PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0344 Code for the umpteenth time

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2016, 04:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default P0344 Code for the umpteenth time

So my wife bought this stupid car a couple years ago and it has done ok until about 6 months ago. About 6 months ago I got a P0344 code so we replaced the camshaft sensor. Worked fine for about 4 months and then the code came back on. This go around I have replaced the camshaft sensor 3 times, crankshaft sensor (I could stab the guy that put that under the starter), and made sure that the camshaft magnet was tightened down (it was a little loose). My wife drove the car to work today and the stupid light came back on. Does anyone have any ideas. I am about ready to catch the car on fire but I figure that I will give this a shot first. Thanks for any thoughts that you might have.
Old 10 Jan 2016, 04:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0344 Code for the umpteenth time

P0344 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent Conditions

Possible Causes:

Wiring harness fault 5 volt supply circuit open or shorted to ground
Tone wheel/pulse ring is damaged or corroded
Camshaft Sensor has failed
Camshaft Sensor signal circuit is open, shorted to ground or battery voltage or 5 volt supply
Camshaft Sensor ground circuit is open
PCM has failed

What year is your PT Cruiser?
What brand Camshaft sensor did you get?
Did you check the wires going to the camshaft sensor?
Did you use a torque wrench when you tighten the target magnet? The target magnet is very easy to crack and there has been warnings about over tightening it.

I would suggest you introduce yourself to the forum and tell us a little about your PT Cruiser.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 10 Jan 2016 at 05:18 pm.
Old 10 Jan 2016, 04:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Was it the stupid wife who bought the car or the wife who bought the stupid car. Guess it depends on the way you look at it.

Where are you buying your replacement sensors? Some say, if you buy them from anywhere but the dealer, it's pot luck if they work or not. Read this....

p0344 error, cam position sensor, Mopar parts
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 10 Jan 2016, 05:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry. I guess that info is pretty important. It is a 2005 Non-Turbo. I have been buying the part from AutoZone. They have a lifetime warranty so it is nice that they are free now. I tightened the magnet by hand and stopped when it started giving any real resistance. It is a Duralast part that I put in it the last 5 times.
Old 10 Jan 2016, 07:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfredlarry View Post
Sorry. I guess that info is pretty important. It is a 2005 Non-Turbo. I have been buying the part from AutoZone. They have a lifetime warranty so it is nice that they are free now. I tightened the magnet by hand and stopped when it started giving any real resistance. It is a Duralast part that I put in it the last 5 times.
When I replaced my camshaft sensor only once on both of my Pt Cruisers I replace them with Mopar brand at around 70,000 miles around 2 years ago.

I have not experienced what you are going through but there are other members complaining about the aftermarket camshaft sensors and some of them say they could not believe that the Mopar sensor would be that much different than the after market. But some said that now they know why it is important to spend the extra bucks. They find out that the sensor and magnet compartment is ported to the cylinder head and when motor oil travels through the sensor port the cheap after market sensor stops reading the magnet. Some other members claim it is the wiring or wiring connector. Some members even take out the camshaft sensor gasket on the aftermarket sensors to get it closer to the target magnet and claims that it works better. Maybe some of the other members can post their experience with aftermarket sensors.

I would suggest double checking the wiring going to the camshaft sensor and make sure its not touching ground or has any bare spots on it.

You might want to do some homework on this because now members are saying that the Mopar Camshaft Sensors are being made from some other manufacture after I had bought the camshaft sensors from the dealer and some members claim that most of the time its not the camshaft sensor but the wiring going to it or a bad connector.

Did you check the target magnet for cracks? If the target magnet was loose its possible it was removed at one time and we don't know if the person who took it out knew the warning about over tightening the target magnet. A few members have posted that when they loosened up the target magnet it didn't trigger the P0344 as much.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 10 Jan 2016 at 07:48 pm.
Old 10 Jan 2016, 07:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Did you clean the surface of the magnet. I was getting the same code and replaced the magnet and sensor, then i noticed the sensor I removed had a build up of very fine metal (dust like) build up on the surface of the magnet in alignment with the little metal bars that are in the magnet that may have been causing the error code.
Sometimes the light would go out for a few trips , there was no other symptoms, it ran great even with the light on.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 10 Jan 2016, 08:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok. Great. I will try both of those. I found a guide for how to test the wiring with a multimeter online. Does anyone know how hard it is to replace the entire wiring from the computer to the sensor?
Old 10 Jan 2016, 08:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfredlarry View Post
Ok. Great. I will try both of those. I found a guide for how to test the wiring with a multimeter online. Does anyone know how hard it is to replace the entire wiring from the computer to the sensor?
I would get a MOPAR camshaft sensor and magnet and install those, following the torque specs for both, before replacing any wiring.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
147k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 10 Jan 2016, 08:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I replaced with the MOPAR sensor from the Stealership two years ago, and haven't had a peep out of it since. $98 seemed like a lot at the time, but I'm glad I spent it now...
Old 11 Jan 2016, 07:35 am
Veteran Cruiser

I used to work for Autozone, so I can say this in all confidence. NEVER, NEVER, EVER buy electrical parts from them. They usually get the rejects from the manufacturers that are borderline good anyway. Back when I worked for them, they even wanted us to put GP Sorensen parts into Wells boxes since they were changing vendors. I refused to take part and blew the whistle on them to the State Attorney General. Two days later, they had a massive recall nationwide! I would never buy a sensor at the Zone, Advance or O'Reilly. Dealer only.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie