PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Members PT Project

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Handy's New Turbo Convertible PT Project!

Like Tree999Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jul 2016, 10:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Wink Handy's New Turbo Convertible PT Project!

Yep,

I'm back and I have some new wheels.

While concentrating on my Hemi Charger Daytona and taking a hiatus from the PT Cruiser world, I stumbled upon the PT I wanted from my next project at the price I wanted to pay.

I'd been watching this 2007 PT convertible a while on Craigslist. The transmission quit working while this young girl was going down the highway. She got her brother to tow it home for her and he ended up destroying the bumper cover in the process. Other than that, the car appears almost perfectly straight. And it has what appears to be a new convertible top make out of good quality material. Also, the Craigslist ad said there was no title.

While watching the car on Craiglist, it went from $2500 to $2000 and then $500. Of course, I jumped fast when I saw that. The girl didn't list the price on the heading of the ad. So buyers had to keep reading the description to see this price drop. And I'm sure many didn't do that.

When I got to the girls house, I found she was young about my son's age, unmarried with a child living in a small rent house near a vocational school. She didn't have the title and she said there was a lean on it. Reading between the lines on what the girl told me, I gleaned that she had been working at a daycare and needed a car. So the owners gave her this PT convertible with the idea she would pay them back. But her life is such that she never got a round to doing that. And now the transmission was out. She told me that her "friends" at the daycare would likely just sign to clear the lean if it would help her get another car. But she had just planned to sell it with no title. I felt sorry for her and offered her a $1,000 for the car if she could get the title. I realize that this young girl seems to partially live off the kindness of strangers, but she was very sweet and reminded me of my own kids.

Anyway, the car is mine now. The young girl used the $1K as a down payment on a better car. And I'm already planning my upgrades. Tranny will be first to get her roadworthy and then some cosmetics and performance upgrade that are already in the works to give her the power I've grown accustom to.

I had wanted a 2005 convertible, but I guess I needed a 2nd Gen model of my own so I could work out all the kinks on these for myself. The tranny is almost unique to this car. It was used in 2007/2008 PT turbos and "some" of the 2006 turbos according to Chrysler. It's one of several versions of the 41TES. It's like the 41TE used on the early turbos and most 2001/2002 PT's, but it's got "variable line-fluid pressure" (VLP). Chrysler went to this on almost all 40TE and 41TE trannys by 2007. And to talk to the ECU, it's got to be a specific version for my car. The ones like it used in other 2.4L Mopars are different to some degree. But I got lucky and found one for $300 plus shipping with 56K on it. It should at my house early next week.

She needs a lot of work. But she seems to have good "bones". A new head gasket was installed about year ago and the timing components were done at that time as well. The engine runs great and sound perfect. And the top goes up and down as it should. It will take a lot to get her up to "Handy" standards. But frankly, I enjoy working on these little toy cars more than driving them. So that's okay.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 07 Jul 2016 at 10:33 am.
Old 07 Jul 2016, 10:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Handy's New Turbo Convertible PT Project!

Great job finding that one Todd. You can start a new thread in the "projects" section with your new vert and the work that needs to get her up and running.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 07 Jul 2016, 11:09 am
Veteran Cruiser

Welcome to the G2 World

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 07 Jul 2016, 11:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome back to the forum

This project should keep you busy for a whIle, and you'll have plenty to learn about the Gen2 quirks

You'll have to edit your signature pics to include your new adopted child

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
140K Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '83 - '93
Old 07 Jul 2016, 12:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I felt sorry for her and offered her a $1,000 for the car if she could get the title. I realize that this young girl seems to partially live off the kindness of strangers, but she was very sweet ....

ADHD=Auto Detailing & Hotrodding Dude

Last edited by NitroPT; 14 Sep 2016 at 05:41 pm.
Old 07 Jul 2016, 12:09 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Congratulations on a great find, Todd. You did good and did a good deed helping that little girl out. Most people are not as kind as you. I salute you for that!

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
2003 PT GT 2.4 turbo auto stick
Old 07 Jul 2016, 04:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Way to go Todd. A win for you and a win for the young lady too. With the tittle clear it's worth it. Once again the class of the Pt Cruiser Forum (Handy_Cruiser) shines through. I'll be lookin' forward to the progress on your new "find".
Happy "new" Ptin', ptprice
2.4 Cyl. DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. W/Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans., 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-Up Torque Converter, 16 X 6 Aluminum Chrome Clad Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring Tires, Touring Suspension.
Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, 3/8" Belt Trim, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel, Chrome Tail Lights, Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moonroof, Fog and Back Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Premium Trim, Taupe/Pearl Beige Leather Bucket Seats. Driver's Seat Power Height Adjust and Manual Lumbar Adjust, Passenger's Seat Storage Drawer. Full Length Floor Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass console, Rear Shelf, AM/FM CD GPS Nav. Radio, 6 Premium Speakers. Back Up Camera w/Monitor.
Old 07 Jul 2016, 06:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Congrats on the new car Todd! Interesting to read about the difference in the transmissions used on that car too!
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 07 Jul 2016, 06:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

"I had wanted a 2005 convertible"

Change the headlights and grill with the new bumper you'll be close.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
2004 Dream Cruiser / 5 speed Traded for 12 Veloster
2003 GT / Blue / Auto /sold
2001 Touring/ Silver / 5 speed /sold on E Bay
Old 07 Jul 2016, 07:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Turbo "Lite" or GT?
Any pics of the former owner?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles