PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'05 GT convertible build

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jan 2017, 08:39 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: '05 GT convertible build

If you're going to be driving this car daily and live in a climate where you need the heater, then I'd suggest you take that 180 thermostat out and put in the OEM temp 195 thermostat. The engine will perform better at the correct temp anyway, and you'll have more heat.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 15 Jan 2017, 09:12 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the input... it is not a daily driver, and I have no plans on making it one. I'm in PA, so there are varying temps here, but the car will be driven very little in the winter. I've had it out twice on mornings that were just below freezing, and didn't notice any difference in the heat. I'm sure it would be a factor in extreme temps. I went with the 180* thermostat strictly for the performance and cooling benefits. I suppose I might be losing 1-2mpg maybe, but I'm not really focusing on fuel mileage on this car.
Old 15 Jan 2017, 09:24 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Chuzz 180 is OK. I think i have a 185. My car came with a 160 which is too low. A 160 will prevent my rustang from entering closed loop and prevents quite a few things from happening in the computer. The slightly lower temp seems to lower the pressure in the cooling system and helps with heat soak.. unless I'm working on something like cold start/cold idle, i filter out all the data under 180 from my datalogs. Besides, his fans still kick on at the same temps.
chuzz likes this.
Old 15 Jan 2017, 09:28 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Lots of updates please.. and pictures!

Neat build. 😀
GtPt05 likes this.
Old 15 Jan 2017, 08:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

image.jpg

Today I installed a new battery and negative terminal. Also finished the exhaust system including hangers. Fired it up and brought it up to temperature. Exhaust sounds great. Nice tone, not too loud. I'm hoping to hear some turbo whine when it's under load, didn't get a chance to drive it as I have other things to accomplish while it's still up on blocks. I'm really liking the old-school chrome tip side exit, but that's a personal thing... might not be for everybody.
Old 15 Jan 2017, 08:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

image.jpg

Here is a good look at the system. There is more clearance between the muffler and the underside of the car than the picture shows. Simple and functional design. Still have to remove the rear section of the factory exhaust... guess I got ahead of myself!

Last edited by GtPt05; 15 Jan 2017 at 10:14 pm.
Old 15 Jan 2017, 10:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

image.jpg

For anyone considering performance mods to their PT, the O2 housing is a big focal point. The difference is pretty obvious here, but it doesn't illustrate how restrictive they are over all. Regardless of how great your exhaust system is, it will always be held back by this piece. Just something to consider.
chuzz and 03PTCrewser like this.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 10:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

In the last few days I've changed the oil (easy while it's still up on blocks) and removed the rest of the factory exhaust. My next project is the fuel pump. I removed the fuel tank from the car, and pulled the fuel pump basket out of the tank. Ordinarily, you would simply replace the fuel pump assembly and replace the tank, but I like to make things difficult. On another tip from NitroPT, I looked into the HighFlow brand pumps. They test better than the Walbro, and are a quality piece. The down side is, they do not come assembled in the basket housing. So I had to disassemble the housing to replace the pump. I now need to install the new pump, replace the feed line that connects it to the housing, wire it into the housing plug, and reassemble the "basket".
Old 20 Jan 2017, 01:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtPt05 View Post
Attachment 20113

Here is a good look at the system. There is more clearance between the muffler and the underside of the car than the picture shows. Simple and functional design. Still have to remove the rear section of the factory exhaust... guess I got ahead of myself!
I like the side exit, haven't thought of that on a Cruiser.

This is just my opinion, cut the extra inch to inch and a half of the threaded stud off of the clamps. Looks cleaner and you won't have to worry about hanging (dragging) them on something.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 20 Jan 2017, 01:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I think I read somewhere that the exhaust currently pictured was temporarily set up for fitment and how it sounds before the final welding of parts and finishing touches?