PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Members PT Project

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Handy's New Turbo Convertible PT Project!

Like Tree1042Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Mar 2017, 08:41 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Handy's New Turbo Convertible PT Project!

Now you have to match the yellow on the boost gauge.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 09:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The yellow looks fine in the dark.

Old 20 Mar 2017, 10:37 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
The yellow looks fine in the dark.

The gauge cluster looks great @ night compared to my '05 OEM cluster with the greenish back-lighting, but can't help but notice how nice your headlights broadcast light. I am putting in a pair of the black-outlined Depo headlights in my 'vert as I can't polish anymore clear out of my originals. Those Sylvania ZXE bulbs you installed really throw the light. I installed the Sylvania ultra-high performance bulbs in my Explorer Ironman w/the smoked factory headlights, and they are the best I've used to date. Anyway, the yellow cluster rings look great, ties into the yellow highlights under the hood. Thanks for posting the pics & details.
2005 PT GT Convertible HO Turbo Autostick ~ black/black leather ~ 53,000 miles ~ summer-only driver ~ OEM rear sway bar ~ K&N 57 series CAI ~ 4-wheel ABS ~ Hawk Sector 27 drilled/slotted rotors ~ Hawk Performance Ceramic pads ~ Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Wide-Oval performance tires ~
Old 12 May 2017, 02:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Got a little done on my little PT Vert the another day.

I finally got around to installing the "improved" windshield washer nozzles. These are Dorman brand and are for a Chrysler Pacifica. The tips on the bottom of the nozzles point backwards instead of straight down.

This allows the rubber hoses to lay flat against the hood. It looks much neater and hopefully helps them not get as crispy from the heat.

I did this mod on my 2005 GT a couple of years ago. And I had no problems with the nozzles. But a likely didn't own the GT long enough to see if the improved setup got brittle like the original.

I also trimmed back the bottom on the insulation blanket. These get tattered and look back. I drew a straight line and trimmed off about seven inches.

Next, I tried my hand at some window tint film. I got the RVinyl pre-cut stuff for the two rear side windows and the back window. Needless to say, it turned out pretty rough. The pre-cut pieces were not quite big enough and I'm just no good at applying the tint film.

While it looks okay in web-sized photos, it's pretty shabby in real life. I will need to scrape this off and let the "pre-fessinals" do it where I got my sweetie's car done.

vermontpetey and Carnut like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 12 May 2017 at 02:56 pm.
Old 12 May 2017, 07:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't think it's heat. I suspect it a reaction to the chemicals in the washer fluid. But can't confirm this. I have seen this with others.
wingman55 likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 May 2017, 05:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Handy's New Turbo Convertible PT Project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Once installed, I think the yellow rings look pretty "styling".

I used a mat clean coat to knock down the gloss and kill the reflections. And it looks very nice. My goals is almost always to modify something in a way that looks as though it might have come from the factory that way. And with the mat clean coat making it look like colored molded plastic, this fits the bill.

No photo, but I have a small round nickle-size Super Bee emblem on the right dash panel. It's a 1968 OEM replica and is white. If I replace that with a yellow bumble bee emblem, it with balance the color across the dash. Silver is a very clean looking color. But it's a little too monochrome sometimes. This will liven things up a bit.

When I bought the mat clear coat, I also grabbed some "Colonial Red". It's a fairly dark more-burgundy red. If the yellow proves too bright around the gauges at night, I'll likely try that. But the yellow looks great in the daylight.
This is an awesome mod. Five star mod.
Old 14 May 2017, 05:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

I also purchased the GT cluster and auto-stick, in Nov/Dec. Now that the weather is breaking, I'll be picking back up on these things. Before I do, I still need to sort out the transmission problem, that arose at the end of the season.
**2007 Chevy HHR LS - Transition to LT - 18" Solstice Wheels 235/45 & 225/45
Old 24 May 2017, 09:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

This weekend, me and my sweetie went to get a beautiful SunCoast cowl hood for my PT.

Forum member, Kevhead, had this for sale for a long time here on the forum and on eBay. And I've been wanting it ever since I saw it. But it was all the way up north of Chicago and far over on the wrong side of the Mason Dixon line. Finally, I decided to just bite the bullet and make the 700 mile trip up there to get it.

This hood is really nice. Kevin (Kevhead) had this hood on his 2004 GT show car. And he has won lots of trophies with it.

I had been busy last week and I hadn't had too much time for planning. I did find that a PT hood should lay flat in the bed of my Dodge Ram 1500 if I turn it sideways. I have a solid truck bed "cover" that I made 14 years ago to use on a trip. It's made out of scrap lumber and Astro Turf. After I used it on that trip 14 years ago, I put four legs on it and used it as a lawnmower shed in Arkansas fashion.

Last Thrusday while at work, I got an idea. So I came home, turned over my lawnmower shed, knocked off the legs and put it on my truck after a little rot repair. And hey, it doesn't look bad from ten feet away!

We drove up through St. Louis. The trip wasn't too bad. It was sunny at least part of the way.

Kevin lives north of Chicago. He and his wife are the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. Beautiful home, beautiful car (Plum Crazy Charger R/T) and beautiful people.

Kevin has an office full of PT trophies. If his PT was as immaculate as his Charger is, then it was one very fine machine.

The paint and scroll work on the hood was immaculate. It's a real shame to repaint it. I almost want to repaint the car to match the hood.

I also got this cool Airaid brand filter which matches up with the air induction vent in the hood.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST
rcktpwrd likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 24 May 2017 at 10:37 am.
Old 24 May 2017, 09:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

CONTINUED FROM LAST POST

After we got the hood, we went on to Chicago for a little sight seeing.

My sweetie wanted to go up to the top of the Sears Tower (now called the Willis Tower) and check out the view. I think she just wanted the backdrop so I could take her picture.

They had these cool glass "boxes" where you could go out a window and just stand there on glass in mid-air.

When we got back home, it was time for a test fit. This Suncoast hood is actually lighter than the stock hood, so it's pretty well a one-person job. Just put the hood in place with one hand and screw on the nuts with the other.

It took a little work to get the hood adjusted right. I ended up removing the cowling below the windshield so I could get to the nuts on the hood brackets. The holes for this in the chassis are slotted. So the brackets can be be moved up/down and backward/forwards about an inch as needed. Since the hood had already bee professionally finished, it fit nicely once the brackets were adjusted.

I drove my little PT to work the next day just to make sure there were no issues. This hood actually seems to fit better than the OEM hood. It's nice and solid and there is no shaking or air current whistling. The only issue is that I will need to relocated my windshield washer nozzles to beneath the back of the hood on the windshield cowling. And Kevin gave me some directions on how to do that.

Yesterday, I met with a paint shop guy recommended to me by our local Mopar Club. From the look of his shop, he appears to mainly do classic car restorations and hot rods. The cost will be $400 to have the hood painted. The plan is to use the same pattern. The blue will become PS2 silver. The white will become high metallic fleck charcoal. And then light blue pin strip will become Solar yellow. However, I did consider some other ideas as well:

Overall, I think I'm going to be really happy with this hood. I can't wait to get it painted and looking like she should.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 24 May 2017 at 11:32 am.
Old 24 May 2017, 02:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Todd, what about white to PS2 or flat black but extend the blue all the way around above the beltline including the roll bar? In other words, blue over silver.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.