PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
The Next 48...

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Sep 2016, 08:06 am
Senior Cruiser

Default The Next 48...

So, I have my 2003 GT 5 speed running fairly well again. I cured my P0304 misfire by changing the intake gaskets. Both the upper and lower were broken at #4 and the lower was missing a piece. Here is that thread P0304 that I used as a blog for my thrilling life as a PT owner. I figured I could still use a thread to keep track of what I do with it. I figured it would be best to post this in the project section. The just turned 152,000 miles and I will go another 48,000 before I have to make the big decision about timing belt service.

The car runs fairly well now. It seems to have a stumble on start up and seems like it might stall. Once it warms up it runs great. There are still some other residual problems. There is a vibration that ranges from almost non-existent to pretty violent that comes when the car is under load. Gas it up a hill and the wheel may feel like it is going to shake out of your hand. I think that is motor mounts. When you get off the gas it will smooth out and if you throw it in neutral it is smooth as glass. That is the next job to tackle... well, maybe I will do the oil change first or adjust the parking brake.
Old 08 Sep 2016, 08:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: The Next 48...

I look forward to reading more about you GT. Reading cool project threads like this is one of the main ways we get ideas from one another. Anyone can give armchair advice. But seeing something actually done on someone's PT makes all the difference. So keep it coming.
Fk5 likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 08 Sep 2016 at 08:14 am.
Old 08 Sep 2016, 08:47 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
... It seems to have a stumble on start up and seems like it might stall. Once it warms up it runs great. ....
Sounds like it could be an issue with the IAC.
Fk5 likes this.
Old 08 Sep 2016, 08:54 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Sounds like it could be an issue with the IAC.
I think that every time it does it. By the time I get home it is running so nice that I usually forget all about it. I have at least two IAC from the manifolds I pulled. Eventually, I will have to clean it and/or test one. Would that affect it starting? It usually starts on the first turn of the key, but not always. That is a new issue.
Old 08 Sep 2016, 09:15 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
I think that every time it does it. By the time I get home it is running so nice that I usually forget all about it. I have at least two IAC from the manifolds I pulled. Eventually, I will have to clean it and/or test one. Would that affect it starting? It usually starts on the first turn of the key, but not always. That is a new issue.
I haven't experienced the non start issue with them, but I have experienced the falling flat when cold issue. A new IAC cured it.
Old 08 Sep 2016, 01:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
. Reading cool project threads like this is one of the main ways we get ideas from one another. Anyone can give armchair advice. But seeing something actually done on someone's PT makes all the difference. So keep it coming.
HMM...? well there is that hidden wording again.

I guess I don't have to worry about part of it?

& ase =Already Seriously Experienced
Old 08 Sep 2016, 01:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

That chair has no arms!!!!
Old 08 Sep 2016, 06:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
There is a vibration that ranges from almost non-existent to pretty violent that comes when the car is under load. Gas it up a hill and the wheel may feel like it is going to shake out of your hand. I think that is motor mounts. When you get off the gas it will smooth out and if you throw it in neutral it is smooth as glass. That is the next job to tackle... well, maybe I will do the oil change first or adjust the parking brake.
Someone else I know had an issue very similar to this and it was a bad axle!
I went for a ride in the car and under normal acceleration there was very little vibration, but get into the throttle and boost and it felt like the front of the car was going to come off!
Fk5 likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 08 Sep 2016, 08:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
Someone else I know had an issue very similar to this and it was a bad axle!
I went for a ride in the car and under normal acceleration there was very little vibration, but get into the throttle and boost and it felt like the front of the car was going to come off!
Not sure why I liked that. I mean, I appreciate the advice, but I hope it's not the axle. I have read that is a potential cause, but I am leaning towards mounts. The shake is related to load. I can get all over it on level ground, 10 lbs of boost and no shake. Go up a hill and even at quarter throttle it may get violent.
rcktpwrd likes this.
Old 08 Sep 2016, 11:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Not sure why I liked that. I mean, I appreciate the advice, but I hope it's not the axle. I have read that is a potential cause, but I am leaning towards mounts. The shake is related to load. I can get all over it on level ground, 10 lbs of boost and no shake. Go up a hill and even at quarter throttle it may get violent.
On one of my PT Cruisers it would run great until it went up a hill under a load. I found out the spark plug wires were bad. After replacing the spark plug wires it ran great up the hills. Have you checked the spark plug wires?
Fk5 likes this.