Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By UnitD77
  • 3 Post By UnitD77
  • 1 Post By UnitD77

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 May 2017, 03:33 am
Cool Cruiser

Default UnitD77's Week(s) of modding completed

So after a difficult Junior year of college. I finally saved enough money and favors to afford to lower the PT.

I drove up to my parents house to work out of the garage. The favor I used was parts for labor with my dad. He would give me all the parts I needed for the front suspension in exchange for installing his stage 1 Mopar springs on his 2015 Challenger.

After completing his work I got my parts, and set to work lowering the PT.

Got Tein Springs, Gabriel Ultra Front Struts, KYB Monotube shocks in the rear.
Sorry the pictures got rotated
PTFrontSuspension.jpg
Front suspension comparison

PTrearSuspension.jpg
Rear suspension installed

PTlowered.jpg
The Final result, about an 1.5 in the front lower, and almost 3 whole inches lower in the rear. Much better and exactly what I was looking for.
The new suspension is much nicer and firmer, not too harsh at all, and the monotubes are stiff, but don't ruin the ride quality at all, and while there is a difference front to rear going over a speed bump, it is not all that noticeable driving down the road.
Got the Watts link replaced while I was under the car.

Also while I was home, various mini projects got completed, such as installing that overhead console for the compass and wiring in the vanity lights on the mirrors
PTOverhead.jpg
Would have gotten the temp working, but the wiring is messed up between the sensor and the console, will look into later.

Also made a quick trip to the junkyard, looking for a clean bumper to no luck, but I did manage to find and install some sweet pedals off of a Signature series PT, would of taken the badges, but they were rotted. Nothing else interesting found, though the 1 solid row of PT's was a nice sight to search through.
PTPedals.jpg

There also was a conclusion to the missing coolant mystery I was having, turn out the filler neck where the radiator cap is, was cracked and spraying coolant between the timing chain cover and the block, only found it when I saw burnt coolant stains on the upper alternator bracket and followed it back. Got a new stant thermostat, gasket, filler neck, cap, and upper radiator hose to fix the problem and every part it touched. (no pictures sorry)

This concludes the week of modding that became multiple weeks for my PT. Tight new suspension, some cool pedals, a compass, and non disappearing coolant. Next project is to install the TCS (finally right?) before I get the $400 I need to buy all the shiny new rear end parts to do the disc brake conversion, then I'll look for someone to clean and refinish the 17inch GT wheel I got, and put tires on them.
That's down the road a bit, but the PT is ready to hit the Autocross track now with the new suspension and all, so I'll see what fun I can have with that and post some results for those interested.

05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 27 May 2017, 03:45 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: UnitD77's Week(s) of modding completed

Forgot top mention, Also took the bumper off to install new headlight housings. (those fender bolts rotted and needed to be cut off and replaced (pain the in @$$)). New housings make the old ones look like they had Cataracts.

But funny story, a buddy of mine came over to drink beer and watch me toil and chat, tried to take a gif of me removing the bumper when i was done, but it failed and turned into this hilarious gif of me furiously pull on the bumper without it coming off. I'd love to post it, but the attachments just keep changing it to a .jpg
PTBumpergif.jpg

Old 27 May 2017, 08:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You've been busy. Looks like your going to keep your PT for some time to come. Good Job
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 27 May 2017, 04:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Awesome work! That PT of yours is coming along nicely.
Old 05 Jun 2017, 06:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Looks like your going to keep your PT for some time to come.
Speaking of long time..... I'm graduating in Dec, and my parents and grandparents are looking for something to get me for graduation. I told them I want a Red, Hardtop, Manual, GT PT Cruiser.....

So I might be getting a new PT if they can find one, in good enough condition, and for cheap enough. But i'd have to keep my original PT for a while to swap all the good parts I put on it onto a new one.
vermontpetey likes this.