Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest PT Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
No turn signals. Fuse Blows when Hazards turned off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 May 2014, 07:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default No turn signals. Fuse Blows when Hazards turned off

I have been fighting this for almost all week, and am just not getting anywhere. I have an 04 PT, and awhile back I installed a tow hitch. With the tow hitch came an electronic interface supposedly designed to reduce the draw on the individual taillight circuits. I had it, so I installed it.
Last week, I had a situation where suddenly the dash lights went out, and next thing I know, no tail lights. After about a day and a half of searching I go to the tail lights to check connections, and find this thing burned beyond recognition. Well that explains what happened!!
I removed all traces of it, and put the tail lights back together. Still no tail lights. i did some more trouble shooting and managed to get the cluster lights working again.
I decided that the burning of the interface probably caused a wire to melt somewhere and short to ground, but I just can't find it. I even used a short tracer. It identified a spot where it thought the short was, and nothing!!!

What happens now is that with the hazard button depressed, I can replace the fuse and flasher and nothing happens. When I push the hazards button, the flasher buzzes for a second, and blows the fuse. Obviously a short somewhere, but where? I even went so far as to replace the MFS, with no satisfaction.

Hellllpppppp!
Old 15 May 2014, 08:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: No turn signals. Fuse Blows when Hazards turned off

You should thoroughly check over the connectors & wiring to the MFS & fuse panel.
Pull the fuse panel,and look at the wiring from the backside....Look for any signs of 'burnt' wiring/insulation or connectors(signs of overheating).
Viewing the fuse block from the backside:
Back of fuse panel showing signs of burnt/melted wiring:

MFS with burnt/melted connector & wiring: