keep water from running under garage door

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342
  • 1 Post By ptprice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Sep 2013, 09:10 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default keep water from running under garage door

does anyone have any ideas how to keep water from running under this door? something that is permanent and looks decent? i don't really know what to do. if it trickles in that's fine, our little 6" drain inside can take care of that. raising the floor isn't an option, i can barely get customers vehicles in here now.

if you look in the first picture, you can see the dirt line about 6" up on the door. Our problem is when the sewers on the street can't keep up, the water runs down the parking lot into the drain by our door. when the drain outside our door can't keep up, water runs under the door and floods our shop.

it's no fun working all day and then coming back to deal with this. i worked 10 hours yesterday and then came back to work at 9pm to clean this up. on the bright side, after the water gets about 5" deep, i can open the back door and the water drains into the alley. this used to only happen maybe once every 5 years, but it has already happened once last fall and twice this summer.

any ideas, or anyone dealt with a similar problem?

edit: maybe use something like this?? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tsunami-S...1#.UjsSgk1Wi6c
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2440.jpg (91.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (99.6 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by rob342; 19 Sep 2013 at 10:14 am.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 12:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: keep water from running under garage door

Looks like an incline as well. Maybe something like camper top foam tape stuck to the bottom of the door. Anyway something that's flexible but doesn't soak up water. A door company may have some ideas of a product for that.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 19 Sep 2013 at 05:34 pm.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 04:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: keep water from running under garage door

Tsunami Seal 10 ft. Gray Garage Door Threshold Kit-51010 at The Home Depot That will definately help,but I would also add (or replace) this also: MD Building Products 1-5/8 in. x 18 ft. Aluminum and Vinyl Garage Door Bottom-87668 at The Home Depot That way you will have the top & bottom joining together to help seal the door.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 05:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i talked with someone selling the door rubber on ebay, they have a premuim seal that is .058 made out of a better synthetic rubber material and advised me i can stiffen it up more by inserting a section of garden hose as an insert.

the stuff on the door now is all misshapen and only measures .032..

i'll get that bottom strip for sure though. that seems to be the key to solving my problem.
randyincctx likes this.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 06:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: keep water from running under garage door

From the wide view of the front of the building it is obvious that the Tsunami seal isn't going to fix your problem.
It may help very little, as there is no way to make that seal the side edges of the garage door; nor the front door.

You have a big time drainage problem!
If I were to be looking at a much wider view, is there any where left or right in that picture where the ground level is lower than the lowest point near your front door?
Maybe the ground slants off around the corner of the garage doors on the right.

What you need is a French Drain in that lowest area, draining off to a lower elevation, or maybe even to the drain pipe that you already have "IN" the garage floor.
You would have to cut concrete with a saw. Then lay a metal or heavy duty plastic drain cover, and heavy PVC pipe to the drainage area.

Products similar to his can be gotten at Home Depot or Lowes.
Or, the local plumbing supply house will have metal grates.
Solve Simple Lawn Drainage Problems
Drain Grates - Accessories - Pipes, Fittings & Valves - Plumbing*at The Home Depot
http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Pi...es-Drain-These are several of the parts that I have used with 4 inch PVC.

For some DITY hints...
DIY Water Drainage Solutions - NDSpro.com

I had that problem in the back patio of the house, with a few times a year heavy rains coming to the edge of the back patio door. Thank GOD I only had to cut a little sidewalk.

2010 Dodge Challenger SE as my day-driver.
2005 "Limited", Stage 1 Turbo Lite, the "Cowboy Cruiser".

Have now owned 5 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 20 Sep 2013, 07:06 am
Veteran Cruiser

There is a sewer 4' in front of the door and I'd guess the grate is 6-8" lower than the door. I rent this place, so there is no option to dig anything. I don't care if water squirts in at the door corners, I just am trying to keep the deep stuff outside long enough for the sewer to catch up with Mother Nature. The little door isn't a problem.
Old 20 Sep 2013, 12:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: keep water from running under garage door

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
There is a sewer 4' in front of the door and I'd guess the grate is 6-8" lower than the door. I rent this place, so there is no option to dig anything. I don't care if water squirts in at the door corners, I just am trying to keep the deep stuff outside long enough for the sewer to catch up with Mother Nature. The little door isn't a problem.
Too bad the owner isn't interested.
Because, this is obviously wetting the wall board in the garage area several times a year.
This means mold, and destroyed wall board.
Their loss!

2010 Dodge Challenger SE as my day-driver.
2005 "Limited", Stage 1 Turbo Lite, the "Cowboy Cruiser".

Have now owned 5 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 20 Sep 2013, 12:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Too bad the owner isn't interested.
Because, this is obviously wetting the wall board in the garage area several times a year.
This means mold, and destroyed wall board.
Their loss!
it's all cinderblock, wall to wall. owner doesn't really care much about this building. he was buying everything on the block to knock it all down and build luxury condos, but the economy screwed the plan up. heck now i've made him some signs for condos that are being cut in half and made back into apartments. after the housing bubble, he said we can likely stay in here forever. we made them redo the area above the door a few weeks ago. he's a nice guy but i dont want to push my luck asking for stuff. commercial property taxes are high here and i believe that's about what our rent covers. taxes, plowing, etc.
Old 20 Sep 2013, 03:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Understanding your limitations of stopping water coming into your garage from the pictures and your descriptions. In reference to your short term solution, that you could with effort get the water out the back of your garage. I'd suggest you check with your local Sears store. They carry a "SURFACE SUMP PUMP" for $67.08 that probably can be set sensitive enough to come on with any water coming into your garage. This might suffice enough to pump the standing water out the back of your garage before it gets to be a problem. A second suggestion is looking into a rubber threshold high enough to prevent water incursion until the outside drain kicks in. This rubber threshold would still allow entrance into your garage instead of or in conjunction with a rubber door bottom. Hope these suggestions help.ptprice
rob342 likes this.
Old 20 Sep 2013, 04:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
Understanding your limitations of stopping water coming into your garage from the pictures and your descriptions. In reference to your short term solution, that you could with effort get the water out the back of your garage. I'd suggest you check with your local Sears store. They carry a "SURFACE SUMP PUMP" for $67.08 that probably can be set sensitive enough to come on with any water coming into your garage. This might suffice enough to pump the standing water out the back of your garage before it gets to be a problem. A second suggestion is looking into a rubber threshold high enough to prevent water incursion until the outside drain kicks in. This rubber threshold would still allow entrance into your garage instead of or in conjunction with a rubber door bottom. Hope these suggestions help.ptprice
i will look that pump up for sure. i think between the flow of the water entering the door being slowed by a glued-to-floor threshold, new door rubber, and the pump sitting at the lowest point of the shop, i would have a solution that would save us many headaches and a total price well under $200.