2003 GT - "PT Salvage"

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Dec 2017, 12:26 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 GT - "PT Salvage"

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
FWD is near Houston too, in Tomball, so you could visit them too I think. Modern Performance used to sell Syked's stuff. Maybe Syked was/is too busy and couldn't fill the orders fast enough? I don't know. Anyway FWD is definitely still doing it. I have a couple of cores on the way to her now.

I think the Stage 1 adds just enough pep to the car to make it fun to drive and not sacrifice any reliability. I added the blue 'blow off' plate too. It's little more than a noisemaker but it has a nice sound.
Quote:
The 'tuner device', like the DiabloSport, when using the 93 Octane included tune, would give him almost the same tune as the S1...to the cost of around $400 for the cheapest tuner. He already has the core pcm to use, and the S1 programming at FWD is $125. Even with the injectors, he would likely not spend much over 200 for everything.

He could still throw on a DS in the future if he decided he wanted more, and using the S1 pcm, he would have a better base to start from. The stock NGC1 pcm in the 2003 has small, low resolution maps. The NGC3 pcm that is required for the S1, has much higher resolution maps for finer and more accurate tuning. So tuning done using a DS on the S1 base would actually be better than trying to build a custom tune for the lower resolution 2003 NGC1 pcm.
I think for now I'll stick with the Stage 1 from FWD Performance then. Being able to do the DS later is a bonus. Might pick up the blowoff plate as well, and do it at the same time as injectors since I'll be in there already.

Seriously, I am trying to reign myself in on the budget.... the money I spent on the Abarth... you would not believe. I definitely appreciate the advice, guys.
myckee likes this.
#1: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth in Rosso RED (MAD FIAT)
#2: 2003 PT Cruiser GT in Boring Beige
Old 06 Dec 2017, 09:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I e-mailed sites two months ago and still have not received a reply...just fyi.
Old 08 Dec 2017, 05:23 pm
Young Cruiser

Looks like I might need new wheels. ... chrome is peeling badly.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-12-08 15.43.12.jpg (100.6 KB, 124 views)
Old 09 Dec 2017, 03:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Mine are peeling on the inside too. But the outside face of the wheel is still okay. From a few feet away you can't really see any bubbling. I have given up on finding a good set of them. I am okay with them looking good from a distance.
Old 10 Dec 2017, 04:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Mine are peeling on the inside too. But the outside face of the wheel is still okay. From a few feet away you can't really see any bubbling. I have given up on finding a good set of them. I am okay with them looking good from a distance.
Nitro just got a perfect set. Was to expensive to ship them. Or I would have got them.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 12 Dec 2017, 06:35 pm
Young Cruiser

Sent off my title application for Texas Salvage Title to Austin today. Hoping it doesn't take too long, the PT is ready to not sit like it has most of its life. Stuck a my old "GOT 500" plates from my first Fiat on it just so the apartments wouldn't hassle me about an untitled vehicle sitting in the lot. Can't drive it that way tho as the plates aren't registered to any vehicle.

Trunk is filling up with parts.

Ordered so far:
Used rubber floor mats (front & Cargo)
PCM Core from an 05. (To be flashed to Stage 1)
Stage 1 Injectors. (Since it's an 03)
Liftgate struts. (The stock ones are shot from age)
Airraid filter
Bumper guard (to hide bad paint on the rear bumper)
Touchup Paint (to fix a minor "issue" on the left front corner).
Radio Faceplate/Harness (to use a single-Din Motorized display Android HU I already have)
Black headlights (xtune, to replace fogged headlights one of which has a minor crack)
Wheels & Tires.. since the factory wheels are peeling terribly and the tires are dry rotted and not holding air.

For the wheels/tires, I downgraded to 16 inch.. mostly to save money for now, and to get a better tire selection. Ordered some black 5-spoke wheels that were quite cheap and BFG Comp/Sport 2 tires which I've always had good luck with on my Abarth. Don't know if I will try to refurb the factory wheels.

So tell me again how buying a salvage car was supposed to be cheap? lol... I guess all of these are normal 14 year old car issues anyway. But still.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheel_mbm_14_black_matte_na_5-20_z.jpg (14.0 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by aelfwyne; 12 Dec 2017 at 06:42 pm.
Old 31 Dec 2017, 02:18 pm
Young Cruiser

Few updates.

Got the "PT Salvage" titled and registered. Here's what's gone on since:

1) Got new wheels and tires. Cheap 16" rims from Discount Tire, with BFG Comp Sport 2. I think I have too much tire for the suspension now LOL...

2) The very next day after inspection the airbag light came on. It wasn't on constantly... but after a few more days of driving it is now on constantly. I know that none of the airbag hardware was wet - the interior of the car was dry and showed no signs of having been flooded or even recently cleaned. Most likely it's the passenger seat issues others have reported. I just hate going after things willy-nilly without being able to read the diagnostic ... How much do people typically have to pay the $tealer$hip to read airbag codes I wonder?

3) Swapped out the stock autostick knob, which had somehow in only 25000 miles gotten scratched to hell (ring-wearing owner?), with an 8-ball. Used the SickSpeed automatic adapter. The quality of the knob? Great. The adapter? Not liking it - feels like it could easily "stick" in place. But it looks/feels great! Raises the shifter height to a more reasonable one as well for a tall person like me. Stock shifter was a bit of a reach.

4) Did I BREAK SOMETHING? Don't know yet. Went for a spin yesterday, punched the gas in the rain and got some massive wheel hop... before I could register it mentally and let out, something went BANG!!! very loudly under the car. Afterward it SEEMS to drive fine, no vibrations, noise, shimmies or shakes. And no fluids. What did I break!!!???? With the upcoming cold snap it could be a while before I get a chance to get under the car and do a full inspection .... *SIGH*...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-12-27 16.56.40.jpg (82.9 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-12-27 16.56.57.jpg (82.9 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-12-27 16.57.16.jpg (85.9 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-12-30 15.51.13.jpg (51.8 KB, 152 views)
Carnut likes this.
Old 07 Feb 2018, 02:26 am
Young Cruiser

Cool PT. I dig the new shifter. Any more updates?
Old 07 Feb 2018, 01:45 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyle View Post
Cool PT. I dig the new shifter. Any more updates?
Not much. Installed a stereo (may post pics later).

Airbag light has stayed on... Really need to get that but not having a 2003 compatible scantool means I either have to blindly parts swap or pay a stealership to plug in and spend 30 seconds reading a code...

And this week the ABS light has lit.... same issue, can't read the *@*#&&# codes without a DRB-3 scantool.

It's possible those 2 things are flood related, but as the problems weren't there when I tested and inspected the car, but showed up later I suspect that it had more to do with the fact that the car was suddenly being driven much more than usual. It had only a few hundred miles in the year prior, and maybe only a thousand the year before that. I've put over 2000 miles on it in just about 6 weeks. So those old dusty parts are having to work for the first time in their lives!

Stage 1 is installed with the Mopar PCM and Injectors... but I'm getting pretty bad WOT hesitation. I'm guessing since it showed up with stage 1, that perhaps the injectors (which were used and cheap) may have needed reconditioned. ... hoping it's that and not something more complicated. I have a wideband but it hasn't been installed yet, since I wasn't doing any custom tuning yet.

Have new motor mounts and inserts also I need to install, since the first time it got wheel hop it pretty much destroyed the old rubber in the factory mounts.

Other than that it's fine ... been driving it a lot because the Abarth needs new tires and itself has developed an issue where the engine simply shuts off sometimes when it's not fully warmed up and it drops to idle too quickly -
such as if I clutch in while crawling through parking lot or come to a stoplight. And as you would expect, it throws no codes lol... not looking forward to trying to explain all the mods on THAT car the the dealer and try to retain warranty... so I haven't dealt with that yet. Have just been driving the PT instead.
Old 09 Mar 2018, 01:47 pm
Young Cruiser

Update:

Some of these things I mentioned above, but will include here for completeness.

Stage 1 PCM installed, it was giving hesitation issues as above. I replaced the used stage 1 injectors, thinking that could be the issue, but THEN discovered the #4 spark plug was barely sitting in the hole. Should have checked the effin plugs first, BEFORE spending $200 on new fuel injectors. Does someone need some used injectors?? I now have an extra set! ...

So, I did the plugs. Gap was OVER 50.... so I brought them down to a very tight 35 gap. Torqued them all down. Plugs were in nearly new condition so I did not replace them. Car was NOT hesitating when I picked it up, so the plug must have loosened up after I started driving it. My theory here is that after it was flooded, the insurance agent or someone else at the salvage lot pulled the plug to check for water. Finding none, I bet they simply ran the plug down by hand and didn't bother to torque it... then once I started driving it began to back itself out.

Now that the engine is running great, I slapped on the Diablosport 93 tune. I know with stage 1, the tune basically replaces it. But the shifts are definitely better with the stage 1 than it was without. Still not happy with the surge on the DS tune, it's a bit rough, and if the boost hits right as the trans is ready to shift (part throttle situation), is when it is strange.

With this much power, the lack of handling prowess is a major issue. Engine writes checks the suspension can't cash!

Christmas tree of lights. lol.. AIRBAG, TCS, ABS, BRAKE all lit up. Acquired a scan tool that supposedly will read those so I can have a starting point instead of blindly swapping parts. Could have been flood damaged sensors I suppose, even though they had no errors when I first got the vehicle. Will just have to chase it all down and see. Water did not get into any seats or airbags, did not enter the vehicle... so most likely just bad grounds or something.

Next step is to get the wideband / boost gauge installed. Guess I need to take out the downpipe for that.

So... that's the rambling update.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by aelfwyne; 09 Mar 2018 at 01:50 pm.