Mike's 2003 Tangerine Dream

Like Tree91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Sep 2014, 09:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Mike's 2003 Tangerine Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I love the color of the Dream Cruiser!!!
Me too!! It's what made me buy it! I didn't know it existed until I was browsing the classifieds and I saw it. I knew I had to have it. lol
rckstein likes this.
Old 23 Sep 2014, 09:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

So about the shifter. The stick's orientation has been modified as well as the throw. It's not something I was expecting. I was expecting the original orientation except with reduced throws.

With the re-orientated stick, all of the shifts are done within the space between neutral and second or fourth of the original shifter. Kind of hard to explain. So first, third and fifth will all be in gear in the area neutral would be on the old shifter.

As well instead of the stick being vertical when in neutral, it is now angled back and toward the driver. I am a big guy with long arms so I it will be interesting to feel it installed and going through the gears and if I will like it.

Tomorrow I will stick it in there and play with it a bit.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 01:08 am
Senior Cruiser

Ok, it seems there was a small mix-up with the shifter. It got welded with the Neon stick orientation, I think, instead of for the PT. Well no worries because Maddog Chuck is going to take care of everything and hook me up!

Did I already mention how great he is to work with? Well he really is top notch!
Old 25 Sep 2014, 01:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Love my 03 Dream Cruiser as well. Runs like a mad dog when I want it to and smooth as silk for my wife. The grandkids call it the Dreamer.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 04:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

So I took a chance and bought a new clutch kit on eBay for only $131. It turned out to be a full, brand new, Sachs clutch kit including the release bearing and slave cylinder and alignment tool. It did not come in the Sachs box, but for a savings of $40-50 over the lowest rockauto or ebay price, who cares?

The last shot is of my flywheel which I had machined at the clutch shop.

Old 01 Oct 2014, 11:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well a couple of days ago I installed heated mirrors on my car. Since the GT's and DC's have the circuit and wires all the way to the doors, it was a pretty easy install. Only the door harness lacked one single wire on each side which came easily from a trip to the junk yard.

Since the door speakers had to come out on each side to do the mirror mod, I had the opportunity to inspect them. I was shocked at the tiny little magnets on them! It seems that in 01 and 02 , "premium" line speakers were used in front and rear and these had much larger magnets. Larger magnets control the voice coils better for increased power and fidelity. In 03, the premium speakers remained in the rear, but the cheaper line was used in the front. So, it meant another trip to the yard to get some Premium speakers.

I also noticed that the premium Infinity speakers used in 300's, Concorde's, Intrepid's, and LHS's will also fit but they are lacking the extra foam on the top of the speaker. Easy enough to transfer it from the old PT speakers, but that will be a mod for another day. For now I installed the Premium PT speakers. The difference in sound is completely audible and I recommend this mod.

Old 02 Oct 2014, 07:06 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post

In my 2006 all 4 speakers looked like the ones on the left. The drivers front blew out about a week after buying the car, when testing it with the one in the drivers rear...I found that one had a tear in the front cover. I replaced all 4, for some reason I kept the 3 that worked.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 02 Oct 2014, 09:08 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
In my 2006 all 4 speakers looked like the ones on the left. The drivers front blew out about a week after buying the car, when testing it with the one in the drivers rear...I found that one had a tear in the front cover. I replaced all 4, for some reason I kept the 3 that worked.
Oh, that is interesting. Thanks for that info! Maybe this is just a 2003 thing then? The one on the left, if I check the part number, it has been changed and the one on the right is what replaced it.

For now I am limited to 2003 and older in the yards locally. Sooner than later some 2nd gens will start arriving and I can have a better selection!
Old 02 Oct 2014, 09:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Oh, that is interesting. Thanks for that info! Maybe this is just a 2003 thing then? The one on the left, if I check the part number, it has been changed and the one on the right is what replaced it.

For now I am limited to 2003 and older in the yards locally. Sooner than later some 2nd gens will start arriving and I can have a better selection!
I went out & took a pic of them, the fronts are basically the same, but the 2 rear magnets have a different shape to them.
The 2 black speakers on top are the front.

IMG_20141002_093002.jpg

The 2 speakers on the right are the front.
IMG_20141002_093051.jpg

I replaced all 4 with these.
IMG_20141002_093340.jpg

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 02 Oct 2014, 10:12 am
Senior Cruiser

Oh thanks for those pics Lion! So your 2006 has the plastic framed speakers with a small magnet. I checked the parts catalogs and 2004+ all used the same plastic speaker with the small magnet.

So It means if I want the big magnet version, the only ones really were used 2002 and prior. That means junkyard only for factory parts. Well I am cheap and I am ok with used parts as long as they are good!

I will go to the yard today to see if I can score some good 01-02 ones.