PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
The Next 48...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Nov 2016, 11:24 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: The Next 48...

Another point I make is that this car is different than old Mopars. I'm not sure exactly where/how the temp sensor works.

On old Mopar 318s, if they leak all the coolant out, there will be no water to be "hot" and the idiot light won't come on. I believe that on my turbo 1 2.2 Mopars there was a stud on the aluminum head that was used for temp. If you drained them and drove them the gauge would show hot. This car appears to act like those.

FWIW, all the coolant was draining out of this car, but since the thermostat was barely opening when I got home it wasn't much of an issue.
Old 21 Nov 2016, 12:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
It never overheated. It never even got more than slightly above halfway when I shut it down.
.... assuming without verification is never good when it comes to engine temperatures and reading OEM gauges.

I double checked the readings with a hand help thermal gun because the Ultra Gauge and the factory gauge gets their information from the PCM and the coolant temperature sensor.

Temperature range on dash gauge

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Nov 2016, 02:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

I put 800 miles on it without incident since Friday. Most at speeds over 80. Probably don't need an infra-red thermometer to verify. Cool tools are always fun to use, but my wife is keeping me busy enough. I just need the thing to keep getting me back and forth a bit longer.
Old 22 Nov 2016, 08:45 am
Senior Cruiser

I left out the lamest part of my saga!

Last Friday, when I found out there was no drain plug, a light bulb went off. I thought no big deal, I have the old radiator in a box in the corner of the garage. Pull the thing out of the box, yank the drain plug, go to put it in the car... It is about half the size. Son of a....! That was why I had to buy drainplug(s).

Last night I went to Advance, returned the unused plug and picked up another gallon of G05 - another $12 (after the return). Went home, drained the radiator in the driveway and refilled it with the Zerex. None too soon, it is 30 this morning and supposed to drop to 24 at some point.

This morning when I got to the metro parking deck I saw my puddle was still there. Everybody took off this week for Thanksgiving, so the deck is empty. I went over to where the puddle was and, sure enough, there is my drain plug. A couple of cars parked over it and somebody must have kicked it, but now I have a spare again. Back to checking and rechecking.
Old 23 Nov 2016, 05:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

pretty crazy about the drain plug coming out!
is there a chance you left it loose?
or someone climbed under the car and pulled it?

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 25 Nov 2016, 08:50 am
Senior Cruiser

Another uneventful trip back and forth to NY. Put another 500+ miles on it. No leak from the radiator, the drain plug appears to be staying tight.

Had a strange deal where I started it up on Thursday morning I moved it across the street so an older friend could have a short week into the house and it seemed to be leaking something. There was a puddle under the right front and a drip where it was moved. Checked all the fluids and they were good. Maybe it was from the overflow. It seemed a little greasy and stayed around after it should have evaporated though. Possible that is grease and run off from the engine bay which is pretty dirty. Couldn't judge the color, but it was a bit slimy with no smell.

I checked the P/S, brake fluid, oil and coolant and they were all full. Made it home fine and didn't seem to be leaking on the ride home last night. I will try to check into it further this weekend.
Old 25 Nov 2016, 08:52 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
pretty crazy about the drain plug coming out!
is there a chance you left it loose?
or someone climbed under the car and pulled it?
There is a chance I left it loose, but I checked it a couple of times over three days and it was fine. I doubt anybody would crawl under it at the parking deck and the likelihood of them deciding to do it within a week of me changing coolant is pretty remote.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 10:24 am
Senior Cruiser

Turned 157,000 miles last night in north Jersey. Put another couple of hundred on it before I pulled in the garage.

Heater core is still leaking. The leak is mild, but is going on a year and a half and did get a bit worse (fogs the windows).

It still has the vibration under load. This varies in severity, but at times is brutal. My drive to work is at speeds under 50. Car feels 100% great at these speeds. Crank it up over 60 and uphill? Whole 'nother story. In fact, I spent a decent chunk of my ride under 70 because it would shake too much. Drove through PA to save tolls (my tolls round trip are approximately $38 less than my wife). A decent portion is at lower speeds. When route 1 opens up in PA, I realized the car was smooth and ended up driving 80-85 most of the rest of the way. This has gotten worse, but did it when my Dad had the car. He remembered taking his SRT8 Challenger out in the 2010 blizzard because the PT shook so badly. He said he had to take the traction control off or the car wouldn't even move. Supposedly the PT had all CV joints, wheel bearings (twice) and struts changed in that time. Not sure if that precludes an axle. May also be motor mounts/torque struts. I will check the measurement because the car has had the timing belt done in that time too. The torque struts seem blown, so I have been hoping that was it.
*STILL* haven't done the chirping alternator belt, so that should all go together on the passenger front.

Bad clunk over bumps in the left front. It would be great if this were what is causing the vibration, but I doubt it. It is considerably worse if you are turning right when you hit a bump with the LF.

I have to check the fluid in the trans (manual) and change the oil. I will probably do these and parking brake before I try to tackle any of the larger jobs - which I am getting prices on now. Knowing me, I will just wash the salt off when it gets warm and keep driving it. I don't have to drive it to NY again under April 7, but will need to go back on the 7th and 14th, so that will be D-day.

Last edited by Fk5; 20 Mar 2017 at 10:27 am.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 05:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

APRIL UPDATE: Abandoned the PT in NY. Shockingly Staten Island has no alternate side. Woo hoo! Drove my wife's car back to MD so that I can change the oil. That spec 0W20 is pretty pricey, especially if you let a shop do the work. I found it pretty cheap at BJ's.

Before I left the PT, I took it to the local tire shop to have some leaks fixed. My RF had a steady leak and seemed to have a nail in it for ages. I am almost embarrassed to say for how long. Luckily I have no shame! It was before I started this thread. Recently, when as expected I was washing the salt off it, the RR seemed to be leaking from the valve. It started losing around 12 psi a day. I finally couldn't deal with filling it that often, so I took it to the tire shop. Turned out the RR had two nails in it and they put a new valve.

They couldn't even get the RF off the car. I suddenly remembered one of the reasons I hadn't dealt with my squeaky belt or torque struts. The boss is an older guy who was working it with a sledge to get the socket on. Luckily my brakes don't seem warped. My Mom was pissed cause I drove her to get ravioli and some stuff from Pastosa and she had to walk home. If you aren't from Bensonhurst, you don't know. At least I got to drive the ravioli, sausages and olive oil home for her.

Eventually the little helper dude finished with the RR and got it off in a few minutes with a breaker bar and pipe. One issue they had was that some of the lug nuts were missing the caps. Next time I get it in the garage I will have to make sure that I can pull them all. Turned out the nail wasn't even leaking. It was more of a brad that didn't go all the way through. It was leaking from the valve and the bead-we have always had a problem with that with these (stock GT) wheels.

The car now has over 158,000 miles. The lower torque strut has a ding in the metal that retains the rubber. It also appears to be torn through, but I can't tell if that is how they are when new. I have to compare. The rubber seems old and brittle anyway. The lower control arms are what really looks bad and they may be next on my list. Particularly since the alternator belt hasn't been squeaking much. I will pretend that it cured itself!

Somewhere around here I have a punch list with about 50 items to take care of on this car. I have been neglecting it because the day of my next to last post in this thread was my last day at my old office. I worked until midnight. When I got home, my house had been broken into and my laptop stolen. I have been dealing with that, the new job, repairing and renovating the house, moving my wife down from NY and using her car more. The weather is getting nicer, so hopefully I will be able to start riding the bike more and maybe get one of my other cars down to keep in the garage.

Scratch tires off the punch list. Add lower control arms. Move alternator belt towards the bottom to be continually ignored.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 12:53 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Hadn't seen this before but informative and entertaining to say the least.
Love those Turbo Cruisers.
Now going back to dismantling the 07 Pacific Coast for a timing belt etc..
Fk5 likes this.