PT Cruiser Forum  
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Non-PT Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

smart phone MADE IN USA!

 
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jrbsr05pt

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12 Sep 2013, 11:14 am
rob342's Avatar
Dedicated Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: darien il
Posts: 2,610
Thumbs up smart phone MADE IN USA!

now.. i hate that everything here is made in china. whenever possible, i absolutely refuse to buy anything labeled made in china. i spent a year looking for a spatula that did not say china on it, and in the end, i gave up and bought one from an antique shop. the only 2 things i've purchased in the last 5 years that say china are my iphone and my laptop. now i can get rid of the iphone.

they finally started making a phone in this country, the Moto-X. sweet. i want it.

the complex parts are mostly made in japan, taiwan, and korea, but the assembly is done in texas. google/motorola is manufacturing it here, creating 2000 jobs. forbes says this will add $60,000,000 to our economy this year. they say it costs $8 to assemble an iphone in china, $12 to assemble a moto-X here. a measly extra $4 per phone to ship our manufacturing jobs to china? i should run for office, i could offset that with a $5 per phone "made in china" tax.

better battery life, better camera, better screen, pretty much better everything. honestly though, i think the review in that link is biased. but even if it was a crappy phone(which it isn't), i'd still rather have it just for the fact it is made here instead of there.

just thought i'd share this for any like minded people, or anyone ready to get a new phone.

you can click the link on this page to see the inside of the factory using google streetview: Made in the USA: Moto X manufacturing facility opens its doors on Google Street View | TechHive

i'm headed to verizon after work to see how much it'll run me.
__________________
2002 PT 5spd / 52mm TB
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12 Sep 2013, 12:41 pm
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 3,731
Lightbulb Re: smart phone MADE IN USA!

Really

You know they sell things online.

I did a quick search: Spatula, made in USA

Came up with a few:

Amazon.com: Rada Cutlery Serving Spatula, Made in USA, Aluminum Handle (R114): Kitchen & Dining

Usa Made Spatula at Lehman's


And how did you know that the spatula at the antique store wasnt made in china?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12 Sep 2013, 01:06 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 86
Send a message via AIM to BillsCruiser
Default Re: smart phone MADE IN USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
now.. i hate that everything here is made in china. whenever possible, i absolutely refuse to buy anything labeled made in china. i spent a year looking for a spatula that did not say china on it, and in the end, i gave up and bought one from an antique shop. the only 2 things i've purchased in the last 5 years that say china are my iphone and my laptop. now i can get rid of the iphone.

they finally started making a phone in this country, the Moto-X. sweet. i want it.

the complex parts are mostly made in japan, taiwan, and korea, but the assembly is done in texas. google/motorola is manufacturing it here, creating 2000 jobs. forbes says this will add $60,000,000 to our economy this year. they say it costs $8 to assemble an iphone in china, $12 to assemble a moto-X here. a measly extra $4 per phone to ship our manufacturing jobs to china? i should run for office, i could offset that with a $5 per phone "made in china" tax.

better battery life, better camera, better screen, pretty much better everything. honestly though, i think the review in that link is biased. but even if it was a crappy phone(which it isn't), i'd still rather have it just for the fact it is made here instead of there.

just thought i'd share this for any like minded people, or anyone ready to get a new phone.

you can click the link on this page to see the inside of the factory using google streetview: Made in the USA: Moto X manufacturing facility opens its doors on Google Street View | TechHive

i'm headed to verizon after work to see how much it'll run me.
^^^^^
Probably all typed out on a "Made In China" computer keyboard.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12 Sep 2013, 01:40 pm
rob342's Avatar
Dedicated Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: darien il
Posts: 2,610
Default Re: smart phone MADE IN USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsCruiser View Post
^^^^^
Probably all typed out on a "Made In China" computer keyboard.
yup. i said that right at the top though. laptop and phone. it is one of the finest keyboards china has to offer.



to the best of my knowledge there are no reasonably priced, high end, USA made laptops available here capable of doing what i need. hopefully someday that will change as well. lenovo makes laptops here, but they are not even in the ballpark to do what this one does.

busa, nice find one the spatula. i ended up with a "Popeil Flipper". i use it to make breakfast every morning
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2396.jpg (90.9 KB, 28 views)
__________________
2002 PT 5spd / 52mm TB
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12 Sep 2013, 03:12 pm
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NW NJ
Posts: 11,420
Default Re: smart phone MADE IN USA!

I tell people that the last things made in the USA were my kids....
__________________
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12 Sep 2013, 06:45 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 9,375
Default Re: smart phone MADE IN USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
I tell people that the last things made in the USA were my kids....
Better be careful. Busa will be saying, are you sure?
__________________

03 Dream stock
04 Touring turbo lite stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12 Sep 2013, 08:45 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 86
Send a message via AIM to BillsCruiser
Default Re: smart phone MADE IN USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
I tell people that the last things made in the USA were my kids....
My next door neighbor is retired Navy pilot...tells me both his kids were made in Japan.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12 Sep 2013, 09:59 pm
randyincctx's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Corpus Christi,Tx.
Posts: 3,485
Wink Re: smart phone MADE IN USA!

Sad fact: "Even most American flags used by Americans,are made in China!".....Not ANY of the flags I have flown @ my house!.....I have always purchased U.S. flags made by Annin & Co.;They have been making them for nearly 160 years.
"The world's largest and oldest flag company, Annin & Co. and its 500 employees produce literally miles of stripes and a multitude of stars that go into 15 million U.S. flags a year. All are made in the U.S.A.—at manufacturing plants in Verona, N.J. (pop. 13,533), South Boston, Va. (pop, 8,491), and Coshocton, Ohio (pop. 11,682).".....So,next time your buying a U.S. Flag buy Annin & Co.
Do You Know Where Your American Flag Was Made? | The Scoop - Investigative Reporting
__________________
2003 PT Cruiser (Base-N/A) Patriot Blue Pearl Purchased @ Police Impound Auction for $1,000.
Aka:~KILLER~
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 19 Sep 2013, 03:56 pm
jrbsr05pt's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Columbus, Oh
Posts: 485
Default Re: smart phone MADE IN USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
yup. i said that right at the top though. laptop and phone. it is one of the finest keyboards china has to offer.



to the best of my knowledge there are no reasonably priced, high end, USA made laptops available here capable of doing what i need. hopefully someday that will change as well. lenovo makes laptops here, but they are not even in the ballpark to do what this one does.

busa, nice find one the spatula. i ended up with a "Popeil Flipper". i use it to make breakfast every morning
which one is that???? I just bought a new m14. freaking love it!!!
rob342 likes this.
__________________
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white leds under dash and back seats, wall with 6 10" mtx subwoofer behind back seat, blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. Tinted tails and backup lights. Power antenna.

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. intune sold for other things

Last edited by jrbsr05pt; 19 Sep 2013 at 03:58 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 19 Sep 2013, 06:48 pm
rob342's Avatar
Dedicated Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: darien il
Posts: 2,610
Default Re: smart phone MADE IN USA!

It's the 17". It was the display model. When the tech reinstalled windows to make it saleable, he installed the drivers out of order so the keyboard didn't light up, it said this copy of "windows is not genuine", and there were a bunch of errors on startup. It came with the disks so I installed everything correctly and now everything works perfectly and I paid half price.

Stick an SSD in there and it'll be even faster. Mine was. I also found a modified bios on notebookreview.com that makes overclocking easy. That made a noticeable difference too. You should definately look that up for yours. If the fans are loud, change the thermal paste on the video cards and processor. They have tutorials on that. I guess dell uses cheap grease and not enough of it. I put arctic silver on mine and I never hear the fans anymore unless I'm working with a huge file in Coreldraw. Look up stealth mode indicator icon too, if you hit the speedometer looking button by accident it makes your computer slow. What else.. they have a winamp plugin that makes the keyboard flash to the beat different colors like a rave. lol Let me know what you do and let me know if you find something I missed. I'm no expert.
__________________
2002 PT 5spd / 52mm TB
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smart Phone Application number1clozr Feedback and Support 3 22 Aug 2013 01:40 pm
HOW DO I MAKE MY STOCK STEREO I POD OR SMART PHONE COMPATIBLE? Busted_PT Sound and Security Forum 68 13 Aug 2013 04:31 pm
How to convert DVD to iPod/iPhone/Sansa/PSP/Zune/iRiver/Google Phone/Cell Phone, etc. alsothank General PT Cruiser Discussions 0 11 Feb 2011 06:07 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors