Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Members PT Project

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
chris15's PT GT (56k? Take a nap.)

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Aug 2015, 12:42 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: chris15's PT GT (56k? Take a nap.)

Thanks for the ride. Lots of work, but I bet very rewarding.
Gkon likes this.
Old 26 Aug 2015, 01:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks again.

It definitely has been a lot of work-- can't lie there. It's been fairly rewarding. It's a pretty unique car, so I turn quite a few heads on occasion. The car has put a lot of other cars marketed as 'performance' or 'sporty' to shame.

At the same time, it's been frustrating at times with the lack of aftermarket support in terms of performance products and having to come up with things from scratch.
JoeCruiser and Gkon like this.

Old 26 Aug 2015, 03:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Chris, let me know when you'll be back up my way and we can get together some Saturday night at the Wendy's cruise night.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 26 Aug 2015, 03:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Carey, that'd be awesome. It's been a little while since I've seen ya. I'll send you a PM next time I'm up that way for a weekend. Hope all is well.

Old 26 Aug 2015, 04:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

A lot has happened since I've seen you. We'll catch up when you come up this way.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 26 Aug 2015, 08:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to catching up.. can't wait for (somewhat) cooler weather, too!

Old 28 Aug 2015, 03:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Chris,
I saw that you mentioned us, so I looked thru our records and I believe I found your information. If I'm wrong about your name or address let me know (or PM me) and I'll get the right info.

First, I'm sorry to say we never got any of your emails. I'm not saying you didn't send them - I'm sure you did - it could just be that your .edu email address got routed to our spam folder. I'm looking into this.

In any case, as I'm sure you know, the kit you bought from us did include a new slave cylinder. That slave cylinder was manufactured by FTE, which is the same company that supplies the OE parts to MOPAR. Therefore, I'm not sure that replacing the slave cylinder we sent with a new OEM unit will solve your problem.

As I'm sure you know, it's really not possible to say what caused the issue you had with the slave cylinder without inspecting it. I see evidence of a lot of heat (the nylon parts on the unit have melted, which is unusual), but that's just a guess based on the photo you posted.

Still, like we told you when you bought the clutch kit from us (you first contacted us thru our contact form, which didn't have a problem delivering your email the first time around for some reason - go figure), we stand behind everything we sell. Feel free to call me personally at 732-667-7937 and we can discuss it.

Lastly, thank you for sharing your experience here, specifically related to sending us emails that we never responded to. We're going to get our spam filter fixed ASAP and/or come up with a better process for checking the spam folder.

Lou Rivieccio
President
Phoenix Friction Products
Old 28 Aug 2015, 08:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFriction View Post
Chris,
I saw that you mentioned us, so I looked thru our records and I believe I found your information. If I'm wrong about your name or address let me know (or PM me) and I'll get the right info.

First, I'm sorry to say we never got any of your emails. I'm not saying you didn't send them - I'm sure you did - it could just be that your .edu email address got routed to our spam folder. I'm looking into this.

In any case, as I'm sure you know, the kit you bought from us did include a new slave cylinder. That slave cylinder was manufactured by FTE, which is the same company that supplies the OE parts to MOPAR. Therefore, I'm not sure that replacing the slave cylinder we sent with a new OEM unit will solve your problem.

As I'm sure you know, it's really not possible to say what caused the issue you had with the slave cylinder without inspecting it. I see evidence of a lot of heat (the nylon parts on the unit have melted, which is unusual), but that's just a guess based on the photo you posted.

Still, like we told you when you bought the clutch kit from us (you first contacted us thru our contact form, which didn't have a problem delivering your email the first time around for some reason - go figure), we stand behind everything we sell. Feel free to call me personally at 732-667-7937 and we can discuss it.

Lastly, thank you for sharing your experience here, specifically related to sending us emails that we never responded to. We're going to get our spam filter fixed ASAP and/or come up with a better process for checking the spam folder.

Lou Rivieccio
President
Phoenix Friction Products
Lou,

Thanks for the response. I believe I spoke with you prior to purchasing the clutch kit back in October of 2014-- in fact, I just double-checked and it was you via sales@phoenixfriction.com. I've included screenshots of the emails I sent, for transparency's sake.

As I said in the first email, the clutch has performed admirably, however, the slave cylinder was clearly defective. I noticed when removing the faulty slave cylinder that the base appeared to be stamped and marked almost identically to the Mopar unit, which was disconcerting. I was hoping that maybe the bearing or material was different between the failed unit and the Mopar, but based on your post, I guess it isn't.

This all occurred approximately 9 months ago, so the failed part is obviously no longer in my possession. I held onto it for about 3 months hoping to hear back, but gave up hope. I've since put another 6,000 miles or so on the clutch (not including the initial 1,500) and haven't had any issues at all. I've been very pleased.

Again, thanks for the reply. It's good to see a company that actually cares about its reputation. Hopefully the email filter thing can prevent this type of issue from happening in the future.

Old 05 Oct 2015, 11:08 am
Senior Cruiser

Alright, been a bit, so figured I'd update everyone.

The new intercooler is mounted, charge pipes have been created, and the car's been back on the road now for about a month. Unfortunately, I ran into issues with fitment of the intake manifold and due to time (there's an annual SRT meet that occurs in Orlando, FL every year) I won't be able to revisit that portion of the project for a little bit. To make a long story short, the throttle body flange is welded in such a way that the TB is rotated, placing the IAC sensor on the 'top', nearest the hood. This causes a fitment issue with the upper radiator hose and outlet running almost directly into the IAC. I tried a throttle body spacer, assuming that this would resolve the issue, but it didn't. Additionally, not running the spacer leaves me in the same scenario, so.. I have a few ideas on how I might resolve this, but it's going to take time and money.

Ever since I put the car back on the road, I had this strange lean issue where the PCM was pulling a ton of fuel at around 2,500 RPMs, and the car would run extremely lean/sputter/etc. It got progressively worse and left me on the shoulder of a highway a few times on my way to work about a week ago. I assumed that maybe my fuel pump was on its way out, so I took that as a sign that it was time to install all of my fuel system upgrades.

So, between last weekend and this weekend, I dropped the fuel tank, cut an access panel in the floor (finally), modified the canister to accept the new Walbro 450 and everything the feed/return install entailed (bulkhead fittings, etc), ran my -6 PTFE feed and return lines (black braided), terminated them with black AN fittings, had my 03 rail modified (replaced the Schrader valve with a -6AN fitting), mounted my Fuelab regulator to the bracket that supports the fuse/relay box under the hood, mounted the Fuelab filter under the car, and eventually was able to fire the car up. No leaks, so I test drove the car. Still leaned out/hesitating, etc.

Parked it and decided I'd replace the O2 sensor. During that process, noticed that one of the pins on the upstream O2 sensor connector had been "slightly" pulled out of the connector. Repaired this and replaced the O2 sensor since I already had one, and the car drove perfectly.

Fuel trims were pretty close to the 255, so I decided to test WOT. Ran fine, AFRs in the mid-low 11s, so still a little rich for E85. On my last pull, I hit close to 22psi and at the end of the pull, the RPMs hung at 4k and my brake pedal went stiff. I figured I probably blew off the brake booster line, but I was pretty sure I'd tightened everything down. After a few scary braking moments, I was able to pull off into a parking lot and pop the hood. Turns out I actually blew out the metal elbow that the brake booster hose connects to. First time I've ever seen that happen, so.. neat.

TL;DR - Upgraded fuel system after assuming fuel pump was dying, wound up being a pin in the O2 sensor connector.

Old 05 Oct 2015, 03:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

I had the same problem with my brake booster elbow on the motor I'm working on currently. I was tearing down the motor on the stand and removing all the vacuum lines they cut and the elbow just fell out. I'm thinking of using some JB Weld or something to seal it back in there, what are you going to use on it?

Also I saw you quoted some pretty high numbers for the Phoenix Friction solid flywheel conversion clutch kit but the only info I can find for it gives stock HP and torque ratings, even saying its actually a Valeo clutch (same deal with AMS clutches, just Valeo reboxed with a higher price). Do you have a part number for the Phoenix Friction one you purchased?

Last edited by FlyinPurplePeopleEater; 05 Oct 2015 at 03:55 pm.