Advertisements
MFS finally repaired, Yahoo

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By ptprice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Mar 2016, 08:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default MFS finally repaired, Yahoo

I got SOOO BIG back from the shop yesterday after his final "primping" I celebrated by removing the second used MFS and trying once more to make it work. As you'll recall this was the last step in getting SOOO BIG's fog lights working as with santanadharma's advise I'd already determined the problem was a bad MFS. I'd already failed to repair this MFS the first time. I figgered I'd be out big bucks for a new one!

I carefully re-cleaned each contact, stretched the under spring on the spring loaded contact, and reassembled the unit as meticulously as I could using all the photo references sanatanadharma had supplied me.(thanks)

After reinstalling it I gave it the old college try with only a small hope for success as I'd gone down this road before. To my surprise, when I activated the parking lights and pulled out the end of the MFS stalk slide that turns on the fog lights, that pleasant little fog light icon in the left instrument roundrel began to glow. Further inspection at SOOO BIG's front end showed the fog lights were alight.

I went into my happy dance and was immediately aware that no one else in the parking lot of our complex had any idea of my reason for celebration. I guess they were about to get the net. I had a bit of explaining to do but all's well that ends well. A few of my friends joined me in my happy dance. Proving that geezers don't need much for a reason to celebrate.

In reviewing the reason for the failure of the original MFS; the suspect spring loaded contact had shorted due to its poor design, melting not only the surrounding plastic of its mount and guides but embedding the contact permanently in the plastic. Additionally this plastic melting deterioration was also transferred to and included the plastic pin in between the two contact points on the base assembly. See attached photos for reference.

Sufficed to say, I now feel comfortable working on and repairing the MFS. I'm not sure that feeling is deserved though, as I couldn't have done any of it without the help and advise of sanatanadharma. I still have no logical explanation why the second time was the charm.

Chalk it up to a bit of magical karma from the PT Guru, sanatanadharma. I hope he'll accept my expression of appreciation by selecting any signed and number limited edition print from my 33 published pieces. He can PM me advising of his choice and mailing address. theartofpriceyoungman.weebly.com

Thanks. Happy Ptin', ptprice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Where the original MFS was fused 1.jpg (87.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Where the original MFS was fused 2.jpg (87.5 KB, 10 views)
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chromed Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles/guards , PRND3-1 Bezel, Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim, 5 piece bumper trim. Cool Vanilla White shift ball, Leather tilt steering wheel, Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry. Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers. Back up Camera, 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 26 Mar 2016 at 01:13 pm.