PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Members PT Project

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Handy's New Turbo Convertible PT Project!

Like Tree1194Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jan 2018, 12:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Handy's New Turbo Convertible PT Project!

After a month of having my little PT safely under her fitting comforter, the sun began to shine and it warmed up. Time to get her ready to go again. It won't be long until convertible weather is here once again.

I started with slow charge on the battery to get her fully charged up.

Oil and the other fluids looked good. She should be ready to go.

When I removed the car cover, I found a whole family of little spiders had been weathering all the snow and cold stuff on the convertible top. I'm not sure what they found to eat under there. But at least they stay warm and toasty.

I had taken my little PT for a final wash and "detail" right before putting her up for the cold stuff. I say "detail" in quotes because the place I used to take her to got bought out and most of the hand-detailing went away. I found a new place, but I still have to do the interior myself now. Still, not too bad a deal.

I just love all that sun. It got up into the 60's today. Convertible weather may already be here. There's nothing like Arkansas in the early springtime.

Me and my PT made a little run into town. It was good to get here out on the road again. She turns lots of heads, you know.

Old 17 Mar 2018, 10:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Today I finally got the side skirts installed for good. These are from an original Mopar body kit that I found on a 2002 PT wagon at a salvage yard. I got the complete kit, but the front and back pieces will not work on a 2nd PT. However, I believe these side skirts match up with the 2nd Gen font and rear bumpers well. They were already PS2 silver, but I had my paint guy reshoot them so they look brand spanking new.

The side skirts are primarily held on with 3M two-sided tape. The only direct bolts are shared with front fender liners. Beneath the car, the side skirts use these aluminum brackets. There are three on each side and they just "pinch" the body seam with a set screw. On the PT I took these off of, most of these brackets had come loose, one was missing and all were badly bent.

I straightened them all up and replaced the set screws with hex-headed bolts that could be tightened a little better. I also added fender washers to keep from damaging the skirts.

For the missing bracket, I fabricated one using a plate made for holding two boards together. Home Depot sells these and they are useful for many things. Also, this bracket is bolted on solid through a hole I drilled in the body seam. I may go back and drill them all if they show any signs of coming loose.

I really like the look of these side skirts. And they seem to fit the convertible PT fine. The only thing I found that may be different than on the PT wagon is that the rear fender wells may flare out about half an inch less than on the wagon. To deal with this, I shorted the rear bracket half an inch. Other than that, the fit seems perfect.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 17 Mar 2018 at 10:19 pm.
Old 18 Mar 2018, 07:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Handy's New Turbo Convertible PT Project!

Looks great!
wwpptc and Handy_Cruiser like this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 18 Mar 2018, 08:36 am
Veteran Cruiser

A real work of ART --- no, not Art Fernbuckletonville --- He's another guy we all know. Besides, he doesn't live anywhere near HANDY.

Jerry
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 18 Mar 2018, 07:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Smile Re: Handy's New Turbo Convertible PT Project!

Looks really nice ! You do good work.
Old 18 Mar 2018, 08:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I notice on the bottom of the rocker panel a series of rubber plugs. I wonder if these are peculiar only to the 'vert as my PT does not have them? Or maybe your PT had some rustproofing done at one time and those could be access holes that someone put there to fill the rocker panel with rustproofing material.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 18 Mar 2018, 10:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I notice on the bottom of the rocker panel a series of rubber plugs. I wonder if these are peculiar only to the 'vert as my PT does not have them? Or maybe your PT had some rustproofing done at one time and those could be access holes that someone put there to fill the rocker panel with rustproofing material.
This is has always been a southern car and rust just isn't much of an issue here. I figure the plugs are factory. Someone else with a vert will need to confirm that. Maybe they are there to help drain the floorboard this being a convertible and all.
Old 06 Aug 2018, 11:08 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Drove my little PT Vert to work today with the top popped.

Here's the first of many glamor shots.

ive always liked the headlamps from the 01's to the 05's. But that bumper looks so much better than the 1st gen ones. I may end up changing the lights on mine just to get that bumper.