PT Cruiser Forum

'05 GT convertible build

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Feb 2017, 01:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: '05 GT convertible build

image.jpg

I did this a few months back, just realized I hadn't posted it in my build thread. I'd estimate this mod was good for 5 horsepower...
Old 08 Feb 2017, 09:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

image.jpg

Door speakers installed, and door panels installed as well. These speaker sets came with passive crossovers, which split the high frequencies to the dash tweeters, and lower frequencies to these door speakers. I was able to tap into the factory door wiring harnesses under the dash on both driver and passenger sides, and connect everything there. The crossovers are mounted up under the dashboard by where the door wiring harness feeds out of the car. The factory speaker wires inside the doors are connected to the new speakers with plug-in connectors provided by Crutchfield. I tried them out and everything works good. Certainly more volume than the originals, and when fading back and forth to the original rear speakers that are still installed, the sound quality difference is huge. These are a nice upgrade for now, and they will already be in place when I upgrade the stereo itself. Still need to install the new rear speakers, but that will be after all the gauges are done.
Old 09 Feb 2017, 09:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

image.jpg

This arrived today... The rear spoiler/wing for the convertible. It's a Mopar NOS part that comes with all the hardware and literature. I think these really make a dramatic difference in the overall appearance of these cars, and I've wanted one since I bought the car. On a good tip from HandyCruiser, I got a great deal on this one. Wrong color, but automotive paint is something I've played with over the years, and changing colors will not be an issue. I'm pretty pumped about this score...
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 10 Feb 2017, 09:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

image.jpg

All gauges are in place. Still have some wiring to do, and need to make the faceplate for some switches that will be installed over the opening of the storage compartment that is just below the traction control switch panel.
Old 12 Feb 2017, 10:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

image.jpg

After a lot of wiring and sheet metal fab work, the gauges are wired and the faceplate is installed. It is mounted on 90* elbow brackets that are mounted on the sides of the storage compartment opening, with the nuts tack welded into the back side. Machine screws hold the plate in place.
Old 12 Feb 2017, 10:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

image.jpg

Here is a shot of everything back together.
Old 12 Feb 2017, 10:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

image.jpg

Here is a view of night time driving... The gauge lights are connected to the dimmer switch, so they are adjustable, and the wideband gauge dimmer is connected to the running lights, so any time the headlights or running lights are on, the dimmer is activated on the wideband gauge.
Old 14 Feb 2017, 03:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This thread makes me wish Inhad a topless PT Cruiser. This is project I like to follow it progress. Nice work bro!
Old 17 Feb 2017, 10:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thank you for the compliment... I have been collecting parts for this project for a while, and now it's all coming together. The car has been up on blocks for a couple months now, and I'm really looking forward to driving it again. It's getting very close!

Today I had enough time to calibrate the wideband gauge, install the O2 sensor in the exhaust, and run the cable from the sensor to the gauge inside and secure everything.

The gauge is an Innovate SCG-1... It's a cool piece of equipment, with a lot of features. Obviously, it is a wideband air/fuel ratio gauge. It also has a programmable shift light (which I won't be using with my automatic trans), it has a digital boost gauge, and it also has a digital-over-mechanical boost controller with all sorts of programming options. I'll be playing with the boost control features at a later time, using it to dial in one or two psi over the 15psi I'm running now. It won't gain me much in the way of horsepower, but every little bit helps, and it's a neat feature that is already included in the gauge, so I'll get into it at some point. For now, the wideband will help with overall tuning.
Old 18 Feb 2017, 10:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

I dropped the car down off the blocks today and took it for a drive. It felt great to drive it again, I really enjoy this car. The wideband gauge is working well, and is reading exactly what I expected. It will be very valuable for tuning purposes.

The exhaust sounds great... nice low tone at idle and normal driving. With the windows up, you can hardly hear it. Under boost it really opens up... very aggressive, and sounds as good as you could expect a four cylinder to sound. It has been a few months since I drove the car, so it's hard to make accurate comparisons. It definitely spools quicker. As far as top end, it has always pulled hard, so improvement would be hard to define without a dyno or 1/4 mile slips. Obviously it's an improvement, but I can't say for sure to what degree. The big advantage from the exhaust will be the free-flow for future mods. I'm very happy with this setup... looking forward to doing some tuning to take advantage of all this.
Handy_Cruiser and Carnut like this.