Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By dsab
  • 2 Post By cruserdad1976

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 May 2017, 03:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Retro headlights

I wonder if its possible for non professional to make this kinds of retro headlights like on "fidel" ? any ideas from what material they made the whole front part also headlight "nest"? metal, fiberglass? The second one looks like more easy to make or made by small series custom headlight? Also the same question for rear wheel covers/ fenders? i dont like the front of pt, its mix of modern and retro-ish body. they could just make atleast the front 90% retro look, If they were worried about customers misunderstoonding Mitsuoka has very retro looking.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...cons/icon9.gif
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fidel1.jpg (62.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg headlights.jpg (84.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg rearwheel.jpg (96.2 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Dontknow; 20 May 2017 at 03:28 pm.
Old 20 May 2017, 05:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Retro headlights

Welcome to the forum from Texas.

Please go to new members section and introduce yourself and tell us something about your PT.

As far as the front end mods, it is all about you and your capabilities and talents. If you can work with metal, use metal. Same with fiberglass.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 20 May 2017, 06:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

If someone wants to modify their vehicle that's great but IMO I would not put that much money or time into a vehicle such as the PT Cruiser.

I don't mind spending money for mechanical repairs but even then there's a limit to how far I would go. I like the PT Cruiser but at the end of the day the car just doesn't have the value to make such modifications
Old 20 May 2017, 07:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

dsab,

Your not getting it. It isn't the value of what the cars worth if someone wants to spend THEIR money on customization. Nobody's going into dept buying custom parts in hope of someday it might be worth a lot of money. We do it for the pleasure of it because we like unique cars and the PT Cruiser definitely fits into that category. Adding addition parts or pieces that make it even more of a personal car makes it just that much more a unique vehicle. No thought in anyone's mind about how much it might be worth someday .......but then again, how the heck would you know what the future might dictate in the value of a car. If you have to think if it's worth fixing for mechanical repairs, you never had the admiration for the car in the first place. You probably thought it was a cheap 4 door vehicle that could be changed into a host of different interior configurations and got good gas mileage to boot. A million people liked the retro looks for an affordable price and fell in love with it.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 20 May 2017 at 08:33 pm.
Old 21 May 2017, 02:11 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
dsab,

Your not getting it. It isn't the value of what the cars worth if someone wants to spend THEIR money on customization. Nobody's going into dept buying custom parts in hope of someday it might be worth a lot of money. We do it for the pleasure of it because we like unique cars and the PT Cruiser definitely fits into that category. Adding addition parts or pieces that make it even more of a personal car makes it just that much more a unique vehicle. No thought in anyone's mind about how much it might be worth someday .......but then again, how the heck would you know what the future might dictate in the value of a car. If you have to think if it's worth fixing for mechanical repairs, you never had the admiration for the car in the first place. You probably thought it was a cheap 4 door vehicle that could be changed into a host of different interior configurations and got good gas mileage to boot. A million people liked the retro looks for an affordable price and fell in love with it.
Perhaps I was misunderstood and had no intention to offend and I do get it. I have no problem with someone modifying their cars. Please note I said it was great if someone wanted to do so. At no point did I say someone should not spend their money to modify their vehicle.

It's all about personal preference. When I bought my Cruiser in December you are correct it was a cheap car and I put over $2000.00 in it since. Would I put another $2000.00 in it? yeah I would.

To be clear, I like the Cruiser if I didn't I would not have put the time and money in the one I own and I wouldn't have driven it non stop for 18 hours on my recent trip to Pennsylvania. Seems to me if I didn't admire the car I wouldn't have spent 36 non stop hours in it.

One more thought, The are some good configuration options for the interior, (I did flip one of the back seats up once) as for gas mileage well I never thought it would be great but it's not bad at around 25 MPG for such a heavy and stable vehicle with a 2.4 under the hood
Carnut likes this.
Old 22 May 2017, 08:41 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Welcome from Vermont! As a fellow "Retro" lover I can understand why you like "Fidel". I've wanted to do this too, but the cost has been prohibitive for me so far. Haven't given up yet, just haven't gotten there yet...
Old 22 May 2017, 10:44 am
Cool Cruiser

As far as the 'rear wheel covers'. I don't know who makes them but the only place I found them was at this link: PT Cruiser Wheel Skirts, 2001-2010 Cruiser Motorsports

You might try a search for fender skirts, wheel skirts...since there aren't as many PT accessories sites out there like there used to be, it's harder to find the add-on parts. Local junkyards or craigslist/ebay may also turn up something.

You also might want to read this thread Looking for Rear Fender Skirts

2005 N/A 5 speed manual - Booger bushings, K&N Filter, MSD spark plug wires, APC Taillights, Accra-Form Running Boards, Hubcap Mike's Spoke Hubcaps, Retrosound radio (usb1-2/aux1-2/bluetooth), Chrysler 1949 Hood Ornament, and a Flameball white pearl shift knob (which makes it go faster).

Last edited by thehoghunter; 22 May 2017 at 10:48 am. Reason: added more info
Old 22 May 2017, 04:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well like already said everybody like some thing different to me these are simply BUTT UGLY but then if I had my way my PT would be a 4x4 jacked up running 33x12.5 17s monster mudders and have a Grave Digger wrap on it but hey im a redneck country Missouri Boy
vermontpetey and Carnut like this.