PT Cruisers of S.E. Michigan

Like Tree56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Feb 2018, 05:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: PT Cruisers of S.E. Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtnos View Post
after talking to the wife, im contemplating getting a convertible pt gt ... mmmm
Drop Top.... yea baby, Jill and I love ours... as nice as riding the skooter. You will find a sweet heart like I did for the right price. Now is the time to start looking. Cragislist and look in Ohio even in the Cincy area.. we did.

I just scored a BRAND NEW replacement black top for my gal from fleabay. Having one as a spare is reassuring. Mopar list price = $3000......... I made an offer of $250 and the seller took it, total including USPS shipping was $330... hell of a deal. Still in the original Mopar box and is spotless and has the rear glass in-place. Stocking up on the hen's teeth hard to find parts now. Wooooo hooooo one happy guy.
svtnos likes this.

2002 PT 4 door Inferno Red
2008 PT Convertible Bright Silver

Last edited by My02RedRide; 13 Feb 2018 at 06:22 pm.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 06:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUZ View Post
Darrin, you already have a nice ride. You know how good your car runs
and how dependable it is. Maybe a nice set of wheels like Paul or Joel
would be nice. A really good wax job. The color of your car is very nice.
I know if my wheels needed to be replaced. I would buy the wheels they
have on there cars.
I am just sayin !
Doug
Come nice weather can have a get together and pull out my orbital polisher. You buy the polish and black foam pad and we can have at it. I do my car 2 times a summer with Maguire's polish then Mother's Synthetic polymer wax. Polish takes about an hour, wax another 1/2 hour. My 08 never had this done and when I finished looked like a silver mirror. Can't lean on the body without sliding off it....
Wheels are 16 inch x 7 inch 40mm offset Maxxim Ferris Black Wheel with Machined Face (16x7"/5x100mm) from Amazon. 16 inch give more sidewall than 17's ... tires are cheaper too... just saying. Had 17's on my Neon with 235/45-17 and after a couple potholes ... never again.

Last edited by My02RedRide; 13 Feb 2018 at 07:46 pm.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 10:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Smile Re: PT Cruisers of S.E. Michigan

PAUL, YOU SURE DID GET A GREAT DEAL ON THAT TOP !
Once people start seeing how cool these cars are. The price will start
going up on the cars and parts. You are right again Paul. Better start
getting those hard to find parts now.
THINK SPRING GUYS !
Old 14 Feb 2018, 03:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Went and looked at the third and final car in my search for a turbo today. I'm tired of be lied to by these guys. Not only did I see pictures of the car and it looked good he e-mailed me more pictures and the car still looked good. I spoke to him three times on the phone yesterday asking questions and then ended up driving about 60-65 miles round trip to see it.

The car drove out well, tracked true, the turbo surprised me because of how unimpressive it was. All the turbos I've had before would give you a moment of pause, turbo lag, then slam you back into the seat while you held on for dear life. The PT's is a strong, smooth pull that does move you back in the seat but just lacks that 'we're flying now' feeling.

The down side was the entire passenger side would have to be replace. the right rear quarter, was very badly shaped bondo, the front passenger door was the same on the lower right quarter of the door the right front fender would have to be replaced altogether as it was just bondo. The paint they had used was amazingly close to the Electric Blue the car was painted, so close that at 20 feet you could see nothing wrong with the car, however, at 10 feet and with each step thereafter. . .

The final deciding point was during the test drive we hit just a bit of rough road and there was a thump under the car. I at first thought watts link but as we pulled back into his place we drove over a low curb and this time you could feel something was loose and slammed into the floor underneath.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 06:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUZ View Post
PAUL, YOU SURE DID GET A GREAT DEAL ON THAT TOP !
Once people start seeing how cool these cars are. The price will start
going up on the cars and parts. You are right again Paul. Better start
getting those hard to find parts now.
THINK SPRING GUYS !
STAR parts online that part number listed for 3 grand retail and None Available in the warehouses..... Guys have been buying up old dealer stock and Lord knows what they paid.... Fleabay was make an offer... guy was asking a lowered price of $450. I said to Jill watch this.... here's my offer, $200, he countered $300, I countered $230, he countered $280 I final offer $250 and he accepted... big box was $79 shipping from Illinois.... still a bargain. Now in the basement sealed with a bunch of those moisture packets inside. If I don't use it in 5 years here's my price.....

Last edited by My02RedRide; 14 Feb 2018 at 06:25 pm.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 08:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Smile Re: PT Cruisers of S.E. Michigan

34 days till spring ! The sun was out today. Ruth, did you see my sun screen ?
Old 14 Feb 2018, 09:30 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3dgm View Post
Went and looked at the third and final car in my search for a turbo today. I'm tired of be lied to by these guys. Not only did I see pictures of the car and it looked good he e-mailed me more pictures and the car still looked good. I spoke to him three times on the phone yesterday asking questions and then ended up driving about 60-65 miles round trip to see it.

The car drove out well, tracked true, the turbo surprised me because of how unimpressive it was. All the turbos I've had before would give you a moment of pause, turbo lag, then slam you back into the seat while you held on for dear life. The PT's is a strong, smooth pull that does move you back in the seat but just lacks that 'we're flying now' feeling.

The down side was the entire passenger side would have to be replace. the right rear quarter, was very badly shaped bondo, the front passenger door was the same on the lower right quarter of the door the right front fender would have to be replaced altogether as it was just bondo. The paint they had used was amazingly close to the Electric Blue the car was painted, so close that at 20 feet you could see nothing wrong with the car, however, at 10 feet and with each step thereafter. . .

The final deciding point was during the test drive we hit just a bit of rough road and there was a thump under the car. I at first thought watts link but as we pulled back into his place we drove over a low curb and this time you could feel something was loose and slammed into the floor underneath.
If you're looking for that hard pull from a turbo PT, you're going to need to put a Stage 1 pcm in or get a Diablosport tuner. My 03 had stage 1 in it, there is no lag because the turbo is fairly small and spools quickly. On a 45 mph roll, I would downshift and bury the throttle and hold on because I was fighting the torque steer. That was a fun car.
svtnos likes this.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 11:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

LOL No I wasn't looking for a 'Fire Breather.' I was just saying that after looking at three cars and finally actually getting to take one for a ride I wasn't that impressed.

The first one I looked had an OK body, but, they couldn't get it to start, the second they could start with a jump box, but as soon as they took it off the engine died. The last one run fine, but, once again, was a bondo buggy.

Glad to see you're still around Duwayne! You know now that I think of it all three were '03 PT's. Maybe I should be looking at a different year?
Old 15 Feb 2018, 04:38 pm
Young Cruiser

Well the 03 had the lowest stock hp of the turbo with the exception of the turbo lites. I believe they had 205 hp. In 04, they changed to larger injectors and a different tune. The 03 GT also had issues with the radiator fan and that fan is specific to that year. Yeah, I'm still around here. Just not as often because it bums me out that I don't have a PT right now.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 08:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

The 03 Turbo was rated at 215 hp and I'm not entirely sure they made a lite model until 04. I checked back and the lite I looked at was an 04 not an 03.

I think I'd prefer a lite version. I don't find my N.A. slow, but, would just like a bit more horsepower.

Yes, I'm aware of the 03 fan problem.

Don't worry young man will get you in your next PT before you know it!