PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
The Next 48...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Sep 2016, 05:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: The Next 48...

have you adjusted the tension on the alternator belt? sounds like it is slightly loose.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 29 Sep 2016, 07:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
have you adjusted the tension on the alternator belt? sounds like it is slightly loose.
Good idea, but it has been done. I don't think it was ever loose. It doesn't make even the slightest sound unless it is wet. It was actually completely silent for a couple of days - now it is raining.
Old 29 Sep 2016, 08:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Then I would say it's probably time for a new belt.
Fk5 likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 30 Sep 2016, 08:31 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
Then I would say it's probably time for a new belt.
Well past time. I have the belt. It is kind of a PITA to deal with, so I have been putting out the larger fires first. The only reason I posted that is because the noise sometimes makes me wonder if it is the bearing.
rcktpwrd likes this.
Old 02 Oct 2016, 06:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Okay. On to the cam position sensor. Drove the car from DC to NY Friday. Light had been out since Wednesday. As I got on 95 just north of Baltimore the light came back on. Checked the ultra-gauge and it was P0340 again. No shock.

Shortly thereafter I got a strange feeling like the car was cutting out. After a few times I realized that when the car went over 2500 rpm it would just shut down. If I coasted it down, no problem. Car actually ran fine, but 2500 is right around 60. That sure adds some time to the trip.

Since I had to go slow, I took the scenic route through PA. It avoids about $15 in tolls. As I get halfway over the Commodore Barry Bridge everybody slams on their brakes. Turns out a car about 15 in front of me is pulled over in the right line and fully engulfed in flames. One hour wait.

Car cooled down and I could go over 60 again. This did not surprise me. I have had the same issue with Hall effect sensors in 2.2 Mopars and small blocks. Cool they are okay, hot and they have intermittent failures.

Had to buy a Duralast at AutoZone since the Mopar dealer was closed. Put it in pretty quickly. Not bad, but the cavity was full of oil. I dried it out with a paper towel, but was that a problem? Where is it coming from? What am I supposed to expect?

Reset the code and car ran fine on the test ride. We will see how she does when I head back to DC tonight. Still have the P0517 code on the key dance, but not the ultra-gauge or my friend's scan tool.
Old 03 Oct 2016, 10:17 am
Senior Cruiser

Okay. Drove it back to DC. Ran fine. Could go 80+ mph all day with no problems. The shake is still intermittent and there, but seems less severe. I am hoping that means that it is the motor mounts/torque struts and because the car is running smoother it isn't as noticeable. Rather do them than axle shafts. Turned 153,000 miles, then 153,351, then some more. Going to try to check the (manual) trans fluid tonight.
Old 21 Nov 2016, 10:42 am
Senior Cruiser

Even the simple things aren't so simple...

Last week I realized it was starting to get pretty cold, so I drained the radiator and filled it with Zerex G05. I have had nothing but water in it since my radiator started leaking (again). When I swapped radiators I went with water until I knew it wasn't leaking, well.

I filled it and drove it to work and back for 3 or 4 days. Short 5 minute trip, it is just up to temp when I get where I am going. Had to put a tiny bit of water in it the first couple of days. Come out to the car on Friday after work and there is a puddle under it. Leaking from the drain plug it appears. Wearing a suit, so I just top it off (it took a lot) and drove it home. Get home - no drain plug. Literally none. It must have backed out.

I could blame myself, but I checked it for 3 or 4 days and it was fine each time, with no leak and it was tight. Then it is just gone. Was driving a friend up to NY, so I had her husband run me to Advance and picked up a new plug and a spare. Put it in. Filled it up and drove to NY. Turned 155,000 and then 155,155 and then another couple of hundred miles.

Car ran fine at 80-85+, but of course it is full of water again and it is supposed to be 24 degrees tomorrow. Guess what I am doing (again) tonight.

A job so simple a monkey could do it and I am doing it again. Ah, good times.
Gkon likes this.
Old 21 Nov 2016, 10:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Even the simple things aren't so simple...

Last week I realized it was starting to get pretty cold, so I drained the radiator and filled it with Zerex G05. I have had nothing but water in it since my radiator started leaking (again). When I swapped radiators I went with water until I knew it wasn't leaking, well.

I filled it and drove it to work and back for 3 or 4 days. Short 5 minute trip, it is just up to temp when I get where I am going. Had to put a tiny bit of water in it the first couple of days. Come out to the car on Friday after work and there is a puddle under it. Leaking from the drain plug it appears. Wearing a suit, so I just top it off (it took a lot) and drove it home. Get home - no drain plug. Literally none. It must have backed out.

I could blame myself, but I checked it for 3 or 4 days and it was fine each time, with no leak and it was tight. Then it is just gone. Was driving a friend up to NY, so I had her husband run me to Advance and picked up a new plug and a spare. Put it in. Filled it up and drove to NY. Turned 155,000 and then 155,155 and then another couple of hundred miles.

Car ran fine at 80-85+, but of course it is full of water again and it is supposed to be 24 degrees tomorrow. Guess what I am doing (again) tonight.

A job so simple a monkey could do it and I am doing it again. Ah, good times.
So did all the water drain out, or did it overheat at any time?

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 21 Nov 2016, 11:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

*When you have a cooling system leak do not run only water unless it is for some form of repair procedure.
If you are concerned that you may freeze the coolant because of not having sufficient anti freeze in you vehicle get cardboard lay on the ground and position the engine over it. Then if you have an old blanket (u-hail type are best) open hood and place on top of engine. As long as they do not get wet you should be able to protect your coolant from freezing in most situations. Common since is a must for success using this type of temporary protection.

I recommend to any members to read this thread recently started by another members.
Smells Like Warm Coolant When Heat is On

* laws of thermodynamics, thermodynamics, thermodynamic system,etc., within this family of information as it pertains to fluids and temperature relationships.
Gkon likes this.

Last edited by NitroPT; 21 Nov 2016 at 11:17 am.
Old 21 Nov 2016, 11:20 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
So did all the water drain out, or did it overheat at any time?
It never overheated. It never even got more than slightly above halfway when I shut it down.

I ran water in it because water is basically free and that coolant costs $16 a gallon. The car runs fine with water - I know the coolant also offers some lubrication and corrosion resistant properties. I took my chances and kept the $16 in my pocket. Buying more tonight.

I don't think I will need a blanket. The car is in a parking deck now and parked inside at night. It isn't supposed to go below 31 degrees, so I like my chances to make it until this evening.