PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'05 GT convertible build

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Oct 2016, 10:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default '05 GT convertible build

Hello all... A few months ago I purchased an '05 GT convertible with autostick. It has around 85k on it, and in very nice shape. I knew very little about these cars when I bought it, and quickly learned what they are all about, and the performance potential. When I first purchased it, I had a lot of electronic issues, which turned out to be a bad PCM. I replaced it with a Stage 1 pcm, and have been hooked on this thing ever since. The family loves the car, I love the car, and I've been buying up performance parts and doing upgrades almost weekly. I've been compiling a number of go-fast parts, and will update as the project continues, but in the meantime, here's a list of the things I've done with the car to this point. I've had a lot of guidance so far, and done quite a bit of research, and have learned quite a bit in a short time. The experience on this forum is phenomenal, and I appreciate everything that the members have contributed to this build. NitroPT in particular, has tolerated numerous (sometimes daily) inquiries by me, and he has proven to be an endless source of test-proven information. I can't thank him enough for what he's done to help. A number of others have helped along the way as well, and for that I'm grateful. So, again... many more mods to come, as I am still collecting parts for this project. But in the meantime, here's where I am so far...

Mopar Stage 1 pcm
Mopar BOV
180* thermostat
Boomba PCV check valve
Airtex PCV
MSD coil
MSD wires
Champion plugs
K&N "cold" air induction
Autometer boost gauge
Diablosport Trinity tuner
Old 08 Oct 2016, 06:26 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: '05 GT convertible build

Among other routine maintenance tasks, I've also done a boost leak test which revealed a clamp that needed about a half turn to completely seal up (probably wasn't really losing anything there) and a compression test, to be sure I was starting with a healthy power plant.
Old 08 Oct 2016, 07:43 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Congrats on a nice project. You can't go wrong with the advice of NitroPT. Dude knows his stuff and has helped me out with mine too.
Busted_PT likes this.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
2003 PT GT 2.4 turbo auto stick
Old 08 Oct 2016, 10:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Congrats on a nice project. You can't go wrong with the advice of NitroPT. Dude knows his stuff and has helped me out with mine too.
I agree with him ^^^^^^^

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Oct 2016, 07:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

Today I picked up a parts car. It's an '05 4-door GT. It's been off the road a few years. Was diagnosed with a bad head gasket and the garage refused to do it, so the owner took it home with plans of trying it himself. He watched some videos and changed his mind. So I pulled it from the garage where it's been sitting since, and loaded it on a dolly and brought it home to be dismantled. There are some good spare parts, a few aftermarket trim parts, and a motor and trans for me to build while still running mine. I have plans for a custom hood project, and some other ideas that this will provide donor parts for. Also, it's nice to have a stockpile of things like PCM, switches, mirrors, electric motorized/solenoid items, and so on.

I've also been literally piling up aftermarket performance goodies, and soon will be installing most or all of those, so this thread should come to life when that happens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.8 KB, 37 views)
Carnut likes this.
Old 20 Nov 2016, 05:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

I've been stripping out the parts car. Lots of things I'll keep and probably never need, but if I don't keep them, you can guarantee I'd need them almost immediately! Motor and trans are out. Some people take it out the top, some people take it out the bottom... Me, I take it out the front! Not how I would do it if I were not stripping the car completely down, but in this case, it works.

If you ever wanted to see what your car looks like with all the front body panels removed, here ya go...

not sure why my photos keep turning sideways...? Sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.1 KB, 32 views)
03PTCrewser likes this.

Last edited by GtPt05; 20 Nov 2016 at 05:50 pm.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 10:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

So this project is getting under way. I pulled the car in the garage a few weeks ago, and got it jacked up on cement blocks for some ground clearance. While working underneath, I also use the floor jack to give myself another six inches or so. I'm 6'3" and 230lbs., so every little bit of room helps.

image.jpg
Old 14 Jan 2017, 10:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

The first order of business underneath is the exhaust. I went with the 3" O2 housing from Modern Performance. A well made piece, with the exception of the bolt pattern being just slightly too small to fit over the manifold studs. I called them to discuss the issue, and they said they would still warranty the part if I modified it to fit, so I opened the holes up a little and on it went. It is a bit of a job, with the heat shield and support brackets, but with some patience it went together. While I had everything out of the way, I installed some fittings to allow for the factory oil pressure sender and a sender for a pressure gauge, which I will get to later. I also replaced the power steering pressure sender because I was getting a code from that.

image.jpg
Old 14 Jan 2017, 10:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

The next piece of the puzzle is the downpipe. There are some options out there, so choosing the right piece depends on what you are looking to accomplish. I'm personally interested in performance first, sound was a secondary consideration. While the 3" downpipes give you a deeper tone, I went with 2.5" for better velocity and thermal dynamics. Truebendz makes a very nice piece and they offer many options. It's a mandrel bent pipe, comes with an optional Magnaflow high flow catalytic converter, and I also took the option for a second O2 sensor tapped hole, for an air/fuel gauge sensor. I'm very impressed with this piece, and it installed with no issues.

image.jpg
myckee likes this.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 11:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Next was the remainder of the exhaust. Again there are many options, and a lot depends on what your end goals are. My main goal is performance, so I went with a few basic principles. A short, high-flow system with as few bends as possible. Attached to the downpipe is a Borla Sportsman XR-1 muffler, which has a turbo-style muffler housing (which should produce a little deeper sound) but is a straight-thru design. After that is a mandrel 45* angle and a straight pipe which exits in front of the drivers side rear wheel. It will be wrapped to keep temps up to the exit, which will help with velocity. I'll be finishing clamps and hangers tomorrow and will get pictures...