PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
The Next 48...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Sep 2017, 08:48 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: The Next 48...

Got the car back from my Dad. His car sat at the shop over a week and Allstate didn't even bother to come look at it. PT turned over 160,000 miles last night driving it back down to DC. Ran very well, my Dad putting 93 in it probably contributed to that. He also drove over a low curb and ripped the front valance/bumper. Ugh. He rigged it up with some wire, but it looks like it cracked at the seam coming out of the LF wheelwell. More work!

On the bright side, the car ran fine and the oil pressure switch has fixed the issue with the oil light. Hopefully this weekend I can tackle some of my simpler problems. Rear shocks at least.

Last edited by Fk5; 18 Sep 2017 at 08:53 am.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 11:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There should be a carrier bearing at the joint of the inner shaft and the outer axle. If that is gone. You got vibration alright.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Feb 2018, 10:40 am
Senior Cruiser

Well... still no rear shocks. I have not done anything more to it but drive.

My son was born December 21, 2017, so no sleep and we have been using my wife's car and looking for an SUV as a part timer to drag the extended family around on occasion. Looking for a 3-row Hemi with 4/AWD. Prefer an Aspen, but also looking at Commander and 2Gen Durango.

Car turned 162,000 yesterday on the way to work. Only 2,000 miles since August. Wow, guess driving it 10 miles back and forth to the train station doesn't add up. No new issues, but due to the lack of a parking brake I did lose a tire. Car rolled down the driveway and smacked the curb. Blew out the RR and put a kink in the wheel so it won't hold air, so I am back without a spare. Contemplating getting it straightened because I have a couple of warped extras already + an aluminum 15" spacesaver which is flat and way too small.

I haven't done anything about the vibration. Current ride is all 45mph and below. The only time I feel anything is when making a sharp left turn, there is one coming from the right front which feels related to wheel speed. My cousin starting yapping at me about "death wobble" on his old XJ Cherokee and it sounds like what my car has - will have to look into that. As far as I know, the suspensions are not even remotely similar.
Old 08 May 2018, 04:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Figured I'd keep blogging.

Car seems to be running fairly lousy and last tank was my worst ever. 14 mpg! I guess I spend way too much time idling, but that is still bad. Normal straight city I used to get 17-18 mpg.

I have been saying that something feels wrong and CEL just popped on. P0325 which is the knock sensor. I have to check the wiring and go from there.

I have been having some trouble shifting. It is particularly difficult to go from 2nd to 3rd. You have to be very deliberate, wiggle it around in neutral before you try to shift across the gate. I think that it is the underhood bushings which have been basically gone for years. Guess I should spring the $25 for some booger bushing already.
Old 09 May 2018, 10:42 am
Senior Cruiser

CEL is out now, so I guess it is an intermittent thing with the knock sensor. FWIW, I found it with the key dance easily. The code reader verified, but once again, I don't see the issue with the key dance as a preliminary.

Parked next to a white 2G turbo in the metro parking deck this morning. Front bumper looked melted and duct taped at the right headlight, but otherwise a fairly nice car.

UPDATE on the MPG: I am not sure how full the tank was to start, so I will be tracking the next couple of tanks to see where I am at. I have over 100 miles and I'm barely below 3/4 now so maybe that was the issue.