PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest PT Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Does replacing parts ever stop with these cars?

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Dec 2014, 11:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Does replacing parts ever stop with these cars?

I just purchased a 2004 gt platnuim series from a used car lot , a day in the cars temperature guage went to hot alarm went off and then went back down again. Drove it to the store the other day came out of store after a couple hours started it up drove 25 feet and went into hot with alarm again. Checked radiator each time and was not hot. I took it to a shop and they checked it out and replaced water pump and timing belt v belt, found two struts that needed replaced, flushed system cost 1800.00. Still guage is going to hot with alarm have it in Chrysler and they said need head gaskets and need to send out to see if Pistons are warped another 2900.00. Hard to believe all this needs done when car is not getting hot and has 84000 miles , what do you think. And do you know a good place to take it to be sure before spending this kind of money.
Old 22 Dec 2014, 11:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Does replacing parts ever stop with these cars?

Didn't you start an identical thread to this one earlier? Here's a link:

I need help temperature guage ?

But I see we are now talking about your frustrations, so let's run with that.

Most on this forum are PT Cruiser enthusiasts so they will not take too kindly to talking negatively about the PT design. But in truth, the car has several inherent flaws and some individual PT's seem to be gems while others are lemons. But here's the cold hard truth. You are the one that bought a car with an existing overheating and/or similar problem. You can blame the seller for not telling you about the issue, but you can't just blame the car. And all PT Cruisers along with many other models of cars need the timing belt changed as the car approaches 100K. That one should have been common knowledge. On the struts, I haven't heard of struts going bad that quickly. You may have just got took for extra work on that one or the previous owner may have driven rough roads. I don't know.

Here's the good new. Once the immediate issues and the inherent flaws are remedies, these little funny looking cars appears to last for a very long time. Also, it helps to start turning the wrench yourself if you want to drive any American car over ten years old. And that Platinum Edition cruiser is a very nice and unique car, so at least it's worth the effort.
mityqwik likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 23 Dec 2014 at 12:04 am.
Old 23 Dec 2014, 12:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'm not bashing anyone or any cruiser I had a 2007 a few years ago and it was fine, I am a women and need to have help with problems I'm having a hard time trusting anyone to work on it and tell me the truth, I cannot be the only one having this particular problem and am looking for anyone who has. I love my pt and would love to drive her, so don't take me wrong . I just don't have the money to keep dropping thousands at a time sorry you took it wrong.
Old 23 Dec 2014, 12:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Here in Arkansas there is a 30-day lemon law. This means that if purchased from a licensed dealer, you can return the car for a full refund within thirty days. If you bought from a used car dealer, you might check into that where you live. I think the period is longer in some states.

Also, you likely need to find another shop or mechanic. Sounds like you are being taken advantage of. Everything you report the shop did was general maintenance and likely did not address the issue of the temperature. I recommend not letting anyone do anything else to the car except fix the problem at hand. And I can't believe they didn't at least check the temp sensor too or confirm/rule out the earlier-reported "cracked head".

You really need to find a trustworthy mechanic. I wish there was more of a way we could help.
boonie2 likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 23 Dec 2014 at 12:26 am.
Old 23 Dec 2014, 12:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for your thoughts I am in oregon and we have no lemon law for used cars, they are all sold as is. I do not want to get rid of the car I'm just searching for ideas. Thank you all
Old 23 Dec 2014, 12:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Did the mechanic at the stealership tell you that they did a block test?
One thing I don't like about Chrysler is they keep throwing parts at the vehicles until they are fixed. They don't care if some of the parts they suggest don't fix the problem.
Old 23 Dec 2014, 03:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Go to auto parts stores and ask for a good mechanic.
When you hear the same name come up a few times, give them a try.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Dec 2014, 09:54 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snettles View Post
I just purchased a 2004 gt platnuim series from a used car lot , a day in the cars temperature guage went to hot alarm went off and then went back down again. Drove it to the store the other day came out of store after a couple hours started it up drove 25 feet and went into hot with alarm again. Checked radiator each time and was not hot. I took it to a shop and they checked it out and replaced water pump and timing belt v belt, found two struts that needed replaced, flushed system cost 1800.00. Still guage is going to hot with alarm have it in Chrysler and they said need head gaskets and need to send out to see if Pistons are warped another 2900.00. Hard to believe all this needs done when car is not getting hot and has 84000 miles , what do you think. And do you know a good place to take it to be sure before spending this kind of money.
Just my 2Cents here and im sure most everyone would agree "DO NOT trust" what your dealer tells you when it comes to major repairs on these.. {or any other machanic you dont know for that matter} as Don said , search around for someone with a good reputation ... unfortunately people love to pray on people with no knowledge ... sadly its all about getting your $$$ thats already $1800 you spent and still the problem isnt fixed , with the dealer wanting another $2900 .. your probably "Due" for the timming belt , water pump replacement , thats a given with these at or before 100K miles ... get 2 or 3 other opinions , Just my 2 cents , good luck

Last edited by boonie2; 23 Dec 2014 at 09:58 am.
Old 23 Dec 2014, 03:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: Does replacing parts ever stop with these cars?

Guy buys 10 year old PT Cruiser, and expects it to not need replacement parts?????
Trusts a used car lot without any vehicle history?????
Probably a guy who expects to marry a perfect wife! (OOps! ....make that "perfect man"!)
dougs likes this.

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 23 Dec 2014, 11:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cars need parts. that's why you see few cars 15 years old, and very few that are 20.
And it doesn't matter the brand, there's practically no 1993's of any type anymore