PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Mike's 2003 Tangerine Dream

Like Tree91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Sep 2014, 07:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Mike's 2003 Tangerine Dream

So I have had my 2003 Dream cruiser for a couple of months now and have slowly been acquiring parts to get the car back up to a reliable car to drive. As well, not only to make it reliable, I will do other unnecessary stuff basically just for the heck of it. Once I have taken care of the mechanical issues, the only thing holding left to do will be to have the rockers on both sides replaced. They are quite rotten.

The car has ~190,000km so first order of business will be to do the timing belt, water pump and seals. As well, the tensioner bearing was screaming on the drive home when I bought the car. As well, the manual transmission's second gear was non existent so I bought another used one. The turbo may also be in dire need of a rebuild, but I bought another used one and then I bought another entire 2003 GT parts car just to have one of everything I might need.

Anyway here are some pics of the car. Next I will post pics of my new Maddog STS shifter.

Old 22 Sep 2014, 07:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Mike's 2003 Tangerine Dream

Before you go and put that turbo in. I would kit that turbo and clean the oil passages real good . Kit is cheap For peace of mind. Your parts car is even better than mine. Far as body damage goes. Rockers will need to be fabed. Replacements aren't even close to the originals. I'm just not sure about that bright color!
CruiserLady and myckee like this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Sep 2014, 08:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yup that's my plan to kit the turbo. I have your rebuild threads here in my favorites, so my next ebay purchase will include a kit!

When I bought my trans, I pretty much bought all the good stuff off the car the guy had. I got the turbo and manifold too so I will use this one to install the kit into. It has very very little side play when I stick my fingers in and wiggle so I think a kit should fix it up nicely.

My parts car is the black one you can see in the pics. The roof is slightly caved in from snow falling off the previous owners roof. So the roof is kind of crappy and the rockers are really really rotted out. To be honest I haven't really looked at the rest of the undercarriage once I saw how rotten the rockers were. The timing belt broke on that car on the highway and so the old owner figured the car was finished and parked it. Anyway that car is complete...for now.

Ok my next post will be of my beautiful Maddog STS with 50% reduction and cool shift stops!

Last edited by myckee; 22 Sep 2014 at 08:47 pm.
Old 22 Sep 2014, 09:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well this was not the first item I bought for my car, but it is one of the ones I am most excited about! This thing looks awesome and I can't wait to feel the difference in shifting.

Maddog Chuck was awesome to work with and his work is top notch. The pics speak for themselves. He even threw in a free shifter knob adapter so I can use my Hurst 50th Anniversary shift knob.

Pippov likes this.
Old 22 Sep 2014, 09:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: Mike's 2003 Tangerine Dream

"Parts Cruiser"???
Like who around here has two Cruisers???

2010 Dodge Challenger SE as my day-driver.
2005 "Limited", Stage 1 Turbo Lite, the "Cowboy Cruiser".

Have now owned 5 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 22 Sep 2014, 10:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Yup that's my plan to kit the turbo. I have your rebuild threads here in my favorites, so my next ebay purchase will include a kit!

When I bought my trans, I pretty much bought all the good stuff off the car the guy had. I got the turbo and manifold too so I will use this one to install the kit into. It has very very little side play when I stick my fingers in and wiggle so I think a kit should fix it up nicely.

My parts car is the black one you can see in the pics. The roof is slightly caved in from snow falling off the previous owners roof. So the roof is kind of crappy and the rockers are really really rotted out. To be honest I haven't really looked at the rest of the undercarriage once I saw how rotten the rockers were. The timing belt broke on that car on the highway and so the old owner figured the car was finished and parked it. Anyway that car is complete...for now.

Ok my next post will be of my beautiful Maddog STS with 50% reduction and cool shift stops!
They have side play with new bushings. So you aren't disappointed.

Post up pic of the old shifter to compare when you get it out.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Sep 2014, 11:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
"Parts Cruiser"???
Like who around here has two Cruisers???
I guess I just joined a club huh? Well it looks like you have a few and I know Busted has a few too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post

Oh, thanks for telling me that! I would have been thinking that the turbo was really shot when I found play in it after installing the kit. Well maybe I will just use slightly thicker oil.

I am excited to install this shifter so I will pull the old one tomorrow and make some side by side shots.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 23 Sep 2014, 12:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post

you should send that to nitro for a rebuilt it will look nothing lie that when he is done
Busted_PT and myckee like this.
Old 23 Sep 2014, 09:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Ok, here are some comparison pics of pre and post Maddog STS modification.

Busted_PT likes this.
Old 23 Sep 2014, 09:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post

I love the color of the Dream Cruiser!!!
myckee likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93