Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By VermontBob
  • 2 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2015, 10:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to VermontBob
Default Monster PT

Sooooooo....... alot of things have changed on this end. My Crazy whacked out 01 limited "Harley Quinn Edition PT" won't pass inspection due to the sub-frame being too tender for the garage's opinion, so I got looking around for what to do with it, & found myself oogling some of the folks that took a chevy s10 frame & turned their PT's into a "Monster PT" complete with a V8 & RWD....& I got to thinking.

Then a stroke of luck would have it, an entire Chevy S10 rolling chassis dropped into my lap, complete with brakes & steering gear already installed. & I have a 1970's chevy 350 V8 on my engine stand from long ago. It has a point system & a Holley 4160 double-pumper carb already installed on it.

So now the project has started & I'm looking for advice on how all this is supposed to go together. I have a general idea of how to hook stuff up, but I'm unsure of all the stuff I need to take off the PT body & how to mount it to the frame. Someone said to use hockey pucks to attach the body to the S10 frame.

There will be pictures & video as I always have a camera with me when I do crazy projects.....

Oh, I ended up keeping the 2003 PT GT simply because I sat down, & figured out that if I replace the alternator & cam sensor, then I will have pretty much completely rebuilt this motor. Still has that unnerving chuffling sound when one lets off the gas. Still don't know where it's coming from, but I'd sure like to fix it.
rockandroller likes this.
Old 03 Jun 2015, 10:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Monster PT

Sounds like a big project for a real wrencher!

Let us know if figure out the "chuffling" sound when you let off the gas.
I eliminated the possibility of the flex plate being loose this past week, when they had to drop the tranny to replace the temp sensor.

Now I'm thinking that it's the turbo, about shot.

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 03 Jun 2015, 11:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Monster PT

I'm told the chuffling sound is because I took the air box completely out & replaced it with a cone air filter. I didn't hear any of it when I put the factory air box back. The Dodge garage tells me this is normal, but it's kind of a unique sound. I'll try to get a sound sample video tomorrow after work.
Old 04 Jun 2015, 04:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: Monster PT

Mine sound more like turbo rattle, than the woosh of an open air intake.

Old 04 Jun 2015, 04:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Maybe easier to get a subframe and replace yours. I'm sorry but if you have to ask you are most likely over your head. I be fixing cars of all kinds fro the better part of my life. But that is more work than I'm up for. Just hard to do right and safe. For as the turbo's guys Pull the hose off get things to where you can see into it. Check to see if you can make the impeller touch the housing. If you can you neet to rebuild or replace befor it does damage.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Jun 2015, 09:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

can't afford a subframe. Dealer wants $3800 for the part, & another $6000 just to install it. That's way more then the car is worth. Got a friend with a 2009 turbo PT, he says his makes the same chuffling sound after he pulled out his factory airbox as well. Says it's normal, but you can't hear it with the factory box & all 3 silencers in place.

*shrugs* I'm a Chevy truck guy. I know the ins & outs around them, not so much Chrysler products. Only bought the PT because it was cheaper (at the time) then the truck I was trying to get. (truck needed alot of work & I needed wheels right then)

The project is a project. I knew that before I got into it. All I was doing was asking for advice on swapping the body, as the mechanicals I'm well versed in. I will probably have most of the mechanicals in before the snow flies up here again.

Swapping bodies on to truck frames was a popular thing of the 1980's, & I always wanted one. Now I have a chance to build my own, so that's the route I've chosen.
Old 05 Jun 2015, 07:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontBob View Post
can't afford a subframe. Dealer wants $3800 for the part, & another $6000 just to install it. That's way more then the car is worth. Got a friend with a 2009 turbo PT, he says his makes the same chuffling sound after he pulled out his factory airbox as well. Says it's normal, but you can't hear it with the factory box & all 3 silencers in place.

*shrugs* I'm a Chevy truck guy. I know the ins & outs around them, not so much Chrysler products. Only bought the PT because it was cheaper (at the time) then the truck I was trying to get. (truck needed alot of work & I needed wheels right then)

The project is a project. I knew that before I got into it. All I was doing was asking for advice on swapping the body, as the mechanicals I'm well versed in. I will probably have most of the mechanicals in before the snow flies up here again.

Swapping bodies on to truck frames was a popular thing of the 1980's, & I always wanted one. Now I have a chance to build my own, so that's the route I've chosen.
That's crazy pricing for the K frame. Even if the part actually retailed for that and it doesn't. The labor cost couldn't be more that a few hundred at normal gouge price. Besides you can get a good used one for a couple hundred at most. and change it your self. But I think you are all about your other plan anyway. Even if someone had done similar here, which I haven't seen. If not exact swap. The info would pretty much useless to you. This kind of project is a figure it out as you go thing. No step by step info out there. Might pick up some ideas on a 4x4 forum dealing with doing conversions. If there are any. Good luck wirth the project.
Sooner try what I sugested in post five. Wait untill its cool first.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Jun 2015, 10:41 am
Veteran Cruiser

subframe-shmubframe. don't listen to him. you build that monster PT and be sure to post lots of pics!

the "pirate4x4.com" forum might be good a place to ask build questions on something like that.
Old 08 Jun 2015, 06:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Monster PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Mine sound more like turbo rattle, than the woosh of an open air intake.
The Friday before the Big Show, MOPARS ON THE RIVER, we had DYNONITE at Abel Racing in Midwest City.
One of the guys there told me that the clatter/rattling that I hear when letting off the gas is most likely just the blow-off valve.
Hmmmm....
But, I didn't have the Cowboy Cruiser there; as I was being cautious.
Central Oklahoma MOPAR Association - Home