PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 GT - "PT Salvage"

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Mar 2018, 07:50 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 GT - "PT Salvage"

Plug gap is too close. Take them back out and re-gap them at .042.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 10 Mar 2018, 08:04 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelfwyne View Post
Few updates.

Got the "PT Salvage" titled and registered. Here's what's gone on since:

1) Got new wheels and tires. Cheap 16" rims from Discount Tire, with BFG Comp Sport 2. I think I have too much tire for the suspension now LOL...

2) The very next day after inspection the airbag light came on. It wasn't on constantly... but after a few more days of driving it is now on constantly. I know that none of the airbag hardware was wet - the interior of the car was dry and showed no signs of having been flooded or even recently cleaned. Most likely it's the passenger seat issues others have reported. I just hate going after things willy-nilly without being able to read the diagnostic ... How much do people typically have to pay the $tealer$hip to read airbag codes I wonder?

3) Swapped out the stock autostick knob, which had somehow in only 25000 miles gotten scratched to hell (ring-wearing owner?), with an 8-ball. Used the SickSpeed automatic adapter. The quality of the knob? Great. The adapter? Not liking it - feels like it could easily "stick" in place. But it looks/feels great! Raises the shifter height to a more reasonable one as well for a tall person like me. Stock shifter was a bit of a reach.

4) Did I BREAK SOMETHING? Don't know yet. Went for a spin yesterday, punched the gas in the rain and got some massive wheel hop... before I could register it mentally and let out, something went BANG!!! very loudly under the car. Afterward it SEEMS to drive fine, no vibrations, noise, shimmies or shakes. And no fluids. What did I break!!!???? With the upcoming cold snap it could be a while before I get a chance to get under the car and do a full inspection .... *SIGH*...

Your PT looks great but those Black Wheels are killing the overall look, too blasť, no contrast, Chromed is the way to go...JMHO
Chickn likes this.
Old 10 Mar 2018, 01:58 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Plug gap is too close. Take them back out and re-gap them at .042.
Lots of conflicting information about plug gap on these engines.

I have DS 93 tune on currently.

What are the negatives of too close in this case?
#1: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth in Rosso RED (MAD FIAT)
#2: 2003 PT Cruiser GT in Boring Beige

Last edited by aelfwyne; 10 Mar 2018 at 02:01 pm.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 08:28 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolero View Post
Your PT looks great but those Black Wheels are killing the overall look, too blasť, no contrast, Chromed is the way to go...JMHO
I actually kind of like the black, but I am partial to the GT rims. Mine are like Mykee's. I just live with them. I am a bit confused as to why he didn't just paint or plasti-dip the stockers. I also don't think you get as a good a tire selection with 16" rims. I thought everything had moved to 17" and mostly toward 18" by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelfwyne View Post
Lots of conflicting information about plug gap on these engines.

I have DS 93 tune on currently.

What are the negatives of too close in this case?
I guess it would make a difference at WOT, but when I finally changed my plugs the gap was so big I needed to double up on the feeler gauge blades to come close to a measurement. I think the tightest one was at .086. Changed them out with new properly gapped plugs and there was no discernible difference in how the car ran.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 03:35 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
I actually kind of like the black, but I am partial to the GT rims. Mine are like Mykee's. I just live with them. I am a bit confused as to why he didn't just paint or plasti-dip the stockers. I also don't think you get as a good a tire selection with 16" rims. I thought everything had moved to 17" and mostly toward 18" by now.
I didn't paint the stock 17" chrome clad, because they were peeling horribly. It would have taken quite a lot of time and effort to strip the peeling chrome back and refinish them. They were also leaking down most likely due to the peeling/corrosion. I have them sitting in case I ever feel like refinishing them.

As far as the choice from 16 to 17" - honestly the tire selection wasn't all that different. The main factor for me was cost, as I had paid only $900 for the car after taxes and fees, and wanted to get it on the road without going overboard on cost. The cost of the wheels was already hard to swallow as it wasn't a budgeted cost, but I figured since I lucked out with no interior water damage, ie, didn't have to buy new carpet/seats, I could go for wheels.
wwpptc and Carnut like this.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 06:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

No confusion about plug gap at all. Ask NitroPT or HandyCruiser what they set their turbo plug gap. Mine ran great at .042. Really, it's your choice and you can set them however you like. No judgement from me.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 14 Mar 2018, 06:39 pm
Young Cruiser

Spent the day farting around on the Salvage PT. Didn't fix a single one of the warning lights (!) which was obstensibly my goal.

Changed lower torque strut with new one including insert.

Changed both front headlight housings. Both were heavily weathered, one had busted mounts due to a previous owner fender bender.

Straightened out the driver side fender next to the headlight (where the fender and the bumper meet) using ghetto hammer, board and pliers. Sanded off the rusty spot where the paint had chipped on said fender bender (only rust on the entire car), and shot some touchup paint for a 10 foot fix.

Dug a crap-ton of leaves and dirt out of the fenders once I removed the liner. I recommend anyone remove the fender liners and clean behind them to prevent rust.

Working on filling license plate bracket holes. Waiting for putty to dry.

Checked wheel speed sensors. Passenger side sensor was touching the tone wheel and has physical wear because the bolt was loose. Driver side no wear and perfectly clean. Both throwing failure codes. Looks like I'll have to install new ones.

Also discovered that the transmission cooler lines are leaking just below the radiator. Only leak on the entire car.

Other than that incredibly clean underneath as expected for a 27,000 mile car.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-03-14 14.36.25.jpg (99.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-03-14 17.27.59.jpg (99.0 KB, 84 views)
Old 21 Apr 2018, 10:57 pm
Young Cruiser

Did a few things this weekend.

1) Changed oil. New filter much larger than old, went with 5w-40 synthetic.

2) Changed ingition switch (the electronic part)... I had ordered one part from RockAuto, it was used and dirty, so I ordered a SECOND one from a dealer on Amazon. Both turned out to be for MANUAL TRANS.. So I had to hunt down a third one in stock at an auto parts on the other side of town.

Car starts now without holding the switch "just right" and the AC / Turn Signals, etc don't randomly not work now.

Finally, did some performance testing with the Diablosport. Electronically reported boost is a little lower than I expected, spikes at 16 or so, then settles down on a pull much lower than that. It's not reporting any knock, which is good. Will wait until I can get around to getting the wideband bung installed to do any tweaking to the tune.

Finally, this is how she runs. I had to pedal first gear pretty significantly to keep it from spinning. Just letting it spin through first gear it makes about the same time. Not sure what it would do with actual traction.

Next plans for the Salvage PT are to change out the springs. I bought a set of Eibach lowering springs for a good price (they were open box).. Sadly the ebay vendor I bought shocks/struts from pulled a bait and switch. They were supposed to be a decent brand, but instead they sent something called "Maxorber"... I'm going to just stay with the existing shocks/struts currently. They're old but don't have a lot of miles.

At the same time I will be changing wheel speed sensors. The scantool claims that 3 out of the 4 sensors have all gone bad. Suspicious but might as well change them and see if that makes the ABS/TRAC/BRAKE lights go away.

Then the final step is to solve the airbag light, that will be a future job. The scantool I bought lied about the codes it returns, it gives nonsense codes for the SRS Airbag systems that don't seem to mean anything and they don't define them on their own website. So I have no idea what's wrong with the airbag system. NO IT IS NOT THE SEAT SENSOR.. Learned by ripping apart a seat on a junkyard that 2003 does not HAVE a seat sensor.

In other news, my other car, the MAD FIAT, had a pretty bad exhaust cam follower failure... needs minimum a new head.. might just swap in a low mile LKQ motor.

The joys never end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small-time.jpg (92.2 KB, 74 views)
Old 06 May 2018, 06:56 pm
Young Cruiser

Finally changed the wheel speed sensors. Indeed, 3 of the 4 where bad. Changed them out, and the ABS/Traction/Brake lights all went out. So either they broke also, or it fixed the problem (likely the latter not the former)..

That leaves changing the oil pressure sender (have yet to find an angle I can reach it), and then figure out what is causing the airbag light to be lit, and I'll have all the little annoying problems solved.
Old 12 May 2018, 02:19 am
Young Cruiser

Those headlights are sick! Where did you buy those?