PT Cruiser Forum

6.9 earthquake about 5 minutes ago

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Apr 2010, 06:59 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Default 6.9 earthquake about 5 minutes ago

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to check in with all you guys out here on the west coast. We just rocked a pretty good earthquake bout 5 minutes ago. It was a 6.9 lasting about 40-45 seconds Here is a link to more info on it.

Recent Earthquakes - Info for event ci14607652

Anyways, were alright, just shook up a bit. Not sure on damage or anything yet here but we have Family down across the Border in Mexico who said they got hit hard. Streets, buildings, and so on evidently destroyed.

So anyways if you guys out here want to check in, or anyone want to check in you guys are more than welcome to. Just thought it was worth a post.

Go easy and I will catch ya later.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 04 Apr 2010, 07:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 6.9 earthquake about 5 minutes ago

Just saw it on CNN. They said southern California but the epicenter was actually in Mexico.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com

Last edited by CREWZIN; 04 Apr 2010 at 07:15 pm.
Old 04 Apr 2010, 07:32 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Yeah, my wifes grandma lives apparently around 20 miles or so from where the epicenter was. We called them and they said roads were all tore up, house had fallen, she had fa;;en as well and was injured so they were working on getting her help, and so on over their. And then all of my inlaws, and a bunch of friends live in a small town 10 miles east of El Centro CA, 39 miles from Yuma AZ, and about 14 miles from Mexicali BC right on the border which was fairly close to everything as well. That is about 200 miles for us and evidently it shook the entire LA area pretty well. Probably the third largest I have ever felt along side Northridge which was the worst, and the San Fransisco quake.

And they just had another 5.1 aftershock right within 3 miles from El Centro just a minute ago as well.

Somethin else

Go easy, and Ill update you if we get anymore stuff goin on around here.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Old 04 Apr 2010, 08:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Been watching it here on the US channels. Hope you guys are all alright down there.
Old 04 Apr 2010, 08:31 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Hey their guys,

Well, they just upgraded it to a 7.2. Were still getting aftershocks pretty regular. eve here. We have now had 15 aftershocks all around the are at 3.0 or higher not including the other 4.5, and 5.1 and 5.4 as well all within the last almost hour and a half. First time I have seen that many fair sized quakes that close to each other. Still watching the Cal Tech website to see them all stacking up. Here is the website again. if you want to track the earthquakes.

Recent Earthquakes - All Earthquake List for CA-NV

Dang man, I was looking up Northridge which was listed at a 6.7 so this was a bit bigger that that, but I recon deeper.

This was one of those though that ends to liquefy the ground making it look kinda look like waves as opposed to violent shaking.

So far so good on damage apparently. We will see how we go here.

Anyways, you guys go easy and I will keep you posted.

Old 04 Apr 2010, 08:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross

WEEEEEEEEEE! That was fun!

It was a pretty gentle roll over here but definitely noticeable and lasted bout half a minute.

Last edited by slayerdarkcross; 04 Apr 2010 at 09:00 pm.
Old 05 Apr 2010, 07:42 am
Cool Cruiser

...and of all things, going to SanFran on Thursday for a week. The last time I was there in '77, had a 3.6; do not want a repeat.
Old 05 Apr 2010, 12:32 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Good morning everyone,

Well, we are still getting a whole mess of 4.0ers and above including another 5.1 a couple hours ago. So were still shaking pretty well still.

My Wife was born in Mexicali, and we both grew up in a small town 14 miles north of the border in a small town called Holtville, and most all of my Wifes family, and many of our good friends live all over the area within just a few miles of the epicenter. In fact my good friend Steve who designed and built my spring kits day job is the Imperial County Building Inspector who I called about 15 minutes ago to see how they were doing.

the towns of El Centro, Brawley, Holtville, and Calexico which are all medium sized Towns except Holtville where I come from which is appro 5000 people, and are all situated within a 20 mile radius of each other all sustained structural damage to homes and businesses as well as infrastructure to many roads which buckled all the way across, and water and natural gas leaks. Calexico which is a border town has a couple of street which extent about 8 miles along the US/Mexico Border which are all retail merchants which sustained significant damage both structural, and all of the glass is broken all the way down. If you saw CNN for a while yesterday, they had footage from El Centro, Brawley, and Calexico of some of the early known damage, as well as their were several callers that phoned in from Yuma Arizona which is 40 miles east of there to give you a bit better orientation.

The worst hit was my Wifes 92 year old Grandma who has lived an a ranch appro 4 miles from the actual epicenter south of the city of Mexicali
on the Mexico side. Granted their infrastructure, and lack of proper building codes put them in a position much like Haiti was, but her entire house, along with all four of her childrens houses have now been confirmed as having been leveled. All of the roadways around the area have been buckled to the point of not being accessible by vehicle at this point. She apparently fell and broke her hip, and leg in the process and they had to carry her 4 miles by hand to a road where they could get her into a pickup to take her to the hospital in Mexicali.

Evidently, much of the City of Mexicali has also sustained a great deal of damage as well, so things are a pretty good mess for sure right now.

To give you a good idea of the sheer power of energy released, I live 220 miles northeast of El Centro, and according to the exact time of the recorded event, it took approximately 36 seconds to travel the 220 miles from Mexicaly to here, and shook the entire roughly 130 mile radios of greater Los Angeles harder than we have been rocked in more than 20 years. In fact the big Northridge Quake which was one of the biggest and most violent quakes I have ever been in was a 6.7 which caused major damage to the area., and altered the course of thousands of lives in an instant.

In case you haven't seen any of the vids on TV, or online as of yet, here is a Link which has complied several from right around the area. We felt basically the same thing the girl in the first video felt here where we live. Anyways....

Baja California Earthquake: YouTube Videos

Anyways, that's all the excitement so far this morning. I will keep on updating you guys here if we get more, or what not.

Also Garner: I would say you should be out of this stuff that far north, but you never know for sure as they did have a mild one that got triggered by the big one hit the region yesterday as well though it was only a 4.0er which were all pretty much used to out here, but still. Hopefully you should be ok, and out of harms way throughout your trip to the Bay area.

Anyways, you Guys go easy, and I'll let you know if anything else happens.

Candyman

Old 05 Apr 2010, 12:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Candyman, thanks for keeping us updated on the happenings. How is Grandma doing and did she get prompt treatment at the hospital?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 05 Apr 2010, 01:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Glad you guys are ok, sorry about grandma candyman but it sounds like at 94 she is a tough old bird so hopefully she will be ok.

So what is going on, their sure seems to be some active faults of late. I'm a skeptical bastard but it always makes me think of 2012 when I hear about another earth quake.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson