PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'05 GT convertible build

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jan 2017, 02:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: '05 GT convertible build

Good advice on the clamps... It's hard to see from this perspective, but the bolts don't extend any lower than the center of the muffler, but, I do intend to cut them off for a cleaner look. These are the only two clamps that will be on the system when it is completed. One clamps the muffler to the downpipe, the other is for the hanger. NitroPT is correct... The rest of the system will all be welded. So when it's done, if I need to remove it for any reason, I can loosen the clamp and pop it off the rear hanger and pull everything behind the downpipe in one piece. The clamp at the front hanger will stay, and if I need to remove the downpipe, just loosen the clamp and remove the bolts at the O2 housing flange. Simple, clean, performance designed, and... it was pretty cheap! Thanks on the side exit compliment... It looks exactly the way I hoped it would, and I'm really liking it.
VsandFords likes this.

Last edited by GtPt05; 20 Jan 2017 at 03:50 pm.
Old 22 Jan 2017, 06:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

image.jpg

The new HighFlow pump is installed. Fuel tank has been reassembled and installed back into the car. I powered the pump with the ignition, and heard it kick on. I had completely emptied the tank while it was out, so I'll need to get some fresh fuel to put in to fire it up.

As far as installing the new pump into the basket... it is not without it's challenges. Disassembling the basket into it's three sections without breaking any tabs, wires, or fuel lines is tricky. The filter sock on the new pump is different, so some modifications were necessary, and the new pump has wired leads, where the factory had connectors at the pump. So some wiring was required as well. Also, I had to replace the feed line from the pump to where it connects on the basket. The original line is hard plastic line which I could not remove and save, so I replaced it with a section of fuel injection hose and clamped it.
Old 23 Jan 2017, 09:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

I put some fresh fuel in the tank today and fired it up. Everything is as it should be. Fuel gauge functions properly. I also used my fuel injection test gauge, which I ran in-line while running the engine, and it holds 58psi.

Next on the list is a trans fluid/filter change, and then on to the engine bay for some more interesting additions.
Old 29 Jan 2017, 10:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Some parts arrived, and I was able to accomplish these projects this weekend...

1. I wanted to add an aftermarket temp gauge, so while I was in there doing other things, I removed the lower thermostat housing, removed the bleeder valve, drilled and tapped the hole for 1/8"npt and installed a temperature sender. This requires removing the lower intake, which gave me the opportunity to replace the lower intake gasket. I also replaced the sender for the factory temp gauge while I was there.

2. I've been wanting to add a fuel pressure gauge. The '05 does not have a schrader valve on the fuel rail, so I bought an older ('03 and previous, I believe) rail with the schrader valve on the end of the rail, removed the internals of the valve, placed a fitting on the 4AN threads on the end of the rail, added an elbow, and attached a fuel pressure sender for an AutoMeter gauge. Some may consider a fuel pressure gauge to be overkill, but when tuning, it eliminates all doubt. Plus, I like gauges!

3. I purchased a replacement transmission pan that has a drain plug. I also got a sender bung to install in the pan, so I can install a temperature sender in the pan. I'll be using the same gauge as the additional temp sender I installed in the thermostat housing. An on-off-on toggle switch will be used to switch back and forth between the two senders so I can monitor both temps with one gauge. This project also allowed a new trans filter and fluid.

4. I dismantled the dashboard. I removed the gauge cluster to replace all the bulbs, as I had three that were burned out. The access also allows for running wires to gauges that will be mounted on the dashboard in pods, as well as running wires for gauges in the custom triple gauge pillar pod that I got from Ortiz Custom Pods. The pillar pod is color matched to the dash and other trim with a spray match I got from a local paint shop. The gauge pods for the dashboard are color matched also. I'll also be replacing the dash tweeters while I'm in there, still need to remove door panels to replace door speakers. I'll go into detail about that when I get that accomplished.
Old 31 Jan 2017, 02:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

image.jpg

Here's a picture of the installed temp sender in the lower thermostat housing. Excuse the unprotected and not yet routed wire!
NitroPT and LionPT like this.
Old 31 Jan 2017, 04:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

image.jpg

Here is the new fuel rail. This was just before installation, which is when I realized my previous measurement was a little off, and the boost return hose was going to interfere with the sending unit. So I put a 90 degree elbow between the sender and the coupler. The sender is now angled down between the top radiator hose and the boost return hose.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 01 Feb 2017, 12:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

image.jpg

This is the new pan... My extra temp sender arrived, so I drilled the pan for the sender bung, sanded the paint off around the hole for a good ground, installed the bung and tack welded the inside nut for an even better ground. I then taped off the bung and touched up the paint around it to prevent rusting. I also sanded the paint off three of the bolt locations for a good ground with the bolts. After the pan is installed, I'll touch the paint up there as well.
NitroPT and Carnut like this.
Old 01 Feb 2017, 10:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

The new transmission pan is installed. Wiring from the senders for coolant temp, trans temp, oil pressure, and fuel pressure have all been run through the firewall, sheathed and secured. Next I'll be moving to the interior to replace the gauge cluster bulbs, run all gauge wires, replace all speakers, and finally install the triple gauge pod.
wingman55 likes this.
Old 02 Feb 2017, 09:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

image.jpg

Running wires for gauges, and replacing gauge cluster bulbs... I removed the seat because I'm 6'3" and I don't fold well.
Old 04 Feb 2017, 10:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

image.jpg

Dashboard gauges installed. These include fuel pressure, oil pressure, and a temp gauge that can be switched between coolant and transmission. The new tweeters were installed in the dash as well. The JBL speaker set I purchased comes with a number of mounting options for the tweeters, and there was a set of mounting baskets that fit the holes in the dash perfectly. Running wires for the gauges was... involved. Everything is very compact inside these dashboards. I've had one completely apart before, so I knew what I was getting into... lots of fishing for wires with your finger tips. I also replaced all of the gauge cluster bulbs.

Next will be installing and wiring gauges in the pillar pod, and installing door and rear speakers.

Last edited by GtPt05; 04 Feb 2017 at 11:01 pm.