Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Members PT Project

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
chris15's PT GT (56k? Take a nap.)

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Oct 2015, 05:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: chris15's PT GT (56k? Take a nap.)

Yep, probably just going to put a small amount of JB Weld around the outside of the elbow and let it set/cure overnight. I don't really want to spend a ton of time fixing this manifold since I'll be swapping in the new one in about a month or so.

As far as the Phoenix Friction conversion.. That's something I brought to their attention before I even ordered. It's their "Stage 3 Ceramic Solid Flywheel Conversion Clutch Kit", part number '05-506CK.3C', however, it's not listed in the product results on their site. The only way to see it is to view the standard conversion kit, and then click on the "Related Products" tab, which will then show the kit I ordered. It's been a solid setup for me and has held up to some pretty spirited driving. I definitely have a heavy foot.

Old 06 Oct 2015, 05:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15 View Post
Yep, probably just going to put a small amount of JB Weld around the outside of the elbow and let it set/cure overnight. I don't really want to spend a ton of time fixing this manifold since I'll be swapping in the new one in about a month or so.

As far as the Phoenix Friction conversion.. That's something I brought to their attention before I even ordered. It's their "Stage 3 Ceramic Solid Flywheel Conversion Clutch Kit", part number '05-506CK.3C', however, it's not listed in the product results on their site. The only way to see it is to view the standard conversion kit, and then click on the "Related Products" tab, which will then show the kit I ordered. It's been a solid setup for me and has held up to some pretty spirited driving. I definitely have a heavy foot.
Dude awesome. If only I hadn't already bought a clutch but maybe rockauto will let me return it, I'll have to see how long its been. Thanks for the tip on the clutch, I've been searching for a higher rated SMF clutch forever and this is literally the first one I've ever heard for our trans.

No figment issues with it? It said it doesn't fit the vehicle but it is listed for it so who knows.
Old 06 Oct 2015, 06:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

No problem at all. Happy to share info. All the crap I've done wouldn't mean much if I was the only person who benefitted from it. :P

The clutch kit fit like a glove-- no issues at all. The flywheel they include matches the dimensions of the DMF exactly-- no problems whatsoever. The car does vibrate quite a bit, but I also have BWoody engine mounts and a DCR solid 4th mount as well, so, those don't do much to absorb/dissipate vibrations, but I knew that before I installed them :P

Old 19 Oct 2015, 01:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well, after close to 12,000 miles, a new FMIC and 21-22psi on a 20G, the clutch has finally tapped out. I'm fine to drive it around without getting on it, but it started slipping during an onramp pull the other night at full boost. Turned off my EBC and ran wastegate pressure (13.5 psi) and it held for a few days. Now, the clutch won't hold that.

Will be pulling the trans within the next month and will hopefully only need to resurface the pressure plate and flywheel and will try a 4-puck disk in there and see if it holds. Local clutch guru has the ability to check clamping force of the PP, can modify it to increase it if necessary, and knows his clutch disks and materials, so.. he should be able to hook me up pretty nicely.

Old 21 Oct 2015, 12:46 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15 View Post
Thanks a lot for the reply! I used to post on forums pretty frequently, but I've sorta been doing my own thing lately. I got a little tired of reading forum posts in 2015 to the tune of "Hey, has anyone ever changed their spark plugs in their car? By the way, it's a 2001 PT Cruiser", and then 10 pages of useless dialogue to follow on what the "best" spark plug is for the vehicle. It gets a little old rehashing the same old stuff time after time.
Wow! YOu've done so much work! I became exhausted and my arms began to ache just reading everything you've done! The black mirrors look great with the black trim theme... (I painted mine red to match the body...). Well, I guess I'll change my spark plugs this weekend, I'm embarrassed to say....
Old 21 Oct 2015, 02:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

keep it up looing great
Old 21 Oct 2015, 03:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs View Post
I became exhausted and my arms began to ache just reading everything you've done!
get your hand out of your pants, sir. it's only a car.

Old 21 Oct 2015, 10:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks guys.

Yep, just trying to keep her on the road. Might have big upgrades coming soon. I'll keep you guys posted on that. For now, been driving the car to kill this tank of E85 before I let her sit a bit until I have time to replace the clutch. Made it to the annual SRT Showdown in Old Town, FL this past weekend. Didn't take any pictures, but found this one that someone took:

Old 24 Feb 2016, 09:24 am
Senior Cruiser

Hi Chris. I've been following your build thread on PTCrew. Hope you have it running tonight. You seem to have given up on this thread.

Just a quick question that will probably be obvious to most, but why did you remove the oil squirters? Does that hurt power any? Are they unnecessary with the coated pistons? Most of my turbo experience is with 2.2s which didn't have them. I know that pulling the balance shafts can increase power, but I thought the oil squirters were fairly innocuous.

Last edited by Fk5; 25 Feb 2016 at 01:56 pm.
Old 24 Feb 2016, 09:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The balance shaft really removes weight with very little *notable power gain. Good idea for a "TRACK" only car not a street run engine. It will increase the idle vibration of the engine.
The oil squirters are not needed as much when aftermarket pistons are used but should still be used with OEM replacement pistons.

^^As per ED Peters, ENDYN, Rexhutchinson Racing. Victory Associates Racing Engines, and DCR.

*power gains documented from the best before and after DYNO cheacks either cutting the BS chain or complete removal of BS showed a none repeatable -4hp gain in reported DYNO results best DELTA's repeated