PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest PT Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Does replacing parts ever stop with these cars?

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Dec 2014, 10:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Does replacing parts ever stop with these cars?

I think they confused the perfect man with the mechanic. I agree that you need to give only the symptoms you know and how much fluid your putting in,work done, and so on. Don't mention the other opinions to cloud the process. You know It sounds like a fan working sometimes and sometimes not. Just a guess.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 25 Dec 2014 at 10:24 am.
Old 25 Dec 2014, 11:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snettles View Post
Got car back from Chrysler Tuesday they said I needed to have the head gasket checked could just be a haircrack or they could need replaced, they do not know until they get into it. They did a block test they said or they are still going by diagnostics from previous owner. When I drive my car about .3 miles the temperature goes up then comes right back down, I park start car back up immediately it goes to red comes back down then stays in middle, stop start up again does the same thing. I have topped off all fluids and it is not using anymore than normal. Do you think this diagnosis could be right. I am taking it to another shop for another opinion.
Does the coolant temperature go up at highway speeds also or just city driving?
Does the coolant temperature go up with the air conditioning on?
When the temperature does go up is the coolant level in the coolant overflow tank going up a little or close to the top of the overflow tank?
Did they give you paperwork that says they did a chemical block test? Did you give them a written request to do a chemical block test? If its all verbal then we are still need to know what the result of this test is before going much further.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 25 Dec 2014 at 12:55 pm. Reason: More questions
Old 25 Dec 2014, 01:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
In my experience, at least in the area where I live (Dallas/Ft. Worth), it may be different in more rural areas, but most shops charge a "diagnostic fee" of some kind, but most will also then apply that fee towards any repairs. That's why I try to find out as much as I can to narrow down what may be the problem, before going anywhere, so that I can give them an idea of what to look at. Along with my UltraGauge which can detect engine codes, I also have an OBDII module plugged into the port all the time so that I can run a diagnostic scan at anytime through my smartphone. But I have to learn to be careful with that as it recently detected a code, that my PT has experienced before, in an area that my dealer has worked, so I thought that it would be a good indication that something was wrong so it should be covered under their warranty for that previous work. But when I took it to the dealer and they had it hooked up to their test equipment for a couple of hours with no problems showing. When I picked up my PT, they didn't charge me for any diagnostic and they easily could have charged me a fee for use of their tech and equipment and I would have been obligated to pay it. My PT has not thrown that code since. I have to start learning not to jump at evey little glitch that the scan tool may detect, but just keep a record of it and until the "check engine" light comes on telling me there may be a real problem, I'm just going to continue to drive my PT! One instance of where a dealership did charge me an extra fee, above what work they were doing, was when I had to have the oil pressure switch replaced, "check engine" light did come on for that failure. But the dealership recommended to have an oil pump pressure test done. They did it and confirmed that the oil pump is producing plenty of pressure, at idle and under load, on my PT, so in my mind, that was money well spent!
I'm not saying all dealers are thieves - just nearly all the ones I know of....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Dec 2014, 01:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snettles View Post
Got car back from Chrysler Tuesday they said I needed to have the head gasket checked could just be a haircrack or they could need replaced, they do not know until they get into it. They did a block test they said or they are still going by diagnostics from previous owner. When I drive my car about .3 miles the temperature goes up then comes right back down, I park start car back up immediately it goes to red comes back down then stays in middle, stop start up again does the same thing. I have topped off all fluids and it is not using anymore than normal. Do you think this diagnosis could be right. I am taking it to another shop for another opinion.
They gave it back, unfixed, with only a vague guess at what it might be?
GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.
Do not confuse new mechanic with what Chrysler said - just describe the symptoms.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Dec 2014, 09:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Unhappy Re: Does replacing parts ever stop with these cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
rckstein and Soonercruiser -
My dealer won't even begin to look at car unless I pay a $100 "diagnostic fee". For that, they will tell me what they think is wrong, but not fix anything - that is more, and above what a competent mechanic charges.
Sorry to hear that Don.
As I said, the first thing that I did was hunt for a 5-Star dealer.

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 26 Dec 2014, 01:35 am
Regular Cruiser

From what was said about the problem at the outset I do not see how a car can sit for two hours and then trigger the hot alarm etc. in just 25 feet of driving. You also said the radiator does not appear hot when this happens. All this information makes me think you may have a coolant sensor type issue.

Even if you have a blown head gasket how can the system go to full hot in 25 feet of driving? Am I missing something here? In my mind this is not adding up to a blown head gasket issue.
Old 26 Dec 2014, 09:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDNPT View Post
From what was said about the problem at the outset I do not see how a car can sit for two hours and then trigger the hot alarm etc. in just 25 feet of driving. You also said the radiator does not appear hot when this happens. All this information makes me think you may have a coolant sensor type issue.

Even if you have a blown head gasket how can the system go to full hot in 25 feet of driving? Am I missing something here? In my mind this is not adding up to a blown head gasket issue.
I agree on the head gasket. But wonder about maybe being a pcm malfunction. A $169.00 fix if that is a problem.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Dec 2014, 11:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well the new news on my temperature guage issue is... I am waiting to take car in for another opinion after the holidays so I thought I'll just do a few things while I'm waiting, so I checked the battery to see how old it was and found that someone put a battery the size of a tractor or motorcycle battery in it . Went down got another one that fits, also replaced the air filter it was very dirty. On changing these two things my temperature guage no longer goes past half, stays around cold to 1/4 Crazy is what I say! I am taking it for a longer drive to see what happens, wish me luck. Thanks everyone.
Old 31 Dec 2014, 05:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Welcome. This forum has a lot of very knowledgeable members ,but like most forums have members who are would be stand up comics , and others with very thin skins. If you can tolerate the latter 2 groups, you will be able to obtain answers to almost any question.
dougs likes this.
Old 31 Dec 2014, 09:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Cars need parts. that's why you see few cars 15 years old, and very few that are 20.
And it doesn't matter the brand, there's practically no 1993's of any type anymore
Here in L.A. there are still hundreds of the 92-96 Toyota Camrys on the road...seems like you can't drive a quarter mile without seeing three or four...