PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Members PT Project

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Handy's New Turbo Convertible PT Project!

Like Tree1169Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Aug 2017, 10:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Handy's New Turbo Convertible PT Project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I was wondering about Jerry. :
Jerry has posted for a couple years health issues. Also it is not out of the ordinary for him to not post for several months at a time.

If you have his number call him leave a message with his brother. I am sure if he gets it he will stop in and say hello to everyone.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 02 Sep 2017, 11:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Today, it was time to change my top motor mount, otherwise know as the top torque strut or "dog bone" here in the South. I bought this over a year ago shorty after I bought this little PT, but the one in the car seemed good at the time. Now she needs a'changin'.

And yep. The old one was shot. Looks like it's an original Mopar part with the factory QC paint mark. I've discovered that the friends of the little girl I bought this car from blew a head gasket a year or so before they gave the car to the girl. Being business owners, they had the resources to fix it right. From the paperwork I've found and the new parts I can identify on the car, it looks like the head was cleaned and rebuilt, timing components changed, drive belts replace, radiator fan replaced and the turbo changed out. And the shop in Hot Springs appears to have done a good job from what I can tell. So I'm kind'a surprised they didn't do the motor mounts then too. But I guess it was still good at the time.

I'd taken my Charger Daytona to be washed. And I had planned to take the PT for the same, but this little "30-minute" just took a little longer than planned. The nut that's fixed in a groove on the bottom of the motor mount bracket tuned out to be loose and would just spin.

My engine is pretty clean and I can usually get by doing this kind of work in street clothes with an impact wrench and a few tools. But because I was going to have to bend over and squeeze my hand under that bracket with an 18 mm wrench, I had to go change because I knew I'd be sweating.

While it took a few more minutes than I first thought, it's good to get this done. I also figure out that I could install the back bolt first with the front of the mount turn in toward the fender. This gave me more room to use a wrench underneath. It also kept the bolt from getting in a bind. Then I just pulled the engine into place to set the two front bolts. I tightened those and then got the engine angle set to 12 cm from the back front bolt head center to the alignment hole on the bracket. I held the engine at the correct angle with my right hand and then snugged down the rear bolt with an impact wrench in my left hand.

By the time I got her back together, the car wash was closed. But hey, there's always the automatic (brushless) wash at the convenient store. And once gassed up and "semi-clean", my little PT Super Bee was ready to take me and my sweetie on a romantic summer evening drive.

rckstein and Carnut like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 Sep 2017 at 12:03 am.
Old 02 Sep 2017, 11:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post

I see there's still no hood emblems on there yet, what's the hold up
dougs and Handy_Cruiser like this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 17 Sep 2017, 01:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

This week, I finally found where the gas odor was coming from when I stop at stop signs. It appeared to be a leaking fuel rail. And the leak was at a welded joint for the seat for cyl #4 injector.

I had already gotten another fuel rail off a salvage 2003 GT. It has the Schrader valve on the end.

I replace the o-rings that seal the injectors into the fuel rail with Felpro ES70599. The lower o-rings that seal the injectors into the intake manifold were replace with Viton o-rings from a Doman assortment #90100.

I finished her us this afternoon and me and sweetie went for another awesome cruise around the county. And there be no smell except for the Chanel #5 on my sweetie.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 17 Sep 2017 at 01:02 am.
Old 17 Sep 2017, 08:35 am
Young Cruiser

Your tenacity has served you well.
You hung on to the problem like a Bull Terrier to a bone.

Not your run of the mill type of failure - Congratulations.

Love conquers all!
Ability is OK in a pinch.

I like the refuse bin top workbench surface.

Last edited by JDK52; 17 Sep 2017 at 08:39 am. Reason: Typo
Old 02 Nov 2017, 03:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Really looks nice. Are those the stock shocks? Our group went for a fall
color drive and stopped at a outdoor B.Q place to eat. These cars are a lot
of fun to drive. Its easy to get hooked on them.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 06:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Todd-

Do you have an original manual for your 'vert?

If not, a while back I purchased on Ebay an original Owner's Manual to get the Chrysler Winged Emblem pouch.

The manual ended up being for the '07 Sedan/Convertible, in very good-excellent condition:

You're welcome to it, if you want it, if you just cover the postage to send it to you. But it will have the standard vinyl pouch, as I kept the winged one for my manual. But I was just cleaning house and came across it and would rather see someone get it rather than throw it out.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 19 Nov 2017, 07:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Todd-

Do you have an original manual for your 'vert?

If not, a while back I purchased on Ebay an original Owner's Manual to get the Chrysler Winged Emblem pouch.

The manual ended up being for the '07 Sedan/Convertible, in very good-excellent condition:

You're welcome to it, if you want it, if you just cover the postage to send it to you. But it will have the standard vinyl pouch, as I kept the winged one for my manual. But I was just cleaning house and came across it and would rather see someone get it rather than throw it out.
Thanks, Rick. I really appreciate you thinking of me.

But I believe those are the same manual books I already have. However, I need one of those nice winged manual pouches too.

rckstein likes this.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 07:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Thanks, Rick. I really appreciate you thinking of me.

But I believe those are the same manual books I already have. However, I need one of those nice winged manual pouches too.
Oops, I wish I had known, I had a couple for sale a few months ago:

Winged Emblem Owner's Manual Pouches

I was at the salvage yard one day and came across 2 of them still in the vehicles!

My pic is no longer appears in my post because I deleted it, but they looked like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Chrysl...taChsF&vxp=mtr

If I come across another sometime, I'll keep you in mind.

USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 19 Nov 2017 at 07:41 pm.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 07:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Oops, I wish I had known, I had a couple for sale a few months ago:

Winged Emblem Owner's Manual Pouches

I was at the salvage yard one day and came across 2 of them still in the vehicles!

My pic is no longer appears in my post because I deleted it, but they looked like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Chrysl...taChsF&vxp=mtr

If I come across another sometime, I'll keep you in mind.

Very cool. Based on our conversation, I just snagged one on eBay from a 2007 Chrysler 300. Thanks for the idea. You are the man.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Chrysl...RaAMk2&vxp=mtr
rckstein likes this.