PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'05 PT Cruiser Turbo

Like Tree146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2016, 12:02 am
Cool Cruiser

Default '05 PT Cruiser Convertible Touring Turbo w/ Air Ride

I've owned the PT for 4-5 years. Has been sitting since last summer. Recently decided to do a few things to it.

Here's a fairly recent photo before deciding to do anything to the vehicle.

I recently purchased new wheels. The wheels are Milanni Bel Air's, 20x8's. The tires are 225/30's in the front, 245/35 in the rear.

I also purchased and installed the upper and lower billet grille. This "might" be temporary, as I've considered the PTeazer Smoothie front fascia. This will do, until and if I decide otherwise. The billet doesn't look to shabby. The bottom required some modification to fit, as it does not fit the turbo bumpers.

I recently cut the springs, front and rear. For now, the rear will remain and I just purchased the (for the front) Dodge Neon '00-05 sleeve coilovers, to replace the front. They arrived today.

I've also began putting together an air ride setup. So far, the following have been purchased:
  • Universal Air's custom rear brackets to replace the factory perch.
  • Universal Air's Aero Sport double bellow bag over strut x 2 - front
  • Universal Air's Air House 2 sleeve bag x 2 - rear

I also purchased the Mopar blowoff valve that arrived this week.

I'm currently making an offer on a roll pan rear bumper. It is not the Pteazer bumper, as I can't justify twice the cost for only varying backup lights. If I do purchase the bumper, it will likely not be added to the vehicle immediately. The vehicle has a few panels that require repainting and I'm not sure whether the entire vehicle will be repainted, or single panels. This would not likely happen until and if I decided to purchase the Pteazer front.

Both headlights and taillights have been replaced fairly recently.

I'll try to update this thread as things are done or added. Thanks.

Edit: Adding a to do list to keep track.

-CV Axle or boot - passenger
-Pillar Pod - 2-3 gauge
-8 piece suspension kit - replace
-GT or Stage 1 ECU
**2007 Chevy HHR LS - Transition to LT - 18" Solstice Wheels 235/45 & 225/45

Last edited by Nvizn; 12 Sep 2016 at 03:38 pm.
Old 28 Apr 2016, 01:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: '05 PT Cruiser Turbo

My offer was accepted on the roll pan urethane rear bumper. Here's just about the only photo I can find of the identical bumper. You can see how it varies from the Pteazer rear.

Old 28 Apr 2016, 01:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Looks good!

A new Bug and an HHR? Damn, you like the retro vehicles, eh?
Old 28 Apr 2016, 02:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Looks good!

A new Bug and an HHR? Damn, you like the retro vehicles, eh?
Good catch. You are correct! I'm disappointed that both the PT and HHR, have been discontinued. Especially, the HHR. The VW Beetle, is my wife's. =)

I also recently purchased my father this burgundy '04 PT Cruiser w/ 76k. His current vehicle is nearly 30 years old. Here's his PT. I purchased it from the previous owner for a great deal! The previous owner had all mix matched tires. Even one tire (right rear) looking to be intended for mudding. I did purchase and replace all 4 tires, after this photo was taken.

VsandFords and Dazzaman like this.

Last edited by Nvizn; 28 Apr 2016 at 02:14 pm.
Old 28 Apr 2016, 03:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I like the stance of your car with the new wheels, it looks bad a$$!!
Nvizn likes this.

Competition's paying the price.

03 PT GT. DSI canned tune, Weight redux, MH Racemaster Slicks/Rota Slipstream 15" 12.0 @ 113mph
96 SOHC Neon Turbo
08 CSRT4. Realtune MS1K v1 pcm stg0 NSRT4 Injectors.
Old 28 Apr 2016, 03:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvizn View Post
Good catch. You are correct! I'm disappointed that both the PT and HHR, have been discontinued. Especially, the HHR. The VW Beetle, is my wife's. =)

I also recently purchased my father this burgundy '04 PT Cruiser w/ 76k. His current vehicle is nearly 30 years old. Here's his PT. I purchased it from the previous owner for a great deal! The previous owner had all mix matched tires. Even one tire (right rear) looking to be intended for mudding. I did purchase and replace all 4 tires, after this photo was taken.
Ah, but what is under the cover? Looks sporty, like a Diamond Star.

Your Dad's new car looks nice too. My Dad keeps buying new cars and keeping the old ones. That's how I ended up with the PT.
Old 28 Apr 2016, 09:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post

Your Dad's new car looks nice too. My Dad keeps buying new cars and keeping the old ones. That's how I ended up with the PT.
I can relate. However, this is the second vehicle I've purchased him. He drives them until the wheels fall off. =) This PT is very good inside and out. The mileage, price and condition, was a rare find. 76k for a 2004, is extremely low. I washed and detailed the vehicle, before surprising with a "new to him" car.

Last edited by Nvizn; 28 Apr 2016 at 09:35 pm.
Old 30 Apr 2016, 06:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

I don't want to get kicked off the forum, but could you give us your opinion on the HHR and the Volkswagen?
I don't know much about the HHR's, but they look cool.
The reason I'm asking about the VW is because my son will be of driving age in a year and a half and for some years now he has wanted a red VW Beetle Convertible. (for some reason, he always stipulates that he wants the top to go all the way down, just like his sister's PT convertible)
Do you do your own repairs? Are parts availability and prices an issue with either car?
Old 30 Apr 2016, 10:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparman440 View Post
I don't want to get kicked off the forum, but could you give us your opinion on the HHR and the Volkswagen?
I don't know much about the HHR's, but they look cool.
The reason I'm asking about the VW is because my son will be of driving age in a year and a half and for some years now he has wanted a red VW Beetle Convertible. (for some reason, he always stipulates that he wants the top to go all the way down, just like his sister's PT convertible)
Do you do your own repairs? Are parts availability and prices an issue with either car?
HHR: The same designer for the PT, left Chrysler to design the HHR. Roomy vehicle. Reasonably priced parts sings it is American made. The vehicles typically sell for twice the cost, of the PT. I would consider it better build and quality, over the PT Cruiser. I will likely purchase another (an addition to, not replace), maybe soon.

VW: Well built German made vehicle. Have had a few electrical problems. Is known to have valve body problems, evident by hard up/down shifting in automatics. I replaced the valve body myself. Wasn't extremely difficult. Paid $600-700 for the valve body. If you had to pay to replace, would likely cost $1,500. Very dependable vehicle. Repairs/parts are not cheap. I would not recommend as a first vehicle.

Last edited by Nvizn; 30 Apr 2016 at 10:45 pm.
Old 30 Apr 2016, 11:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Installed the Mopar blowoff valve and I must say, it's nearly a bit excessive. I hear the blowoff on the smallest deceleration. The third bolt was not the easiest to access. A line runs right by the bolt.

Pippov likes this.