sockets | Installation/Power Supplies/Misc | Super Bright LEDs

-Gauge Holder/Bracket

I picked this up off Ebay. It's an aluminum plate for mounting standard gauges. Nothing fancy, just need a small plate with a 2-1/16" hole in it.

-'06-'10 Center Bezel (optional)

Since I did not want to gut my GT bezel, I decided to pick up a base bezel on Ebay (new-old-stock $15!!!). Also, I want to be able to convert back to the clock in the future if I have to.

Let's get started

Start by modifying the bezel to fit the gauge. As you can see, the hole for the clock is only 1-3/4". A 2-1/16" hole would be ideal, but due to the way the bevel is, the only way you are going to be able to make this look good is to cut it completely out. The outer circle is about the same diameter as the outer ring on the boost gauge.

Use a Dremel tool to cut out the beveled part. Use a cutting disk to rough it out, then use a sanding drum to smooth it out.

Next, flip over the bezel and cut away all the stuff that is used to hold the clock in.

This may or may not have been necessary, but I cut the flange off the gauge plate just so it wouldn't interfere with anything in the console.

Sand the bezel and the plate to prep for gluing. I used 2-part epoxy to glue the plate to the bezel. It is very important that you keep the hole of the plate centered inside the larger hole of the bezel. This means you have to pick it up and look at the other side to position it correctly.

I did not have a bracket to hold in my boost gauge so I made my own out of some thin plate steel. I had to grind a divot so that the light socket would fit.

Next, we will work on the console. The only modification I had to do was trim the little plastic hook that is used to hold the wire harness for the clock.

Before:

After:

For wiring up the light, you will need to tap into the clock harness. All you need is the orange wire (clock light) and green wire (ground). If you want to be able to hook your clock up again, keep your plug intact.

I skinned part of the wires and soldered on a couple short pieces. Then I taped them up and added female spade connectors.

Add male spades to your wires on your boost gauge and connect them to your harness. Make sure you tape them to keep them from shorting.

You can now tube up your boost gauge. For a HOW TO on that, click here: BOOST GAUGE TUTORIAL (Up dash mount)
Old 26 May 2014, 09:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: HOW TO: Replace Clock with Boost Gauge

Once you are all done, sit back and enjoy your work

Before:

After:

From the driver's seat:

At night:

I plan to get a green LED 194 bulb so that the outer glow will match the numbers on the face and give it more of an OEM look.

Welp, that's it. Happy modding!
Old 26 May 2014, 09:44 pm
Banned

Good work!

I like it!

Jerry
InfernoGT likes this.
Old 27 May 2014, 01:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Nice job. There are angled rings that you use so you could have the gauges more in alignment with you. This way it is much easier to watch the road and still see accurate reading with your peripheral vision.
See Autometer # 2234

Randy or Pappasmurf may have a suggestion for which LED to use. Most LED tend to illuminate only from the center leaving the out edges with less light.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 27 May 2014 at 01:39 am.
Old 27 May 2014, 06:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Nicely done.
So much better than mounting gauges in the hood! (anybody else remember that?)

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 May 2014, 07:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Nicely done.
So much better than mounting gauges in the hood! (anybody else remember that?)
I'm sure most of us remember that. I bet Nitro and Jerry have actually done that lol.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 May 2014, 08:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I'm sure most of us remember that. I bet Nitro and Jerry have actually done that lol.
No I have never mounted gauges on the hood. but I have own cars that came factory with a Tach on the hood.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 27 May 2014, 10:52 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Nice job. There are angled rings that you use so you could have the gauges more in alignment with you. This way it is much easier to watch the road and still see accurate reading with your peripheral vision.
See Autometer # 2234

Randy or Pappasmurf may have a suggestion for which LED to use. Most LED tend to illuminate only from the center leaving the out edges with less light.
I'm familiar with those angle rings. It doesn't bother me to glance at it. The clock was the same way. What I also like is that the passenger is able to see it as well.

And for the LEDs, I am very familiar with there function and light angle. Back in my neon days I was ordering new leds online every week
Old 27 May 2014, 10:53 am
Veteran Cruiser

OP the work you put in looks very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
my friend chris got a ticket for a fuel pressure gauge on the hood. "obstruction of view". it was one of 14 tickets he received that day, all of which were thrown out.

Last edited by rob342; 27 May 2014 at 10:55 am.
Old 15 Jul 2019, 11:58 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoGT View Post

For wiring up the light, you will need to tap into the clock harness. All you need is the orange wire (clock light) and green wire (ground). If you want to be able to hook your clock up again, keep your plug intact.
I bought a boost gauge with 3 wires...one says it goes to the battery. Is there a wire I can tap into from the clock wiring for this one?

UPDATE: the three wires for the clock work perfect for the 3 wires for the boost gauge....super easy!
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)

Last edited by shelbyzman; 23 Jul 2019 at 09:23 am.